Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas shocks tend to stiffen up and climb to their highest position after the vehicle has been parked for awhile. Once you hop in and start driving, they settle in to place. They will not give you positive camber issues while driving. They do not affect the spring rate of the suspension, only compression and rebound damping, etc.

The rear of a stock height truck/bus will generally have a slight amount of positive camber even with the correct settings of the torsion bar/spring plate angle. It is normal, and generally doesn't cause excess tire wear, as that camber constantly changes while driving down the road. This is the same thing that happens in early (pre-69) beetles, or any vehicle with a swingaxle setup. It is inherent in the design.

The front wheel camber can be adjusted to stock spec by swapping shims on the link pins per the procedure in your Bentley manual. You could also have something worn or bent/broken in the front suspension. A careful disassembly and inspection of all of the front suspension components will reveal any issues.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Gas shocks tend to stiffen up and climb to their highest position after the vehicle has been parked for awhile. Once you hop in and start driving, they settle in to place. They will not give you positive camber issues while driving. They do not affect the spring rate of the suspension, only compression and rebound damping, etc.

The rear of a stock height truck/bus will generally have a slight amount of positive camber even with the correct settings of the torsion bar/spring plate angle. It is normal, and generally doesn't cause excess tire wear, as that camber constantly changes while driving down the road. This is the same thing that happens in early (pre-69) beetles, or any vehicle with a swingaxle setup. It is inherent in the design.

The front wheel camber can be adjusted to stock spec by swapping shims on the link pins per the procedure in your Bentley manual. You could also have something worn or bent/broken in the front suspension. A careful disassembly and inspection of all of the front suspension components will reveal any issues.

and on top of that you can set your rear ride-height to be level side to side.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
SambaUser1M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the replies. I'll work on it soon and post the results.
pete-stevers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to run the tallest widest tire on my 59sc that is practical for roads less traveled
just looking to hear thoughts from folks in the know....
My rim are 15 inch
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete-stevers wrote:
I am looking to run the tallest widest tire on my 59sc that is practical for roads less traveled
just looking to hear thoughts from folks in the know....
My rim are 15 inch

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265458&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

september of 1959 truck, 64-67 big nut trans. What can I do for the ebrake cables? I think I remember seeing what looks to be a lame u-bolt type clamp connecting what I would assume to be the correct front, and the correct rear. Is that the only option to get the ebrake to work? It's not ratcheting anyways Rolling Eyes so I need to take it all apart to fix that. Just seems like a lame fix for something that people do on a semi-regular basis (small but bus, big nut trans) but previous owners of this truck have done some other pretty lame fixes for normal stuff too

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the buggy style parking brake cable shortening kit. Worked great. There is a long thread discussing the options and processes involved. I'll see if I can find it.
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed my wide 5 rims and meaty tires!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have enough clearance everywhere!!

All I need now is my transmission back so we can get her driving!!!

Check out my Aircooled blog @ http://stevo.skyblogs.be
Wide 5 Vintage Volkswagen Club
http://www.wide5.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo Wide 5 wrote:
Installed my wide 5 rims and meaty tires!!!

Have enough clearance everywhere!!

All I need now is my transmission back so we can get her driving!!!

NICE!
What's it measure now, from the top of the rack to the ground with those meaty tires? and it still fits in the garage even better! But then again that doesn't look like your standard garage door opening.
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't measured total height but no way does it fit in a regular garage!

I think we have an 8.5ft clearance at the shop cause we just a stock bay highroof in there which just cleared the door!

Check out my Aircooled blog @ http://stevo.skyblogs.be
Wide 5 Vintage Volkswagen Club
http://www.wide5.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding an early emergency brake cable into a later model rear brake plate, if you can do a search, I have commented on this several times.
I make the newer style brake plate like the older style brake plate by grinding off the spot welds on the pedestal on the newer plate, removing the pedestal, then enlarging and shaping the hole to match the hole on the older plate. I use an adjustable wrench to bend the outer end of the hole towards the inside, grab the stop from the old plate, then line it up in the hole on the newer plate and mark the spot for the mounting hole. After drilling a hole, I use a stainless steel screw with a nylock nut to hold the stop on the plate (use the shortest screw possible, while still allowing the nylock nut to lock on the screw). This method has worked on my 1957 bus for thirty years and I have recently done it to my 1959 double door panel.
Send me an e-mail message if you want a picture.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
Regarding an early emergency brake cable into a later model rear brake plate, if you can do a search, I have commented on this several times.
I make the newer style brake plate like the older style brake plate by grinding off the spot welds on the pedestal on the newer plate, removing the pedestal, then enlarging and shaping the hole to match the hole on the older plate. I use an adjustable wrench to bend the outer end of the hole towards the inside, grab the stop from the old plate, then line it up in the hole on the newer plate and mark the spot for the mounting hole. After drilling a hole, I use a stainless steel screw with a nylock nut to hold the stop on the plate (use the shortest screw possible, while still allowing the nylock nut to lock on the screw). This method has worked on my 1957 bus for thirty years and I have recently done it to my 1959 double door panel.

You just reminded me about the pictures you sent. Damn. I will get them up, life has been too busy lately.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can a guy find a stock front spindle? I have a 65 DC that needs one and it's a bit tough...

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search campingbox's ads in the classifieds.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

Yeah, he just has rebuilt sets and doesn't sell left sides alone.

I may end up swapping the whole front beam for one from a 71 and running adapters.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Campy wrote:

You just reminded me about the pictures you sent. Damn. I will get them up, life has been too busy lately.

I got your slack, Corey Wink

Pix from Campy. Thank You!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
zozo wrote:

I may end up swapping the whole front beam for one from a 71 and running adapters.

I have about half a dozen extra right hand spindles if anyone is in need. One of them came from you John. I'm short on lefts. Do three rights make a left?
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want that to come off as unappreciative. Greg (campingbox) is super nice to deal with, and was still willing to help me out with a more than fair core refund on the right side even though he has a bunch of them, and I totally understand having a glut of one side. I just hate buying both when I only need the one side.

Gotta pay to play though right?

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Ohio_Style wrote:
zozo wrote:

I have about half a dozen extra right hand spindles if anyone is in need. One of them came from you John. I'm short on lefts. Do three rights make a left?

Yessir. I recall. That left one was pretty boogered up. You were great to work with on it, and your tech support is second to none. I'm still singing your praises and making referrals whenever I can.

It may be easier in the long run to find a complete beam with some rebuildable spindles and go from there.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:

I got your slack, Corey Wink

Thanks. We all need a little boost occasionally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: