Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Vw thing Wheel Studs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: 74 Vw thing Wheel Studs Reply with quote

What size are vw thing wheel studs supposed to be, For some reason mine are 12 mm 5 lug. Had steel 5 wide rims on it and I purchased empi wide five for it but the 14 mm studs I ordered are to big for the drum. What drums would have been used if these were changed out? Also, I need to change brake pads. Is the drum going to make a difference due to brake drum size for brake pads? Thanks in advance,
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drums should be drilled out with a 37/64in drill bit (9/16in works if you can't find the 37/64) and the studs pressed in. The 14mm studs are correct.

A little note on pressing in the studs... We just did this, the rear drums used were German-made 181 drums. This metal is HARD. It took 2 hours to drill all ten holes (fried the drill press motor Embarassed ), and 7 tons of pressure to push the studs in. On the flip side, the fronts were VW-made, but definitely not German. This metal cut very smoothly and the studs were tapped in with a hammer. I'd imagine your EMPI drums are similar. If so, definitely use the 9/16in (36/64) drill bit, and try to avoid filing or boring out the holes any.

And.. A useful link for studding the drums: http://www.humeston.org/vwthing3/?page_id=120.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wheel shop buddy used thread in studs for ours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by "studs" the OP means the wheel lugs. The 14mm lugs were for the later 4-lug cars. If you go by year, places like Mid America will sell you the wrong lugs for a Thing. Ask me how I found that one out. Wink

Hope this helps.
- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009

Last edited by Towel Rail on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
The drums should be drilled out with a 37/64in drill bit (9/16in works if you can't find the 37/64) and the studs pressed in. The 14mm studs are correct.

A little note on pressing in the studs... We just did this, the rear drums used were German-made 181 drums. This metal is HARD. It took 2 hours to drill all ten holes (fried the drill press motor Embarassed ), and 7 tons of pressure to push the studs in. On the flip side, the fronts were VW-made, but definitely not German. This metal cut very smoothly and the studs were tapped in with a hammer. I'd imagine your EMPI drums are similar. If so, definitely use the 9/16in (36/64) drill bit, and try to avoid filing or boring out the holes any.

And.. A useful link for studding the drums: http://www.humeston.org/vwthing3/?page_id=120.

I'll just add that whenever I stud drums/hubs and they don't feel particularly tight I weld them in using nickel rod.
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:

Thanks for this link!! That will be very useful to me. The Thing I just purchased has studded drums and I was wondering about them.

Scott
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
For brake shoes, get 1966-1967 Beetle fronts, 1961-1963 Bus rears. There are rear brake shoes with a 181 part number, but substitutions can be made. - Scott

Sorry Towel Rail, but... To prevent misinformation...

The '73 and '74 (and UP) Thing uses...

1965 and later Beetle front brake shoes 131-609-237 C

1968 and later Standard BEETLE rear shoes 113-609-537 C

And for what it's worth....

The same year ranges also applies to...
Wheel cylinders and Brake hardware (AKA "spring kits")
Front wheel bearing seals (and bearings) are 1969 and later Standard Beetle
Rear wheel bearing seals and bearings are 1968 and later Beetle
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
socalthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Studs, Reply with quote

The drums are 5 hole. 12 mm . 14 mm should be the correct ones right? The wheels are empi. Not the drums. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-E252B
j5josher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Studs, Reply with quote

socalthing wrote:
The drums are 5 hole. 12 mm . 14 mm should be the correct ones right? The wheels are empi. Not the drums. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C32-E252B

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=B99%2DC10%2D6683
just buy these...

they gave you the wrong bolts...

compare your og ones to the ones that they give you... they should match..

a 14mm bolt wont fit in a 12mm hole...
Brick wall
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Studs, Reply with quote

socalthing wrote:

Ohh.. I see what you are trying to do there, my bad. Thought you were pressing studs in for regular wheels. Sounds like the 12mm bolts j5 linked to are correct for this.
socalthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I need to order brake pads at the same time. Appreciate the help and the link.!!!
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a minor point of correct automotive terminology:

Drum brake have shoes that press against the drums acting on a force provided by the wheel cylinder.

While disc brake have pads that press against the rotors acting on a force provided by the caliper.

Lug bolts thread directly into drums or rotors holdin the wheels in place.
Wheel studs are permanently attached through the brake drums or rotors and then they pass through the wheels and the studs are tightened to the wheels using Lug nuts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
socalthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Tomatoe Tomato , I got it. thanks.
dsmetanick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Thread in 14 mm wheel studs Reply with quote

Please advise where can I get thread in 14 mm wheel studs that have the smallest portion of unthreaded middle section. All the studs that I see have a large unthreaded section between the threads that go into the break drum and the lug nut side. My lug nuts are normal cone (acorn) shaped and the common white steel 5 spoke sand rail wheel cannot be tightened fully with this large unthreaded section. When properly tightened the lug nut will nest in the wheel hole and come with in 1 thread width of touching the break drum. The unthreaded portion of the wheel stud is 3-4 thread widths. I tried allen wrenching the studs in the break drum deeper but the soft brazilian threads were destroyed. So I welded them in and two broke off with the air wrench. I'm never going to use the air wrench again. I'm starting over again with German drums if I can find them. So far I only found Italian in stock - are they made of harder steel like German? If I cannot find thread in type with little or no unthreaded middle section I think I will have to use 14 mm lug bolts. I prefer not to wear out the break drum threads, however, and I have no experience using washers to space out the unthreaded section. As info I cannot use press in studs since they will hit the oversized 22mm brake cylinder in my rear (swing) axle. 19 mm is the largest size brake cylinder that can work with press in studs and I enjoy the additional breaking power as is. Appreciate any advice.
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um....
First...
"Five Spoke Sand rail Rims" typically require "Ball" seat lugs or studs NOT "Cone" style.

Second...
Just use the factory lug bolts. You aren't going to wear out the drums.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsmetanick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding uberautowerks. I would appreciate anything else from you or others.

You described it best as "Ball" seat lugs. My rail has ball or acorn'ish (not cone).

Yesterday I was in BAP and found a stud that might work (empi p/n 9515). It has an unthreaded portion of only .135" (much better than the .25" from the average stud - this equates to 2-3 threads more on the same 1.5" stud). It will be close and the risk is limited to destroying 1 of the 6 threads in the drum (instead of 3-4) to allow the wheel to snug fully.

I have destroyed at least 15 lug bolt thread holes over the past 30 years of sand railling from either too tight or too loose (and the wheel coming loose tears up the threads). You cannot fully lay into a 50 year old drum and not strip the threads. Most recently I stripped those 5 holes with the studs that I allen wrenched in past the threaded portion in that soft Brazilian cast iron. This drum was brand new - from dansperformanceautoparts.

I read an article on the Thing page linked from this website stating that German steel is a must for rear axle because it it much harder (probably tempered steel drums). If the manufacturer does not take the extra step to re-heat up the finished product to cherry red then dunk it in water to lock in the maximum hardness, the threads will be too soft.

I exhausted my search and can only find Italy or China (Centric brand name distributed by BAP) made break drums. I have no idea and cannot find any experts on the comparative quality of the hardness (quality) of these threads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: