Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1st Magnaspark II Digital distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be down there next week to pick it up, Mark's going to set it up for me too.
I'll definitely give a full report.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC, with your vent setup, could you use a sintered bronze filter (commonly used in pneumatics) to prevent the ingress of dirt particles through the lower vent and into the body of the dizzy? I like you idea of flowing air through it but I've concerns over crap being sucked in and floating around inside

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
RC, with your vent setup, could you use a sintered bronze filter (commonly used in pneumatics) to prevent the ingress of dirt particles through the lower vent and into the body of the dizzy? I like you idea of flowing air through it but I've concerns over crap being sucked in and floating around inside
Yes I could have used the sintered bronze type but it wouldn't have looked as cool. Cool Really...all the air flow is thru a .016 orifice in the line out of the top of the cap so there is zero pressure differential on and virtually zero flow thru that filter. Nothing should pass thru it unless it is submerged and then we have bigger concerns than the distributor. With hi-energy type distributors and coils there is a fair amount of ionization in the cap from the rotor to cap gap. All I was trying to do is eliminate that while keeping dirt, water and mud out that might be induced by the small vacuum. I want to seal the cap to the body now as the final step but not until it's ready for it's 1st trip to hell.

Hope Pat and Mike don't jump down my throat over this but I needed a solution that was good for us and CB. I'm more hoping they'll say..."Hey, good idea." The port in the bottom of the housing is JB welded so as not to induce any tapping chips that could short the electronics.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
bigbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: 1641 12psi turbo with digital distributor Reply with quote

After noticing alot of talk about "how will the ditributor work for a turbo motor", I figured it was time for me to post my results so far.

Im running a 1641cc with, CB round poted cnc heads, large ratio rockers, chromoly pushrod tubes, other then 10mm head studs I have a stock bottom end. I have a switchzer? (no garantee on the spelling) turbo blowing thru an intercoller and ending up at dual 40mm DRLAs. Im running the turbo at 12 psi and have a blowoff on the intake. This motor is being ran in a fiberglass dune buggy that mostly gets the sh1t ran out of it in the desert and at pismo dunes.

(BTW if your running a turbo and don't have a blowoff valve on your intake then you are totally missing out on the power potential of your turbo!)

It took about half a day for me to setup vacum lines that are tapped into each intake manifold with an-3 hose. the four hoses end up in a small cylinder where they merge into a single hose running to the distributor. The reason for not using CBs vacum line setup was that my carbs are a pain to get on and off in this car and I already had my manifolds tapped from useing a digital carb syncronizer. Another bonus to this was that there is a large chamber for the engine vacum to stabilize, which gives a more accurate vacum reading to the distibutor.

The next step was installing and linking the distributor. This took about an hour to change plug wires and get my computer set up. Then the distributors base timing had to be matched to the engine, which was a little confusing, as to how the process goes, but after a call to Pat and some haed scratching I had it figured out.

When it first fired up my car wouldnt stay idleing (which I had occational issues with before). The cause of the poor idle was due to, haveing a larger amount of timing in at idle, then what the old distributer had. The fix for this was to put in larger idle jets. After this was sorted out, the motor came to life!

I can crank the motor over and after about half a revolution it fires up and stays idleing WITHOUT having to feather the throttle. This motor has never been able to do that previously.(plus it is cold and wet around here).

ROAD TEST!
The 10 psi turbo spark table that is pre programmed into the distributor is so far pretty close to what my motor likes, with exeption of moving the boost up to 12psi. The car takes off like never before up to the turbo kicking in. Where before when getting on the throttle from a dead stop it would have to run up to about 1500 rpm before the car would start to pull forward hard, now it happens right off idle! I didnt seem to notice a huge difference after the turbo came in, but the range up to makeing boost has made an incredible difference. Im still playing with the spark table at boost so there might be more there to discover also.

So far I would definately recomend it to any turbo guy.

thanks
Pat, Mark, Rick
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This distributor was overkill for what I actually needed. But it's really cool and straight out the box my 1679 ran smoother. But a float in the right carb when bad and I have had nothing but problems in general. But not with the ditributor. I must admit, I am green to the whole spark table setup. Does anyone know where I can research how to setup a custom spark table?? I want to set it up and do everything I can, then call CB and let them remote into it and see if any improvements can be made. Any thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
I'll look for the pix next week. My carbs are 45 dells. I am planning to purchase the magnaspark next week and the CSP linkage. I may end up going with CBs crossbar linkage depending on what your pixs show me.

Anyone else running the magnaspark and a centerpull linkage?

Thanks

Yes, but my centerpull is scat and my carbs are Weber 34 ICTs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY got the 2332 dry sump engine to the mountains with the "1st Magnaspark II Digital Distributor" ever purchased. I can tell you that this is well worth the effort to use and worked flawlessly. Thank you Pat Downs for offering another great CB product......call that positive feedback. The RC modified venting seems to have worked fine after Pat had said he wouldn't use this in mud and horrendous water. We (meaning my Nephew) gave it the acid test by running thru the WORST mucky mud and water I've seen that left him and the passenger actually dark green tinted.....yeah, really bad. He said he had just shifted into 3rd gear at about 75 mph into the water. He was coming out of a dust cloud and didn't see it until he was literally in it. This was Basically a shallow pond that covered most of what would have fit 4 lanes of paved road. so you get an idea of how big it was although only about 1-1/2 to 2 foot deep at the worst.

This engine is pretty much the extreme as far as short cam and high compression so we were able to set the initial timing to zero for cranking and then map in 7* at idle speed. I really appreciate the flexibility of the programming features of the II Digital.

Now most people here in Thesamba know what a big fan I am of the FK-42 (and the FK-40 series in general) and this engine uses it. Folks point out that it is only good to like 6000RPM and I always counter that the heads are the key and the cam follows. Manufacturer recommendations are fine as far as they go but they don't tell the whole story. The 1st time the engine went over 7500RPM.....yes 7500+ with the FK-42...it launched the fan belt which is driven by the tiny CB dry sump pulley so the Alt wasn't turning particularly fast compared to what it could have been turning.

Magnaspark II Digital=Win

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love mine! Had to do some tweaking last week...... The adjustability is almost limitless. Very Happy Happy camper here!

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockCrusher wrote:
FINALLY got the 2332 dry sump engine to the mountains with the "1st Magnaspark II Digital Distributor" ever purchased. I can tell you that this is well worth the effort to use and worked flawlessly. Thank you Pat Downs for offering another great CB product......call that positive feedback. The RC modified venting seems to have worked fine after Pat had said he wouldn't use this in mud and horrendous water. We (meaning my Nephew) gave it the acid test by running thru the WORST mucky mud and water I've seen that left him and the passenger actually dark green tinted.....yeah, really bad. He said he had just shifted into 3rd gear at about 75 mph into the water. He was coming out of a dust cloud and didn't see it until he was literally in it. This was Basically a shallow pond that covered most of what would have fit 4 lanes of paved road. so you get an idea of how big it was although only about 1-1/2 to 2 foot deep at the worst.

This engine is pretty much the extreme as far as short cam and high compression so we were able to set the initial timing to zero for cranking and then map in 7* at idle speed. I really appreciate the flexibility of the programming features of the II Digital.

Now most people here in Thesamba know what a big fan I am of the FK-42 (and the FK-40 series in general) and this engine uses it. Folks point out that it is only good to like 6000RPM and I always counter that the heads are the key and the cam follows. Manufacturer recommendations are fine as far as they go but they don't tell the whole story. The 1st time the engine went over 7500RPM.....yes 7500+ with the FK-42...it launched the fan belt which is driven by the tiny CB dry sump pulley so the Alt wasn't turning particularly fast compared to what it could have been turning.

Magnaspark II Digital=Win

RC
Just to let people know. We will be releasing a complete crank trigger magnaspark kit late this summer. We are having tremendous results with the digital distributor but there are those who want a crank trigger kit. We will continue to offer the digital distributor and update the software if or when it is needed.
The crank trigger kit will work sequential or wasted spark using internal coil drivers unlike the Megajolt unit. The kit will come complete with ecu, software, bolt on trigger wheel and VR sensor mount, VR sensor, harness, coil with plug wires, plug for the distributor drive, cam synch for sequential kit. No fabrication will be required just bolt on and go. Price is going to be right at $500.00 for the complete wasted spark kit and $600.00 for the sequential kit.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat this is good news for my upcoming fi/turbo package project I intend to build using your quicktune kit. Your crankfire system I assume will be compatible with each other?

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Pat this is good news for my upcoming fi/turbo package project I intend to build using your quicktune kit. Your crankfire system I assume will be compatible with each other?

I'm interested in this answer also, as I have the quicktune on my EFI/turbo engine that is in storage... would love to ditch the MSD and CB's coil and run crankfire, if it plays well with the quicktune... Laughing

GEX has. Just sayin
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 4th holiday mountain trip giving the Magnaspark a big workout at the hill climbs

Link

During the vid when you see the bottom of the hill where the trail runs near the water, picture coming straight up that grade to where the camera is. That is the real hill climb but the grade is not smoothed yet. Hope to vid that on the next trip.

Enjoy
RC

jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I got my newest Hotvw mag in today. What joy that I got to read about CBperformance's crankfire kit in the making. Cant wait till they finish all the preliminary tests and ween out any problems and start offering it out to us. If you want to get a small taste of what they are working on its in the newest Hotvw mag. Hope they get it to work with Serp set ups soon too.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Well,
I got my newest Hotvw mag in today. What joy that I got to read about CBperformance's crankfire kit in the making. Cant wait till they finish all the preliminary tests and ween out any problems and start offering it out to us. If you want to get a small taste of what they are working on its in the newest Hotvw mag. Hope they get it to work with Serp set ups soon too.

I was planning on purchasing the MagnaPark setup but decided to wait on the crankfired kit.
On a side note if you just got your subscription issue today I purchased mine at the newsstand 10 days ago. I cancelled my subscription about 10yrs ago because of this. In my excitement to read all the articles and see the feature cars, I would end up purchasing the newsstand copy everytime time while waited on my subscription issue.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the september issue. Subscriptions are always faster for me. Hawaii is always behind the states. I got my eye on the sequential set up.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

KevinR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey how about a type 3 version of that crankfire kit? Lots of us would be interested in it, you need a wheel that will mount on the outer fan...
VW Fact #128: Benefits of the Type III: better visibility, more space for people and objects, improved comfort, better roadhandling, reduced oversteer, less sensitivity to cross-winds, and more power.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinR wrote:
Hey how about a type 3 version of that crankfire kit? Lots of us would be interested in it, you need a wheel that will mount on the outer fan...

There is a guy asking if anyone wants to buy wheels if he does a run in a thread in the type3 forum right now.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread got bumped.....I will add that the MagII Digital is still running fabulously in the nephews buggy and hasn't had a single hiccup. I am glad though that we added the breather since he's a maniac in the mud. I should add a muddy picture of the thing just to give Pat a heart attack. Don't worry Pat, if it fails under these conditions, it's no fault of CB.

RC

wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank trigger kit sounds awesome. Will I need anything else to make it work or will the kit be complete at $500-600?
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any photos of the installon a type 3 motor? buying a duraspark kit for mine but want to be ready for the typical type three "some modification needed" factor my car is famous for. Spoke with MArk @ Cb today and think it makes sense whiel most of the feed back has been positive or at least encouraging.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: