Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top Repair and Fixing Holes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitcarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Pop Top Repair and Fixing Holes Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a 1970 pop top campmobile. The bay has been sitting for a while and the mice have eaten a couple of holes in the canvas (ok maybe more then a couple, but not more then 6 or 7....). I am not ready to replace the whole canvas yet. Is there any way to fix those holes for now? I have cleaned it up substantially since this photo and removed all the mice "stuff" and scrubbed the canvas.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm; I count 25 holes... you could sew on patches; or glue them on with marine silicone.
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There looks to be quite a few holes in that canvas. My canvas came with 4 or 5 good sized holes when I bought my bus and I sewed on patches made from heavy duty plaid fabric using UV resistant thread. It's actually a bit of a pain in the ass to sew it, unless you remove the canvas, you essentially need one person on the outside and one person on in the inside passing the needle back and forth. It's trickier than it sounds, but can be done (took us several hours just to sew a few patches, thought it would take 30 minutes.) The way you have lots of little holes all together, I'd recommend using a few large patches that will cover many holes at a time. Looks like you'd still need at least 6 or 7 patches though (plus maybe a few glue on ones for the little random holes.) Be sure to put the patches themselves on the inside (otherwise it will look stupid from the outside and be even less weatherproof.) If you are patching more than one hole with a particular patch you may want sew up the perimeter of the patch, and then sew between a few of the holes to keep things together a bit more. Good Luck!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may be better off just replacing the canvas.$300 seems like a chunk of $$ but the smell of mouse urine ,when the sun hits the canvas, could sour your camping experience

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
you may be better off just replacing the canvas.$300 seems like a chunk of $$ but the smell of mouse urine ,when the sun hits the canvas, could sour your camping experience

I would have suggested the same thing, but i recently bought a replacement top from BusDepot. The fit was HORRID. I bought the "cheap" $300 one, so perhaps had I dropped some extra cash it would have fit better, but I am seriously going to have to cut the brand new top and sew in fabric so the top can be stretched enough to fit. Perhaps I did something wrong, but the top isn't exactly rocket science and I don't think I did. I measured the circumference of the aluminum pinch rail on the bottom, and the circumference of the bottom of the top... they don't match.
I couldn't recommend the $300 top...
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
but the smell of mouse urine ,when the sun hits the canvas, could sour your camping experience

A very good point. I'd just use marine silicone - I use it to patch holes in my jeans - works awesome. That stuff still remains ultra-flexible for at least 20 years even in the sun.
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron on canvas
http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=inter...tnHand.y=2
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either do that iron on method above or rock it with the extra 'air holes' until you get around to replacing it. Why waste hours of time working on it when it needs to be replaced anyway? Spend those hours doing something else productive to your bus.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can patch fabric from one side, without a partner, using a curved needle and doing a "baseball stitch". I've fixed a couple rips in my headliner this way.

Curved needles are available anywhere regular sewing stuff is available.

Looks like you can do it with a straight needle to, I guess.

There are products at pet stores that supposedly catalyze urine. Look for "Nature's Miracle" - so far so good with dog and cat pee. Good luck with the mouse stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitcarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answers from everyone. I did get a gallon of that Natures Mircle stuff and it really does work well. I would recommend it. Expensive for a gallon, but works well.

The stitching thing will be a chore, whether sewing, gluing, ironing or whatever, it will be a long process. But like mentioned if the top isnt just right it increases the headache at installation. Not to mention the re-screwing and attaching to the bus again. That looks a bit complicated too. Sewing looks easier to me.......

Thanks.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I would repair it either. Leave it for later and replace the whole thing. Enjoy the extra breeze.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:
Either do that iron on method above or rock it with the extra 'air holes' until you get around to replacing it. Why waste hours of time working on it when it needs to be replaced anyway? Spend those hours doing something else productive to your bus.

x2

At least it doesn't look like this:

Even in that condition, it's low on the bus priority list.

'71 Westy "Maggie" - M-Plate

Parts for sale!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: