Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Cooling and Cabin Heating System Tutorial
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
animes2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, doing some research and poking around under the car after getting a bit of annoying smell in the cabin (hot crayons?), I discovered a couple of possible issues:

1. The heater hoses from the heater boxes to the body (black plastic dryer hose looking pieces) are cracked and not clamped in place. I have no rear heat outlets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(borrowed image)

my actual car

2. The flaps on the top of the heater boxes have no connection on their levers (the car has no thermostat, from the factory - 1600i) - as seen in the top left of this pic, with the spring. Although the heater control works fine, if a little stiff.

3. The bottom of the heater tubes going through the lower tin have no gaskets

Are all of these problems? After reading this thread, it seems so.
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: If the "dryer hoses" are cracked, they should be replaced because they can let in some funny smells and possible carbon monoxide from the exhaust. Also, realize that there are no clamps on them. I purchased new OE hoses from Antonio Trejo, and they have a collar on the inside of one end that slides onto the heat exchanger very tightly.

2:The spring pictured in that photo is not a factory thing. I simply installed it because my heat didn't want to turn off when I pushed the lever down! I have since replaced the heat exchangers and those springs are gone. That is not related to the thermostat (or your car's lack of one). Don't worry about that spring.

3:There should be a seal around the pass-through coupler for the fresh air tubes. If your exhaust is not stock (like mine) you may need to remove the seals so you can run the tube directly to the heat exchanger. While I don't want to say it's okay to be missing those seals, mine hasn't had them for years and all has been good. The hose OD is very close to the ID of the hole in the tin though, so there really is no air gap.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
argottschall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions about the heating system in my 1971 Standard Beetle. I'm relatively new to the aircooled world (got mine in February). One of the rubber flaps that closes the hot air vent under the back seat is missing, does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I've looked all over and had no luck so far.

Also, I don't seem to be getting any heat through the vents in the dash. This may be because I can't close off the floor heat due to the missing flap, but it seems like at least a little heat should still come through. All the ducting up front under the hood seems to be connected, but I can't figure out how to check the connection down in the "black hole." I have small arms, but not that small...

Last thing, the previous owner put in a new headliner, and neglected to cut out any holes for the vents around the rear window. I've sliced some small holes through the headliner around the holes to allow airflow, and I'm hoping there are some type of plastic vent pieces that go in these holes. I haven't been able to find any of these pieces either. I've got awhile till winter, but when it gets here, I'd like to stay nice and warm!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you posted a "Wanted" ad in the "Classifieds"?
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argottschall wrote:
I don't seem to be getting any heat through the vents in the dash. This may be because I can't close off the floor heat due to the missing flap,

That'd be why. Heat will blast out of those rear vents if you can't shut them off, and relatively little will make its way forward.

argottschall wrote:
the previous owner put in a new headliner, and neglected to cut out any holes for the vents around the rear window. I've sliced some small holes through the headliner around the holes to allow airflow, and I'm hoping there are some type of plastic vent pieces that go in these holes.

These? They're one year only, Samba member jamesdagg has managed to get them reproduced. Not cheap, but if you need them it'd be well worth it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1099286
argottschall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look right, thanks! Wish they weren't so expensive...
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Mr Windish Reply with quote

Thank you for your tutorial on the heating system. The one part you left out is the one that is broken on my Bug,I don't know what it is called it attaches to the rear firewall with two bolts on one end and attaches to the stretch hose with a clamp on the other end. The end that goes through the fire wall attaches to the "y" that you mentioned. I am new to this site and do not know how to post a pic. I have a 74 Super Beetle My first one. The part # on the part is 11255 415F . My part is broken and do not know where to find it.Any help would be wonderful Thank you very much. my email is [email protected] Scott O
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Windish Reply with quote

oshawsc wrote:
11255 415F

If that is a VW part number it is incomplete. Please try again. Should be nine digits and a letter suffix if the part was improved.
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mr Windish Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
oshawsc wrote:
11255 415F

If that is a VW part number it is incomplete. Please try again. Should be nine digits and a letter suffix if the part was improved.
That is the only # on the part. If you could tell me how to post a picture on here I will send a picture of the part. Thank you
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Windish Reply with quote

oshawsc wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
oshawsc wrote:
11255 415F

That is the only # on the part. If you could tell me how to post a picture on here I will send a picture of the part. Thank you
OK i figured out how to post pictures to the gallery so click on that to see my 74 Super Beetle and the mystery part I still don't know how to post picks like you guy's do. Thank you for your help.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-255-415-F
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-255-416-F
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
You are so awesome thank you very much.
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
beetle bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an issue with my fresh air hose coming off and wrapping into my belt and fan today on a short drive. I'm very happy this post was back at the top it is VERY helpful. I will deff. go through and read the rest of the 11 pages when I can. For now though I'm not gonna drive my beetle bug anywhere until I get new hoses put back on. (It's gonna suck to 'cause she's my daily)

On another note I was looking for the couplings that go around the exhaust pipe for the heaters with no luck for an after market header. I am very please to see that I won't find them and I'll be able to just route the fresh air hose direct to the heat exchangers.

Thanks for the write up!!
Steve4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Question about exhaust clamps Reply with quote

I ordered an exhaust clamp kit for 1970 VW Beetle and I am confused about the presence of one ring (I am thinking that I need four).

I see the four clamps for the two exhaust pipes and two heat exchangers; 4 nuts for the manifold studs (MCool; [ha ha, M8 turned into a smiley face] 4 bolts for the small pipes that connect to the carbeuretor (M6) and their two gaskets. But there is one large ring (in the plastic, see arrow). I thought this was to go around the pipe, and the clamps go over the top. So shouldn't they have sent me four?

The set in the kit below is for one of the four clamps and it has its own ring:
http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-298-051-GR
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oshawsc wrote:
mnussbau wrote:
OK so I now have the right part. The old part came out easy because it was broken I can not figure out how to get the new part in there is not enough room between the floor and the round bar that goes from side to side. Any help or suggestions Please. I am at my wits ends Thank you very much.
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I now have the right part. The old part came out easy because it was broken I can not figure out how to get the new part in there is not enough room between the floor and the round bar that goes from side to side. Any help or suggestions Please. I am at my wits ends Thank you very much.http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-255-415-F the part is BAKELITE HEATER AIR CONNECTOR TUBE UNDER REAR SEAT - LEFT SIDE
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Question about exhaust clamps Reply with quote

Steve4444 wrote:
I ordered an exhaust clamp kit for 1970 VW Beetle and I am confused about the presence of one ring (I am thinking that I need four).

I see the four clamps for the two exhaust pipes and two heat exchangers; 4 nuts for the manifold studs (MCool; [ha ha, M8 turned into a smiley face] 4 bolts for the small pipes that connect to the carbeuretor (M6) and their two gaskets. But there is one large ring (in the plastic, see arrow). I thought this was to go around the pipe, and the clamps go over the top. So shouldn't they have sent me four?

The set in the kit below is for one of the four clamps and it has its own ring:
http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-298-051-GR

Yes, the kit should have come with four of those. They are the donut gaskets that make up the seal at the joint. When you procure the rest of them and go to install it, what I have found is that a little bit of muffler putty/cement on both sides of the donut will make a nice, positive seal. I have struggled with sealing in that area until I started using muffler cement. This is especially true when using aftermarket exhaust systems that don't quite line up properly.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oshawsc wrote:
OK so I now have the right part. The old part came out easy because it was broken I can not figure out how to get the new part in there is not enough room between the floor and the round bar that goes from side to side. Any help or suggestions Please. I am at my wits ends Thank you very much.http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-255-415-F the part is BAKELITE HEATER AIR CONNECTOR TUBE UNDER REAR SEAT - LEFT SIDE

I have never done that job, but from what I have seen, you either need to trim some of the material off so it can be sneaked into place, or you will have to unbolt the body and lift the body up a little bit.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-Engle W110 cam
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
oshawsc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Windisch wrote:
oshawsc wrote:

I have never done that job, but from what I have seen, you either need to trim some of the material off so it can be sneaked into place, or you will have to unbolt the body and lift the body up a little bit.
I tried to take some material off. That didn't work. I broke the new part trying to put it in. I have to wait for a new part.Now i need to know how to raise the body up this should be a lot of fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: