Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Cooling and Cabin Heating System Tutorial
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trebor13 wrote:
And how hot wil that be?

Melting temp of plastic depends on the plastic used.

EG OG fuse box are much more resistant to melting than new repro ones.

Would hazard a guess below 250 F for HE output, but you could cut a sample of the plastic tube in question and report back with what temp it melts at.
trebor13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about the hoses that connect to the engine-exhaust heaterboxes.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well those have cool air flowing thru them when engine is running. VW did go to plastic tubes there in the late 1970s or sometime in the 1980s.

Have a couple of boxes of NOS VW plastic fresh air hoses around here somewhere....
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vents that let out by your feet are also plastic yet there have been reports of those who's casettes have melted from being next to these same vents. The point is not all plastics melt at the same temperature.
trebor13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is airbags that are close to the hoses.
Since i'm in the netherlands i need the heat also! So i need to insulate the hoses, but how much???
Thanxs

Edit: typo Rolling Eyes
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trebor13 wrote:
Problem is airbags that are close to the hoses.
Since i'm in the netherlands i need the heat also! So i need to insulate the hoses, but how much???
Thanxs

Edit: typo Rolling Eyes

Good question! When we get to -40º F (-40º C) the more heat the better.
I'm going to try first making sure all is sealed off. Then find a way to vent interior air out so more heat can blow in. As far as insulating goes, someting shiny like aluminum foil wrapped on heater ducts and hoses ought to help. Maybe some fiberglass in between?
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions. First, when I got my bug, it was summer in Florida. So I didn't look in to the heat much. Now we got a cold spell. If I pull the two levers between the seats, I get heat out of the floor vents. I think (but not sure) that the heat is stronger if the drivers lever is down.

But in any case, cold air comes out of the defrosters and the dash vents. I opened the hood and found that there are three hoses that come up from corners. Two of them are capped and the other goes up to the corner defrosters. The center box use to have tape over the top where the hood vents line up. I had torn that off, so I put a piece of rubber over that and closed the hood. I was thinking that the air was getting pressured up from that.

That helped slow down the cold air coming form the vents, but not quit. Now I understand that there should be hoses all over under there. But I don't understand why there is no heat from the corner defrosters. I plan to cover the dash vents from the back with foam for my short winter. I feel that I could live with the heat at my feet if there was no cold air on my face. Am I making any siense?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helirich wrote:
Some questions. First, when I got my bug, it was summer in Florida. So I didn't look in to the heat much. Now we got a cold spell. If I pull the two levers between the seats, I get heat out of the floor vents. I think (but not sure) that the heat is stronger if the drivers lever is down.

But in any case, cold air comes out of the defrosters and the dash vents. I opened the hood and found that there are three hoses that come up from corners. Two of them are capped and the other goes up to the corner defrosters. The center box use to have tape over the top where the hood vents line up. I had torn that off, so I put a piece of rubber over that and closed the hood. I was thinking that the air was getting pressured up from that.

That helped slow down the cold air coming form the vents, but not quit. Now I understand that there should be hoses all over under there. But I don't understand why there is no heat from the corner defrosters. I plan to cover the dash vents from the back with foam for my short winter. I feel that I could live with the heat at my feet if there was no cold air on my face. Am I making any siense?

One lever opens the heat flaps on the heat exchangers. If you're getting foot heat that lever must be working. The other cuts off rear foot heat to get more up front. You have to take off your rear seat to check. Or sometimes you can look down into them and see the flap. But in any case it sounds like they might not be working unless you were refering exclusively to the front vents.

If all your hoses are missing then yes, you need to either block everything off or get the missing parts and fix.

Another thing, you probably don't have a thermostat with flaps. That right there is the most important part of the heating system other than the exchangers. It not only keeps the engine up to running temps but it also directs a whole lot more air through the heating system. More heat + more air = happy driver.
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
davinkane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have found this thread!

So the levers between the seats, keep them down to stay warm? It's cold here and I have only a little heat coming from the floor vents. None of the knobs are marked on the dash, but one of them turns on a fan, seemingly to the defrost only.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davinkane wrote:
Glad to have found this thread!

So the levers between the seats, keep them down to stay warm? It's cold here and I have only a little heat coming from the floor vents. None of the knobs are marked on the dash, but one of them turns on a fan, seemingly to the defrost only.

The VW air cooled heating system is completely different than any other car. So forget how other cars have fan switches and heat knobs.

The fan you turned on is the fresh air fan. It pulls in cold air. For heat that needs to be off. There are also some knobs on the dash that shut off flaps to the fresh air fan box and they need to be closed too. If they are open you will get cold air blowing in from the car moving into the wind.

With the fresh air system shut off you pull one floor lever up, the left one if I'm thinking correctly, to get heat, and you pull both for defrost. There is no heater fan. The engine cooling fan is the heater fan.

If you aren't getting enough heat either you don't have all the heater parts, like the thermostat, hoses, etc, or you have leaks. Read this thread from page 1.
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great write-up...thank you!
dstrava
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great articles and post here! I am trying to figure out the defrost on my '71 Super. I can see on both side in the trunk the triple connection. I assume that one of these goes to the fresh air and then to the defrost. I cannot see/find where the hose connects off of the triple connect that goes down the side of the body. Any info on where the three connections should go and how I can replace the single hose below the connector?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstrava wrote:
Great articles and post here! I am trying to figure out the defrost on my '71 Super. I can see on both side in the trunk the triple connection. I assume that one of these goes to the fresh air and then to the defrost. I cannot see/find where the hose connects off of the triple connect that goes down the side of the body. Any info on where the three connections should go and how I can replace the single hose below the connector?

As far as where they go one goes to the A pillar, which defrosts the corner, the other to the elbow on the fresh air box and the last one goes to the center defroster.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dstrava
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this info! Do you know if all of three hoses are 32mm? 38mm from the conector to the body? This is for a '71
Suoer Beetle.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstrava wrote:
Thanks a lot for this info! Do you know if all of three hoses are 32mm? 38mm from the conector to the body? This is for a '71
Suoer Beetle.

I can't quite remember off hand the measurements. The hoses that go to the center are smaller
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, I'm rebuilding an motor and I'm trying to collect all the missing parts such as flaps. Are the flaps, non doghouse and doghouse type the same or were there some changes? If I buy non doghouse flaps I'll have to buy the extended connectors to make it work for the doghouse I have right now?
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same.

Early or later connectors will work fine. Cross linkage is different.
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I'll buy those parts then.
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the article. But not the 13 pages of thread...

Is there anything wrong with the rear vents being disconnected and shut off. That's the case in my '67 type 1. PO put speakers in the kick panels. And duct taped off the heater tubes that would normally exit there. I'm not stressing it because my hope is that it sends more air to the windshield. And I'm more concerned with the defrost than heat as I live by the foggy ocean in Socal. Heat to the windshield in this configuration is plenty to warm the cabin. But will this cause any issue with engine heating? Or is it fine the way it is?

Last dumb question as it's been 30 years since I regularly drove a VW. And I rarely have to use the heat here. What do the left and right heater control knobs control? Ones heat and ones opening valves?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: