Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

So long story short, this bus and an old purple flake hard top dune buggy were left on this farmers property over 35 years ago he said. Nobody knows the owners. Nobody knows about any paperwork. And guess what! "I don't wanna sell those. I have plans to restore them!" muttered out from under a 75 year old beard and mustache....

Seems to me it has OEM EVERYTHING! Engine was intact, all the windows are solid, keys are still in the ignition and it has the original license plates! Boggles the brain when people won't let go of 1 item like that, when he had over 20 other vehicles sitting around it, doing the same thing. Rotting back into the ground. Then again, "he has plans."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^^ That happens more often than you might expect. We all know of some VW somewhere that is just rotting away because the owner "is gonna restore that some day!" He's also putting a Porsche motor in it, and it was once owned by Steve McQueen.

You don't want that bus anyway, it's a 72. Wink
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ That happens more often than you might expect. We all know of some VW somewhere that is just rotting away because the owner "is gonna restore that some day!" He's also putting a Porsche motor in it, and it was once owned by Steve McQueen.

whoa whoa whoa..... a "porch" motor!

1. How do you tell what year it is by a glance? (still learning the tricks)
2. Would this be the magic "yellow poo bucket" camper year? Or was there a certain model that yellow bucket came in? Still foggy on the mythical yellow bucket rules...

Little longer story; it turns out we may know the farmer who owns the land. This was in a abandoned trailer park, he has on his property, which only 1 (possibly dead, or in jail) trailer park tenant may still live. The ex-wife of the possible tenant is the one who said they didnt want to get rid of that because of the "restore plans." Friends of the family know the farmer and hes a "gun guy" who might trade me for the right gun. Perks of having my own gun business. My sisters husband's 3rd step-dad's girlfriend's younger brother is the possibly dead, possible jail guy living in the trailer park. needless to say, we know a LOT of people around the SE Washington area due to farming and rodeo Very Happy
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

whoa whoa whoa..... a "porch" motor!

1. How do you tell what year it is by a glance? (still learning the tricks)
2. Would this be the magic "yellow poo bucket" camper year? Or was there a certain model that yellow bucket came in? Still foggy on the mythical yellow bucket rules...

Little longer story; it turns out we may know the farmer who owns the land. This was in a abandoned trailer park, he has on his property, which only 1 (possibly dead, or in jail) trailer park tenant may still live. The ex-wife of the possible tenant is the one who said they didnt want to get rid of that because of the "restore plans." Friends of the family know the farmer and hes a "gun guy" who might trade me for the right gun. Perks of having my own gun business. My sisters husband's 3rd step-dad's girlfriend's younger brother is the possibly dead, possible jail guy living in the trailer park. needless to say, we know a LOT of people around the SE Washington area due to farming and rodeo Very Happy

Gotta love connections. Many a business deal has been made because you know the third cousin of someone's brother-in-law's sister.

The visual clue to it being a 72 are the low front turn signals with the tall rectangular tail lights, and the square upper rear vents. That only happened for 1972. 72 is the first year for the type 4 based engine, and the only type 4 without a top engine access hatch. Being a limber young contortionist will aid you in 1972 bus engine repair and maintenance.

Not sure on the yellow bucket thing. I know it is "later" Westy stuff, but I do not know a cutoff date. I stick with early bays and splits generally.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: 74 Westy scored.. Reply with quote

Picked up this Westy a while back and thought I'd share. Has pretty much everything, not very rusty. Just missing the engine but has the original tranny still. It is the first bus I've ever picked that actually had all the keys with it, no hassling with new latches and having to put in an ignition!

I was curious for feedback on the Westy interior. My first Westy. The furniture seems pretty nice to me, was this a score or is it usually nicer?

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Nice score on this 74 - to answer the post before you - the yellow pail makes its appearance in 74 - this nice score westy above. Mr Dubbernaut the 72 you found would not have one AND its not a westy but a Rivi Wink Double X - Still a nice looking camper find.

AS350driver your westy is a 2 year floor plan and color. 74-75 are their own little Westfalia segment. Look in my sig line - Im restoring a 74 westy hard top and other stuff you can find here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545737&highlight=1974+1975

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Nice score on this 74 - to answer the post before you - the yellow pail makes its appearance in 74 - this nice score westy above. Mr Dubbernaut the 72 you found would not have one AND its not a westy but a Rivi Wink Double X - Still a nice looking camper find.

AS350driver your westy is a 2 year floor plan and color. 74-75 are their own little Westfalia segment. Look in my sig line - Im restoring a 74 westy hard top and other stuff you can find here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545737&highlight=1974+1975

Thanks! I heard the 72's are odd transition years with a 1 year body. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. I also learned that the westy tops are angled or hinged at the back and the Riviera's are fully raised when open. That correct?
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Yes I wondered if the blue/green mattresses went with the yellow exterior paint with green door panels. Kinda a lot of colors at once.
sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

yes body color seems bali yellow and it comes with blue/green upholstery from westfalia

Dogs are the most precious and valuable possession of mankind. VWs are second!

'73 Neptune blue safare camper
'71 Neptune blue tintop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
I also learned that the westy tops are angled or hinged at the back and the Riviera's are fully raised when open. That correct?

Blue one is a Riv, yellow is a late westy. Early westy angled the opposite direction when opened.

rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

My kids and I had fun pulling this 73 out of the trees yesterday. It needs lots of clean up and then we can decide what we are going to do with it. Excited to have some more fun with them and the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:

My kids and I had fun pulling this 73 out of the trees yesterday.

YAY! Another bay is saved!!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Solid Montana Red, recently bought out of Oregon. Has Eugene, Or. stickers from '78....and Go Reds, so a Big Red fan I'm sure.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:

My kids and I had fun pulling this 73 out of the trees yesterday. It needs lots of clean up and then we can decide what we are going to do with it. Excited to have some more fun with them and the bus.

Nice crew cab!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
rcowan wrote:

Nice crew cab!

Good eye.... and thank you! Surprised
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Man, how do people find these "in the woods" busses. I'd love to get my hands on another bus and bring it back from the dead. I always get the impression around here (NC) things are pretty picked clean.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

The secret? UPS drivers like IPA's.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

So do cops Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

So do cops Wink

And HVAC service guys. And LP gas/heating oil delivery guys. And...
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^^ Three things.

1) It's a 70.

B) It belongs in the whines thread as an overpriced turd.

3) I thought we had agreed that bus hunting did not include internet finds?

EDIT: What happened to the POS black bus that was just posted here from a CL ad in the Carolinas somewhere? Now my post above really sounds weird.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 66 of 100

Jump to: