Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be leaning towards a 3:88 big nut. I have a complete drum to drum ready for a rebuild. motofly196 by referring to your transmission as "strait axle" is your Bus lowered? I'm building this one stock height and would like to run gear boxes with the best gear ratio combo. I do all the camp shows from Flagstaff, Jerome, BBB to Blackstar. I've always used type3 strait/long axle 3:88 fully loaded and loved it so want to try and get the same out of a stock reduction gear trans! Thanks for the replies!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a stock height bus with a 2028cc dual 40's matched up to a 3.44 with an .89 fourth big nut trans. tires are 205/70/15 ( I might go with 205/75/15 in the future) and I absolutely love this combo.

I have what I would call a "day camper" , rear seat that folds out to a bed, jumper seat behind spare tire divider both with storage underneath and a side cabinet and that's it. I've hauled up to 7 adults and one child in my bus and had no issues going up hill or on the highway (70 mph on highway).
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a 3.44 will perform best on bigger motors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be leaning towards a 3:88 big nut. I have a complete drum to drum ready for a rebuild. motofly196 by referring to your transmission as "strait axle" is your Bus lowered? I'm building this one stock height and would like to run gear boxes with the best gear ratio combo. I do all the camp shows from Flagstaff, Jerome, BBB to Blackstar. I've always used type3 strait/long axle 3:88 fully loaded and loved it so want to try and get the same out of a stock reduction gear trans! Thanks for the replies!

Guess I wrote my reply before I was fully awake!! I thought it was in the lowered forum! Sorry! On my 63' bus (stock height) I have 63' only boxes (same ratio as big nut) and a 4.12 gear and bus 4th. With the 1776 I cruised about 60-65mph. I could go faster, but the trans was holding me back. I think with reduction boxes you would pull the 3.88 R/P just fine. Sorry about the confusion! In the mountains though with my combo...the bus just keeps climbing without downshifting at all, fully loaded with junk. It's a pay off on the hills and mountains, but kind of sucks on the flats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
johny__utah wrote:
I've only owned lowered Buses.. (hold the tomatoes Embarassed )!! I'm about to start on a 63 walkthrough and need clarification regarding a transmission ?! I just aqquired a big nut transmission and wanted to upgrade my gearing to a freeway flyer. ? is whats the diffrence Rolling Eyes in a 3:88 and a 3:44 R&P? Or advise on gear combo. I'll be running stock front suspension, camper interior, 1776 tourqe master dual 34, 15 inch stock wheels. Thanks!

On my 60' single cab, Benco built my straight axle trans with a bus .82 4th gear and 4.12 R/P. I have a healthy 1776 with dual 34 FRD's. I love that combo, and can cruise easily at 65-70mph. I can almost guarantee that with the extra weight of your bus and camper interior, the gap between 3rd and 4th will be WAY too far with 3.88 gears if you plan to climb any hills or mountains, even worse if you are loaded down with camping gear and passengers. You could maybe get away with the 3.88 R/P if you ran a bug .89 4th. I don't think I would chance it in my own bus though.
I recommended it as I had nearly the same combo in my '55 camper and it worked well. No shortage of power and had no trouble burying the speedometer needle back to zero. Then again, I don't live in the mountains but I did just drive a 36hp bus through them for over a 1000 miles last week and can't help but think my old '55 would have had no trouble with that gear set.

Realistically either one would work fine, depends on how/where you are driving your bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
I actually like RGB whine. It's one of those perks that make driving a stock height split great.

You're sick Razz

its a cool sound at low speeds but , seriously I have permanent RGB-initus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L Breslin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: 67 Split Pick-up Suspension Reply with quote

I bought a 67 (mostly) singlecab pickup in Arizona and brought it home to Cal. When I went to replace the shocks, I put yellow bilstines on it and it went down on the stops. Either my leaf springs are shot, or somebody put a lowered front end in it (dumb idea for a truck as the main purpose of a truck is to carry a load). Any way, how do I tell what is the deal as I'd like to get it to stock height and get rid of those EMPI shocks with the helper springs that wear out after a year on my roads. Please, anyone with info on this problem please fill me in. Thanks LeeB
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did your old stocks look like? pictures?

edit

saw the thing about the helper springs, sounds like they were used to prop up the front....

you got work to do.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
CaptKombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I have a 66 Westphalia I'm getting in shape to sell.
What is the right size and ply of tire I need to put on it? Suggestions? Continental 8 ply? Help
L Breslin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

I have had my split window singlecab (67 mostly) for a couple of years now and the shocks were shot. Coil over empi front shocks were what was on it. I wanted to upgrade to yellow bilstines. After the shock swap I let it down and it went down on the bump stops. How do I tell what what somebody did to my truck to lower it. There are no welds on the tubes so they didn't turn the tubes like we did in the old days. Could somebody give me a clue. If you need to have a picture of it or part of it I can do.....Help. L Breslin
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

L Breslin wrote:
I have had my split window singlecab (67 mostly) for a couple of years now and the shocks were shot. Coil over empi front shocks were what was on it. I wanted to upgrade to yellow bilstines. After the shock swap I let it down and it went down on the bump stops. How do I tell what what somebody did to my truck to lower it. There are no welds on the tubes so they didn't turn the tubes like we did in the old days. Could somebody give me a clue. If you need to have a picture of it or part of it I can do.....Help. L Breslin

Take a few pics of the end of the torsion tubes. Those are the long black tubes that sit one on top of the other, with about 8" of space between them, and they run from one side of the bus's frame to the other. If the ends are covered with greasy gunk, clean them off as best you can.

What I am getting at is maybe a PO pulled a couple of leaves to lower the front. It is also quite possible that some leaves are broken. It happens.
L Breslin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

After buying my 67 singlecab just about everything had to be restored including the shocks, so I took off the spring-over empi shocks on the front and replaced them with yellow bilsteins. When I lowered it down, it went down on the stops LIKE IT WAS LOWERED! That was real depressing as I can't stand a lowered car. I can see no welds in the tubes that would mean it was turned and rewelded. How do I tell what the heck somebody did to this poor VW Single? Need direction. LeeB
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

L Breslin wrote:
After buying my 67 singlecab just about everything had to be restored including the shocks, so I took off the spring-over empi shocks on the front and replaced them with yellow bilsteins. When I lowered it down, it went down on the stops LIKE IT WAS LOWERED! That was real depressing as I can't stand a lowered car. I can see no welds in the tubes that would mean it was turned and rewelded. How do I tell what the heck somebody did to this poor VW Single? Need direction. LeeB

My guess is that some chump pulled a couple of leaves out of the front torsion housing, or you have some broken springs. I have personally had broken springs - no idea how they broke, but they were.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

This.

Again.......

cdennisg wrote:
What I am getting at is maybe a PO pulled a couple of leaves to lower the front. It is also quite possible that some leaves are broken. It happens.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L Breslin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

So yer sayin that if I can see only two leaf springs showin at the ends, there's a good possibility that someone took a couple of them out? Makes sense as the only suspension I have right now is the springs on my empi coil-over shocks. Was hoping that I wouldn't have to do a front end rebuild, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Lowering trucks of any kind defeats the purpose of it being a truck in the first place. LeeB
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Not a stock beam but this gives you an idea of how many leaves you would expect to see:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Two bundles per beam. Nine leaves per bundle.

Get two full bundles and install them after verifying that none of the leaves are broken or cracked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Key thing is,...a couple different guys are trying to help you out here. Help isn't usually free.
L Breslin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

OK So I figured out that someone took the small leaf-springs out of my front end on my 67 singlecab. Does anyone know where I can get 4 of the small leaf springs without floating a bank loan? Tried the junk yard up here in the hi-desert of cal but came up empty. Also, FYI, had a STP brand airfilter fail on me after only three months in service and it let enough dirt in to sand my engine. Total loss, case and all.
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

OK guys.. heres my know problem.. If you own a bus.. it seems like it changes ever time you improve on one thing.. something else pops up.. I installed a 3:44 R&P tranny in my RGB bus andit goes way to fast for Bias ply tires.. 70-75 MPH with firestone 670-15 bias ply tires is a scary ride.. Florida roads are crowned really bad for rain run off and the bus pulls from side to side every time there is an imperfection in the road.. and at 75MPH its a white knuckle ride!! i want to relax and cruise my bus with out worries of flipping over.. Haha.. Yes i know BP ties drive like that.. It's nothing new..

who has a great looking tire, close to stock that looks like Bias tires but is Radial? Pictures would be very helpful!! Very Happy
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: