Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member and need some help with my 73 VW Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go girl! Nice work. Good for you for being hands on. You should pop that overrider off your front bumper, and then hit the bumper with a nice coat of white after a little prep work. Keep at it.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thanks, I took your idea today. Only got the front bumper done, but heres how it looks now:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't got much done sadly Crying or Very sad But I do have all the replacement panels I need on the way. I decided to go all out this year for Christmas and wanted to decorate the bus, so I put a wreath on it and put lights in the inside with frosty driving and hung stocking from the curtain rod between my seats (guess ya get bored in the long, harsh Nebraska winters) Rolling Eyes

Locks were frozen today. I need to go get a block heater and some white lithium spray.
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a club meeting last night. I'm in charge of setting up and running our spring cruise/campout (they just volunteer the youngest to do this sort of thing Laughing ) Anyway I got handed a box of parts, so this is what all I got:

Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabbs wrote:
I need to go get a block heater and some white lithium spray.

Almost puked in my eggnog when I read this ... I am a committed enemy of that horrendous sticky lazy man's crap "lithium spray". I hate it, particularly when sprayed indiscriminately all over the door hinges and sliding door components.

The photographs below are the results of swearing off that goopy garbage:

To successfully lubricate body hardware, you need to go in a focused way. For example, as seen in the photographs above, you can clean and wax the sliding door tracks and merely *oil* the roller where it rotates on the spindle of the support. Front door hinges before about 1976 had reservoirs for, again, engine oil. Grease is good in fingernail quantities for the striker plate pins and wedges, anything that has to take a slide.

The door latches hate that white lithium after a summer of drying out. They, too, like when you get in to the mechanism with engine oil at pivots and grease at contact or sliding surfaces.

To get through a Nebraska winter (I ain't taking anything apart out there, its cold!!) door sticking, I am not past hitting the key slot with WD-40 (and the place where you can see the whole cylinder rotate in the door handle), followed by a dusting of graphite on the key's working surfaces and running it into the lock cylinder a few times.
Colin

(sliding door hinge lubrication points, for example, no blobs o'grease, just engine oil in the lubrication ports - just the green and purple arrows!)

Last edited by Amskeptic on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
gabbs wrote:
I need to go get a block heater and some white lithium spray.

Almost puked in my eggnog when I read this ... I am a committed enemy of that horrendous sticky lazy man's crap "lithium spray". I hate it, particularly when sprayed indiscriminately all over the door hinges and sliding door components.

The photographs below are the results of swearing off that goopy garbage:

To successfully lubricate body hardware, you need to go in a focused way. For example, as seen in the photographs above, you can clean and wax the sliding door tracks and merely *oil* the roller where it rotates on the spindle of the support. Front door hinges before about 1976 had reservoirs for, again, engine oil. Grease is good in fingernail quantities for the striker plate pins and wedges, anything that has to take a slide.

The door latches hate that white lithium after a summer of drying out. They, too, like when you get in to the mechanism with engine oil at pivots and grease at contact or sliding surfaces.

To get through a Nebraska winter (I ain't taking anything apart out there, its cold!!) door sticking, I am not past hitting the key slot with WD-40 (and the place where you can see the whole cylinder rotate in the door handle), followed by a dusting of graphite on the key's working surfaces and running it into the lock cylinder a few times.
Colin

(sliding door hinge lubrication points, for example, no blobs o'grease, just engine oil in the lubrication ports - just the green and purple arrows!)

Okay. You know best, I will take your advice. Thank you for telling me!!
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabbs wrote:

Okay. You know best, I will take your advice. Thank you for telling me!!

Very Happy
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, wish I would have known about the engine oil and slider before I lubed mine. I did the white lithium grease and sprayed WD40 on spots I couldn't grease. Guess that will make a good spring/summer project. Clean all grease off and lube with engine oil! Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcruzin wrote:
Boy, wish I would have known about the engine oil and slider before I lubed mine. I did the white lithium grease and sprayed WD40 on spots I couldn't grease. Guess that will make a good spring/summer project. Clean all grease off and lube with engine oil! Very Happy

Yes, then you can invite your friends in big white hats to board the bus without picking up a grease stripe.
Colin
(a light coat of grease on the sliding door rail where the plastic hinge rider slides under the side cover is good)
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say goodbye to my beloved first love today. I'm trying to sell her as I have found other interests ('73 fastback) and decided I cannot provide the care and body work she needs on my own. I just feel like she wants better and I did the best I could in making her what she is. Thank you everyone who provided help and great info. It was sure one hell of a ride and I learned SO SO SO much. I will miss her more than anyone understands. I will never forget camping out in the driveway, the first time I saw her, the first time I saw her actually drive or all the times I got honked at with my butt leaning out of the engine. Laughing I still have Buddy, my '74 bay from Kansas that I will be working on and will always love fat chick buses Thanks again guys. Love, Peace and VW grease.
Always.
Gabbs and Lucy Ann
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
Fullerton'71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're selling your bus? As long as you're staying with the air-cooled family it's alright.
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started up Lucy this afternoon and went to the gas station, filled her up and got ready for a long drive in the Nebraska country side. I pulled over by the lake and parked. I got in the back and just sat there and thought for about 45 minutes. I then decided I will not be selling her. Yes, the Fastback I am interested in is really nice and clean, but Lucy and I share a bond. So I infact will be keeping her and devote my time to fixing her. Guess I just ran out of inspiration, and became frusterated..but I know I can do it.
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease

Last edited by gabbs on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you're discovering the attachment to your inner self thing here.
like many of us I own and have owned multiple aircooled VWs over the many years.. but they are like cats when compared to a VW bus. which is true & loyal and steadfast as a well mannered (or not) dog.
and while I like cats, like my other vintage VWs they take 2nd string to my inner self in VW campers & dogs..
it's the call of the open road, even if just a trip around the local countryside that eases worldy worries (while still listening to each noise and whine)
take a roadtrip down the east(or west) coast across some Mtns and some open land and while the vintage VW cars have some of the fahrvergnugen it is complete in a VW bus (Bays & Vanagons for me)

gabbs wrote:
I started up Lucy this afternoon and went to the gas station, filled her up and got ready for a long drive in the Nebraska country side. I pulled over by the lake and parked. I got in the back and just sat there and thought for about 45 minutes. I then decided I will not be selling her. Yes, the Fastback I am interested in is really nice and clean, but Lucy and I share a bond. So I infact will be keeping her. I'm just going to fix a few little things and enjoy the crud out of her like this afternoon, me and her and the open country.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I'm sure you're discovering the attachment to your inner self thing here.
like many of us I own and have owned multiple aircooled VWs over the many years.. but they are like cats when compared to a VW bus. which is true & loyal and steadfast as a well mannered (or not) dog.
and while I like cats, like my other vintage VWs they take 2nd string to my inner self in VW campers & dogs..
it's the call of the open road, even if just a trip around the local countryside that eases worldy worries (while still listening to each noise and whine)
take a roadtrip down the east(or west) coast across some Mtns and some open land and while the vintage VW cars have some of the fahrvergnugen it is complete in a VW bus (Bays & Vanagons for me)
gabbs wrote:
I started up Lucy this afternoon and went to the gas station, filled her up and got ready for a long drive in the Nebraska country side. I pulled over by the lake and parked. I got in the back and just sat there and thought for about 45 minutes. I then decided I will not be selling her. Yes, the Fastback I am interested in is really nice and clean, but Lucy and I share a bond. So I infact will be keeping her. I'm just going to fix a few little things and enjoy the crud out of her like this afternoon, me and her and the open country.

I couldn't agree more. As they say "You don't find the bus, the bus finds you." Very Happy...Ya she def found me, now I'm completely addicted.
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fat chick song you sang popped in my head yesterday, and I realized I hadn't seen what you had done here since I last posted. Incredible journey! I'm glad you're keeping it. I almost got a squareback a couple months ago, but there's just no way in hell I'd get rid of my bus. The frustration that comes with these ancient behemoths is just part of it. Got any updates for us? Razz

my motto:
If you want another acvw, just save and add to the collection!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my back bumper off and a face full of rust haha. I made some pretty nice curtains, Ill see if I can post a pic later. I just got back from the Mokan show in Weston, Missouri. I met a lot of cool people and a ton of people I've wanted to meet for awhile. There were many gorgeous Volkswagens. I got a Cobra cb radio and a Sapphire from a friend, but I haven't decided on what I want to do with those yet...any ideas? Also I've been thinking about trading my seats for a zbed...any thoughts on that? I'll post pics soon.
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics from Weston, MO
http://m1111.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Gabbie_Rainey/facebook_-770756458.jpg.html?newest=1
http://m1111.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Gabb...p;newest=1
Now for my bus...
http://m1111.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Gabb...p;newest=1 <type 4 engine with a Jacob Raby upright conversion kit I helped rebuild
http://m1111.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Gabb...p;newest=1 < what i do at the beach Smile
http://m1111.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Gabb...p;newest=1 <my new braclet
[/img]
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabbs wrote:
ummm imma girl, and i like guys... so boyfriends will like my bus??

Don't let boyfriends make off with your bus. Just some good advice.
gabbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeO. wrote:
gabbs wrote:
ummm imma girl, and i like guys... so boyfriends will like my bus??

Don't let boyfriends make off with your bus. Just some good advice.

Haha oh they know better. Thats the first thing we cover.
Wink
Omaha VW Club Secretary
Love, Peace, VW grease
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: