Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the dropped spindles be put back to stock? If so, where can I find a "how to"? I have a 66. Thanks.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
Can the dropped spindles be put back to stock? If so, where can I find a "how to"? I have a 66. Thanks.

In most cases, yes. You will need access to a press, as well as various pieces to facilitate pressing them apart. When they are pressed back together you need a way to make sure the kingpins are aligned with each other. The standard rebuild is outlined in detail in the Bentley manual. If you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that section of the Bentley manual available somewhere online?
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
Is that section of the Bentley manual available somewhere online?

Just buy the paper manual, it's worth it.

Didn't mean to kill the thread. Embarassed

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 66 microbus and the previous owner had drop spindles. Actually the whole beam looks new but thankfully it's a standard beam and not shortened. The rear is running straight axles and I actually prefer it because I can cruise Southern California freeways with the speed of traffic (most of the time) I won't change that! The spindles I plan on ditching and look forward to not hitting my front bumper on the street when leaving my driveway. He also had some Wide 5 chrome bug wheels that are about to come off. I found some bus wheels that are going to look awesome once I get them back from the sandblaster. Beauty rings and a new set of tires will make her shine. Any suggestions on brand tires? I've heard of Coker tires and they are local.
Does anybody object to installing a Westy interior in a Standard bus? I have access to a complete Westfalia interior including table and cabinets. They have offered me the windows too but I kind of like my pop outs.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
I recently purchased a 66 microbus and the previous owner had drop spindles. Actually the whole beam looks new but thankfully it's a standard beam and not shortened. The rear is running straight axles and I actually prefer it because I can cruise Southern California freeways with the speed of traffic (most of the time) I won't change that! The spindles I plan on ditching and look forward to not hitting my front bumper on the street when leaving my driveway. He also had some Wide 5 chrome bug wheels that are about to come off. I found some bus wheels that are going to look awesome once I get them back from the sandblaster. Beauty rings and a new set of tires will make her shine. Any suggestions on brand tires? I've heard of Coker tires and they are local.
Does anybody object to installing a Westy interior in a Standard bus? I have access to a complete Westfalia interior including table and cabinets. They have offered me the windows too but I kind of like my pop outs.

If you put stock spindles back on the front, you will need to raise the rear to match. Those straight axles won't work for that, so you will either need to source a stock rear axle setup with RGB's, or do a custom IRS rear suspension to get the height you need back there.

Good move getting rid of the chrome beetle wheels. Tires are a subject of much discussion. Check the FAQ'S on here for a couple of threads with much advice on tires.

If you have access to the Westy interior, and that is what you want, by all means get it and install it. But save all of your original pieces to re-install at a later date if you choose.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my bus, it had no shocks, so I got the stock black Sachs shocks. The ride is fine, but the front of the bus sits just slightly higher than the rear. It is barely noticeable, but still... Tire pressure in the rear is lower than the front as recommended, but I'd like to have the bus sit even.

Any ideas?/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
When I got my bus, it had no shocks, so I got the stock black Sachs shocks. The ride is fine, but the front of the bus sits just slightly higher than the rear. It is barely noticeable, but still... Tire pressure in the rear is lower than the front as recommended, but I'd like to have the bus sit even.

Any ideas?/

As a general rule, shocks have nothing to do with ride height. It seems that sometimes a gas charged shock will tend to "climb up" if the bus has been sitting for awhile.

Sounds like you either need to raise your rear ride hide to match, or lower the front a little more.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your bus is really heavy in the rear, i would buy the yellow bilstein gas shocks, they are perfect for the rear.

If your bus is not heavy (as in empty, or not a camper) then you just need to raise it up with the torsion adjustment.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:

Rear has probably sagged and need to be reset.

Tire Pressure is higher in the rear...

I picked a random owner's manual to show an example, here's the 66 manual
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

28 up front, 33 in the rear. Add 2-3 psi for radials, as long as it doesn't exceed the max. sidewall rating of the tire.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
As a general rule, shocks have nothing to do with ride height. It seems that sometimes a gas charged shock will tend to "climb up" if the bus has been sitting for awhile.

Sounds like you either need to raise your rear ride hide to match, or lower the front a little more.

mandraks wrote:
if your bus is really heavy in the rear, i would buy the yellow bilstein gas shocks, they are perfect for the rear.

If your bus is not heavy (as in empty, or not a camper) then you just need to raise it up with the torsion adjustment.

EverettB wrote:

Rear has probably sagged and need to be reset.

Tire Pressure is higher in the rear...

My bus is more rear heavy with some camper stuff. And the difference is less than an inch, and not even noticeable to most. Had thought about a torsion adjustment, but wasn't sure if that would be a bit much for the difference I'm having. Which brings me to:

Now, Everett, thanks for showing me that, I feel like an idiot! I had checked on tire pressures when I got my tires, and must have reversed them in my head, or something, but I bet that's the issue. Damn... d'oh! Laughing I'll put the proper pressure in, I really can't believe that one... Embarassed
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the tire pressure listed is for bias type tires I belive. What would we run the pressure for radials? I have been running 32 front and rear for years(radials) anyone try a lower pressure on the front?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
So the tire pressure listed is for bias type tires I belive. What would we run the pressure for radials? I have been running 32 front and rear for years(radials) anyone try a lower pressure on the front?

EverettB wrote:

28 up front, 33 in the rear. Add 2-3 psi for radials, as long as it doesn't exceed the max. sidewall rating of the tire.

For the record, when I run stock size radials on a bus, I use a C, D, or LT rated tire. I tend to run closer to 40 pounds up front, and 45 in the rear.
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
...I would buy the yellow bilstein gas shocks, they are perfect for the rear.

I tried searching but came up with some oddball stuff. Got a part number by chance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul Built wrote:
mandraks wrote:
...I would buy the yellow bilstein gas shocks, they are perfect for the rear.

I tried searching but came up with some oddball stuff. Got a part number by chance?

google bilstein shocks volkswagen

BS-F4-B46-0032-H0
Bilstein Shock - Front VOLKSWAGEN TYPE 2 BUS & TRANSPORTER 55-78 , Heavy Duty Bilstein Part# BS-F4-B46-0032-H0
BS-F4-B46-0040-H1
Bilstein Shock - Rear VOLKSWAGEN TYPE 2 BUS & TRANSPORTER 55-67 , Heavy Duty Bilstein Part# BS-F4-B46-0040-H1

everybody has them, they also fit beetles, and Type 3

All you should need are the rear ones, front does not need a firm shock...

looking for a glowing review?

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=310

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the degree for the front trailing arms with regards to the floor when loaded?

Also, what's the ground clearance from the floor to the steering box?

On a side note, has anyone used these front torsion springs from WW?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211411033E
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stupid question and have searched the forums so please bear with me.

I am currently looking for a bus, I know the ballpark height of a stock bus is 6 ft 3 inches. What is the height with a full roof rack I understand there are different options but I want to get a ballpark idea to see if it would fit in my garage with the rack on.

Thank you
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends entirely on the height of your door opening, the type of door (sectional, roll-up or solid) and the type of rack. I have an 8' tall opening, so no worries. You most likely have a 7' opening. If the door hangs down at all past the top of the opening you won't fit. Even if you have a clear opening it will be tight and most likely not enough clearance. Measure what the clear distance is and post that.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
nyr208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just measured. One inch shy of 7 feet. Looks like a no go? Really don't want to have a lowered bus. Is it a hassle to take the rack on and off? Would only use it once in a while.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't fit unless you are lowered.

Racks are easy to take on/off, I do that with my Westy and it's rack which sits in the garage rafters when not on the bus. Just remember to take it off before pulling in to the garage! I actually have a stop sign I put in place any time I put the rack on to remind me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: