Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible advice
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
augg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Convertible advice Reply with quote

I was wondering if I could get the opin/advice from all of the convertible owners regarding replacement.... What company did you go with? Did you try to tackle on your own or have a local shop install? If you did have a local place, what to expect to pay for install...

My bug was fire damaged and I am trying to restore. This going slowly but we are making progress. Hopefully I will get the paint done first and then focus on the top... Is this the correct order? Thanks, augg
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you any advice as far as the correct sequence for assembly goes, but I will say that Chuck's convertible parts is the shop that you need to deal with for parts, and maybe assembly of the top if you're close enough. Chuck goes by the name "bighitter2" on Samba, and seems like a good guy.
Post pics!! And good luck on the build.
LONE369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Chuck Reply with quote

I ordered door seals from Chuck. When you call Chuck, guess what. Check answers the phone. I doubt Mr. CIP1 answer the phone. He gave me advise as to proper installation. I have no doubt that if you decide to install the top yourself that if you got twisted or in a pinch, he would take the time to help you get through it.

When I redo my top I am going with Chuck.
kburg12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately do the paint first! The top is fairly simple to install, depending on whether you go with a stock application with the glass rear window or the quicker tops with the plastic window already installed. I did my own top and learned alot by doing the work myself.

68 Convertible Beetle
09 Tiguan
09 Beetle
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be replacing my top/padding/headliner this coming Spring after my vert finishes it's winter slumber. Have looked at many vendors and have definitely decided to purchase what I need from Chucks. Seems like a very good guy and very positive feedback on the Samba...and pricing is very competitive. Actually, will be purchasing his install manual in the next month or so to study over winter. For what it costs to have someone do the top, pretty sure it's something my wife and I can do ourselves by taking our time.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine replaced by an auto upholstery shop that works on vintage and collectible cars. They refinished the frame for me and a body shop next door to them did some metal repair and repainting around the edges of the body.

The shop let me buy the necessary parts myself. I believe I bought most if not all of what I needed from Chuck's. It was 8 years ago. I was very happy with the result.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
augg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I will give Chuck a call... I hope that the frame can survive and just replace the vinyl and headliner.... many thanks, augg
76TXBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get any idea on cost? I plan to give Chuck a call, but am also interested in finding out what a shop would charge before I walk in there.
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote for $800 + parts from a local auto upholstery shop.

That's why I decided to try myself this coming spring.

If yours is like mine, it'll be more than the top....also need to replace some of the rubber pieces, bow over rear window and sand/POR-15 the vert frame. None of this was part of the $800 - just fitting top/headliner/padding and inserting the rear window.
Bierboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julrich366 wrote:
I got a quote for $800 + parts from a local auto upholstery shop.

That's why I decided to try myself this coming spring.

If yours is like mine, it'll be more than the top....also need to replace some of the rubber pieces, bow over rear window and sand/POR-15 the vert frame. None of this was part of the $800 - just fitting top/headliner/padding and inserting the rear window.

Most upholstery shops (not all) charge an arm and a leg for their work. And quality is sometimes questionable...even with one highly recommended. I had a highly recommended local shop replace the padding in my top after I bought the car last year. It was pricey, and the job they did was just OK...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: