Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 beetle not super wire harness shopping
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: 74 beetle not super wire harness shopping Reply with quote

Currently working on a 74 beetle the harness is extremely dry and there was a fire in engine area

Looking for recommendations on who has the best replacement complete harness for this car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 74 beetle not super wire harness shopping Reply with quote

"Complete" is the key word there. For that, I'd recommend:

www.vwlooms.com

They're out of the UK, and on the pricier side, but I used them for my 74 Super (I know you're asking for a Std), and the wiring was an EXACT match in every way. It made installation so easy, and all the wiring and connections look to be of a very high quality and finish.

So, I'd reach out and ask them if they can do a 74 Std wiring harness for you.
skinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 74 beetle not super wire harness shopping Reply with quote

So I sent email to Vw looms but no response yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 74 beetle not super wire harness shopping Reply with quote

I would look into a rebel wire harness, it worked for my daughters 74 Super Beetle and I'M pretty sure it would work for your standard, plus their tech support is amazing, there is a thread on here that details how it is installed and the thread was started by the tech support of rebel harness.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711039
SirDorfsalot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 beetle not super wire harness shopping Reply with quote

I'm almost done replacing the harness on my car right now!

My local VW shop recommended I use Wolfsburg West 71-73 harness in my 74 standard. It doesn't come with the seat belt lock out wiring or VW test machine plug but I wanted to delete those anyway. It also comes wired for a generator so I had to rewire that for an alternator but it was easy. It has all the correct VW wiring colors, the crimps are nice, comes with all new connectors (I had to reuse a couple old ones for the alternator conversion), and the instruction book it comes with has great color wiring diagrams.

My 74 came with an externally regulated alternator. I saved the regulator wiring from the original harness, wrapped it in new split loom, and ran that as a sub harness back through the same hole to and from the regulator and alternator through the same opening at the new harness. This way I didn't have to relocate the regulator nor replace the alternator with an easier to wire internally regulated unit.

Getting the loom through the death foam was a chore but I chucked a piece of metal rod with a hook bent on the end onto my drill and that seemed to chew enough foam out to pass the new wiring through. Eventually I'm going to have to repair some death foam rot so I'll get the rest of the foam out then.

I also replaced the broken factory fuse/relay holder. I reused the metal tabs and screws from the VW unit as they were better but otherwise the new Wolfsburg part is nice.

The wiring through the front firewall into the trunk uses a different rubber grommet in 74 than what came with the kit but my original was in good shape so I just reused it but you may want a new one depending on what shape yours is in.

While I've got the car torn apart for the wiring I've let project creep kick in and have also rebuilt my pedal cluster with classicbugparts kit, new fresh air hoses, welding previous owner holes shut, metal dash conversion, wiper mechanism bushings, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: