Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Builds / Combos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
landonvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Here is my 65 bug. Long story but i bought this little beauty and after about a week the motor blew up. I am new to the VW community but not to motors. So with advise from A local shop owner and lots of time in the garage and on the Samba. Im done so here she is.

ENGINE:
2110cc stroker,
As41 dual relief full flow case,
CB performance Forged/counter Balanced 82mm crank,
CB straight cut cam gears,
Recondition 311 rods ARP bolts,
AA forged 90.5mm cases and pistons,
Engle Fk8 cam with eagle cams,
Dual valve springs,
Epco heads port/polish 42x37.5 valves,
.040" coppeer shim makes for 9.5:1 C/R Dual HI Rev springs,
Forged 1.4 rockers with chromoly push rods,
1.5 sump,
009 dissy with comu-fire electronic ignition,
Dual webber 48 IDAs (Still playing with the jetting)
Lightened flywheel, kennedy stage 1, 4 Puck
Ceramic Bugpack 1 5/8" w/ Mondo fatboy

Runs awesome. I never new these little motors could be so fun and fast. No dyno papers yet but its snappy. Only about 300 or so miles on it. Nice long drive today(50miles) oil temps around 200 degrees. Filters are on for daily driving. Couldn't fit the king kongs so I had to modify.
Video:

Trans is a Built pro street freeway flyer, super diff and welded 3/4.
1st-3.80
2nd-2.08
3rd-1.43
4th-1.04
Pinon-4.37
Still more work to do but im loving it. Might be my first but wont be my last.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Last edited by landonvan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original post is locked or bugged. I have rebuilt my engine changing out some components.

Old set up:
2276 Scat Kit, balanced internals, Brazil AS 41 case , 9.6 CR
Scat 82 forged crank
Scat 5.4" H beams
Scat Lube a lobes ( yikes I know) . Next tear down cb 2pc lightwts
Engle FK8 cam, Scat straight cuts, advanced 1 degree @ the gear. Next tear down 86c.
Scat Pro comp true 1.4s
30mm Melling FF, stock oil cooler, FF set up and 72 pass elec fan cooler
Mahle 94s P/C
44x37.5 Scat wedge ports done up by DRD
Manton pushrods
All stock tins, aftermarket however
IDAs 3rd progression drilled, 63/168ish/200 F7 40vents ( hand drilled by me)
Bugpack 1 5/8" w/ Mondo fatboy
13lb Scat flywheel, kennedy stage 1, Kush lock
3.88 R/P w/ all the superstreet usual goodies, stock thru 3rd w/ .082 4th
010 dist
Facet Red label
Castrol 10w-30 w/ zddpplus
Empi 3.5qt sump

New set up :
2276 Scat Kit, balanced internals, Brazil AS 41 case , 10.93 CR
Scat 82 forged crank
Scat 5.4" H beams ARP2000
Cb 2 piece lightwieghts 30mm
Web 86C cam, Scat straight cuts, advanced 1 degree @ the gear.
Scat Pro comp true 1.4s
30mm Melling FF, stock oil cooler, FF set up and 72 pass elec fan cooler
Mahle 94s P/C
44x37.5 Scat wedge ports done up by DRD
CB CTF chromoly pushrods
All stock tins, aftermarket however
IDAs 3rd progression drilled, 70/170ish/200 F7 40vents
Bugpack 1 5/8" w/ Mondo fatboy
13lb Scat flywheel, kennedy stage 1, Kush lock
3.88 R/P w/ all the superstreet usual goodies, stock thru 3rd w/ .082 4th
010 dist
Facet Red label
Castrol 10w-30 w/ zddpplus
Empi 3.5qt sump

Some things I noticed off the bat, was cooler running engine , gained almost 2mpg more off tank. And my 2.0 needle is too small, 1-2nd gear high rpm pulls no fuel starvation. At 3rd gear because of it being much longer, I empty the fuel bowls post 6500 rpms and get that high rpm flutter from the carbs. I have already installed larger fuel line lead from the pump to the Tee. The rest of my lines are all SS AN6 size.I ordered my 3.0s today.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
I have rebuilt my engine changing out some components.

what were the dyno or track numbers on the old vs. new?
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
jfats808 wrote:
I have rebuilt my engine changing out some components.

what were the dyno or track numbers on the old vs. new?

Im swamped with side jobs atm and got couple friends stuff to help out with. I think theres a couple places here on island that got a wheel dyno. Its expensive here and starting around 90$ a pull. Im still weeding out the fuel starvation issue and would like to get it to the point that I can take it straight up to 8k without fluttering. Additionally id like to get it to two pulls to keep $$ in my pocket. I dunno maybe a pull, rejet -second redefined pull.
We have a track here but its been closed for a few years. They made a makeshift track in an industrial portion of one of the small cities here but I consider it too dangerous.
I can say with great pride that this is my best build to date. Pretty efficient, cool running, decent mpg, more midrange pull. Thats the biggest comparatives. I must admit that part of my reason for the rebuild besides the scat pitted lifters, was I wanted to prove that 11-1 can be had on the street, on 92 octane, run cool, have driveability on IDA's, and be somewhat of a daily driver in my case. The extra power, mileage and midrange gain was a nice bi-product.
Im afraid the closest I can do for a track pull is on another Island. Im too busy atm that I dont think thats going to happen soon.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BobB10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2017 stroker built by Art Thraen and the guys at A.C.E. (now Blackline) This is for my '71 Westfalia with original gas heater...

75HP peek @4500 then it plateaus... 120.75 LbTQ @2800RPM .... and don't forget this is with a single solex... I'm very impressed, and happy. Thanks guys!

More engine build details & photos found here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=80
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering why the heaterboxes if you have a gas heater?
BobB10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Just wondering why the heaterboxes if you have a gas heater?

Well that's how they came (with both), plus it's nice to have a little heat while driving, then use the gas heater when parked up (camping) in early spring / late fall. Plus I live in Canada... Very Happy (and no, I don't use the bus in the winter haha)
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:
A few years ago I built a 1679cc (with machine in 88mm cylinders) T1 engine for a friend of mine.. He put 60K miles on it, but decided to graduate up to a TIV engine for his 181 (and never look back!). He ended up donating me the tired RAT 1679 for R&D purposes a year or so ago.

I recently bought a 73 Super with no engine and had planned on throwing a TIV into it, but just haven't had the time to prepare one.. Well my Nephew has been in training with us for a year now, so I decided to have him tear down the 1679, reconfigure it and patch it up for some service in the Super. That worked well since I could stand another daily driver with heat while I finish my 912E revitalization, so I don't have to drive a damn 996 everyday!

So the 60K mile engine was torn down, the only thing that was worn were the camshaft thrust bearings. We honed the cylinders, replaced the bearings, replaced the rings and did a good valve job with new valves. The only changes I made to it was adding an Engle FK-41 Camshaft coupled to a 1.4 ratio rocker, a .035 deck and ended up at 9.6:1 CR.

My Nephew then balanced the assembly and assembled it. We topped it off with a Mallory Uni-Lite Dizzy and an ACE prepped single 40 Dellorto DRLA carburetor. I ran the single to keep the engine super simple and easy to work on. The Ace prepped carb ran perfect out of the box and needed zero tuning to dial in perfectly at both part and wide open throttle.. I only needed to touch the mixture controls.

All in all the cost to reconfigure the engine cost 237.00 to include the new cam and Engle lifters, bearings and rings. I spent more on the carb rebuild than the entire rest of the engine as it was 95% used parts, a true sweep the floor powerplant.

So today my Nephew installed the engine.. We then dumped a healthy dose of RAT Snake Oil Break In oil in the crankcase, fired it up and broke the cam in.. I then took it for a blast up the road and I was amazed! I returned from the blast up the road and rolled it straight onto our chassis dyno where it made the following power.

Now, its been a long time since an engine only made 70RWHP on my chassis dyno and we have never assembled an engine that made less than 100 RWHP on this dynojet. Its kinda of hard to get super excited about such little power, but this engine is REALLY IMPRESSIVE. To create 70 RWHP means this engine is producing 20% more power at the flywheel,(roughly 85HP) now I wish we would have taken the time to bolt it on the engine dyno too!

The torque curve is impressive and extremely flat with a huge concentration of torque below 3,000 RPM, perfect for the tall gearing the Super has as it was previously equipped with a 2270 TIV that loves tall gearing. 75MPH is achieved at only 3,400 RPM between the tall tires and tall gears, but this engine pulls the gear very well, unbelievably well.

I never expected this engine to produce this much power, or to have this level of throttle response with a stock weight flywheel and a single 40mm Dellorto with no port work and simply prepared 041 valved heads.

Even the exhaust system is used and its only a 1-3/8" Chinese system with a single quiet pack... It fits this combo perfectly and appears to have more potential in the top end as the engine is still leaning out up top, not richening up, which generally indicates inefficiency.

I highly recommend this combo for anyone wanting to build a small displacement, great driving, cheap torquer combo. The FK 41 camshaft is really impressive, we'll be watching oil samples from this engine to monitor the life of the new Engle lifters and to continue our oil development... The FK 41 was the cam that was closest to what my camshaft iterator chose for peak torque at such a low RPM when i set up the iteration parameters within the software. It is performing exactly as I expected, and that torque curve reminds me of a TIV!

Its been twenty years since I've driven a ACVW with less than 140HP, but this engine is so snappy and fun to drive, I don't miss the added power as much as I believed I would.. Its not "MassIVe and its not bad ass, but it is simple, does have great heat and didn't cost me anything to create while giving my Nephew more experience. I'll be doing my best to break it for the remainder of the winter!

I expect insane MPG due to the efficiency of this combo and the gearing.. We'll have to see!

Here is the recipe:
69X88
DPR 69mm CT/WT crank
Stock 311B rods
FK 41 cam, 112* LC
.035 deck, 9.6:1 CR static
Single Dellorto 40 with 34 vents
Genuine 041 heads, no port work, competition valve job, port fluffing only
1.4 ratio rocker
Manton pushrods

Quick update on this engine. I bought it from Jake and it's now in my '64 Bug and running dual 36 DRLA's. The trans is stock '64- 4.37 r&p with 205/70 tires. I haven't checked the mileage yet, been too busy beating on it so far. Laughing It doesn't lauch as well since I lowered the car, but I expect it to run low 10's at upper 60's mph in the eighth mile.

I haven't had it dyno'd to see what it makes with the duals, but here's a vid of it going through the gears.

Link

Another update, I took it to the strip and it ran a 9.97 at 67.7 mph with a 2.100 60 foot on 165's and 5 degrees of camber (its lowered). Only run I was able to make but it felt like a solid pass. I ran against my buddies stock '96 Camaro Z28, he ran a 9.3x and a 9.4X for comparison. It averages 29 mpg mixed city/hwy beating on it hard daily, still haven't driven it normal for a whole tank to check the "grandma driving" mileage. Mid 30's would be easy to pull out of it. I had the engine apart to fix a broken cam bearing flange and found that the heads are stock dual port with zero porting, making the little engine even more impressive!

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2110 build - the 2110 is probably the most often built 82mm stroker there is. For good reason - it tends to hold up very well over extended periods. This is my second 2110 build - wish I'd kept the first one!

Bottom End:
-----------

Case VW AD case AS-41, machine work by RIMCO
welded #3 web with deep stud (stock) - OS main saddles first cut - standard thrust - case was nearly 'virginal'

CB 82mm 4340 crank P/N 1154 & 5.5" 'H' rods P/N 1290
KS steel backed main bearings
Clevite rod bearings
Mahle 90.5 stroker forged piston/cylinder set standard ring kit

Sand seal machined - EMPI 7" black degreed pulley - we'll see how this works out - so far so good - a check for TDC showed it to be less than 1/2* off

factor 8mm stud inserts - CB chromoly studs nuts & washers

------------------------------------------------

Valve Train

CB 2242 cam with 298 deg duration - 248 deg advertised with .389" lift at the cam - .486" with 1.25 rockers
CB aluminum cam gear - Engle lifters - Manton chromoly pushrods - CB 1.25:1 rocker kit solid shaft
Cam has a relatively gentle (slow) ramp and should be kind to the lifter bores of which all were near perfect - lifters fit tight with no observable side or up-down motion

-------------------------------------------------

Oil system

CB full flow 26mm oil pump (Shadeck) - standard remote mount oil filter kit
OG type 1 doghouse cooler - new stock oil control plungers/springs
CB 1.5 quart sump with drain from L/H valve cover to sump - visit Muffler Mike's website to see why I've done this

http://mufflermike.com/news2007.html

page down to the 1-18-2007 entry - this will explain why you should do this if you experience low oil pressure when you get on your engine for even brief sprints. No oil? - soon no engine!

Blowby control will be handled by a CB oil tower with a pair of vents from right hand valve covers channeled to it

Oil is Valvoline Racing oil - 10w-30 - also added for cam break-in was cam break-in lube from CB - so far in about 400 miles there have been no funny noises coming from the valve train - just that click click from the Manton pushrods - runs very nice!

--------------------------------------------------

Cooling system

Stock doghouse shroud with NOS 35mm fan - used OG thermostat flaps with OG thermostat - type 3 cool tin in black (working very well too) - Since there are no heater boxes the stock heater vents coming off the shroud have been cut off and a flat plate welded into place

--------------------------------------------------

Exhaust

Bugpack 1 5/8" merged header with Mondo muffler - not as loud as I was expecting and it sounds great

---------------------------------------------------

Induction

Dual EMPI HPMX 44mm (Weber 44 IDF clones) set up and test ran by ACE and Art Thraen in Salt Lake Ut - CB Performance linkage - ACE throttle springs - all sitting on CB style offset manifolds

All fed into CB Los Panchito heads with 40x35mm valves and dual springs - mild polish job by your's truly - intake manifolds have been hand matched to heads - gaskets reworked to clear interference

Ignition

is an aircooled.net SVDA 034 with points - fed vacuum by both carbs with a 'tee' - very drivable even in low rpm situations - no bog!

Other info:

All rotating and reciprocating parts have been balanced to within a gnats ass (or two).
Deck height adjusted to .042" with 59cc heads for final compression ratio of right at 9:1. Originally I was going for 9.5:1 but I thought better of taking deck height down to .025"

Dual HPMX carbs work awesome - and feed vacuum signal to an aircooled.com SVDA distributor with Pertronix point replacement system - coil is a standard 35k volt unit

Flywheel is a 12 pound forged unit from CIP1 - and clutch kit is the standard Kennedy 1700 pound stage 1 with solid disc.

Target was for a daily driver 71 Karmann Ghia on 89-91 pump gasoline - no ethanol - I have several stations in my area that are ethanol free --- RPMs should top out at 6500 but I haven't had it there yet - my goal was for around 130hp - my 'seat dyno' tells me I'm right there - Engine feels strong and pulls very well even in the lower rpms - I've had it to ~4800 so far

Here's a picture of the finished 'product'. And yes - you see an A/C pump sitting on the L/H side - a Gilmore unit - Works pretty damned good! It gets to 90+ on a daily basis in summer here - If I was planning on driving this car much it needed A/C - with no heaters that mandates parking the car for about 3 months of the year when its just too damned cold - seldom gets above freezing for a few months during winter

And a utube video ==== a couple days after the 20 minute cam break in. The guy in the video is my nephew who "just had to put it on utube". He did the body and paint - very nice job too! I did all the motor work.

Link

So far with temps in the 95* range the motor runs very cool - head temps haven't gotten past 310* - oil temps of 190-210 show the 10-30 oil to be a decent choice

I couldn't be happier with this motor - unless it could sh*t dollars!

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldbugr wrote:
Haven't raced (unless you have been next too me at a stoplight), nor dynoed,

2110 balanced AS 41 case
CB 82 forged crank
CB race rods 5.4"
Udo becker lifters
Engle 120 cam, stock style gear
CB 1.25:1 stock style rocker with real 911 adjusters
Case done by rimco, shuffle pinned the two mains, silicon bronze lifter bores, stroker clearanced
26mm oil pump
Mahle 90.5 P/C
40X35.5 with mild ports 9.1:1 CR, (soon to be steve tims heads)
Manton pushrods
All stock tins, louvers, t-stat, hoover, ect.
Dual 40mm dellortos
A1 exhaust 1 1/2" with heater boxes
12lb flywheel, kennedy stage 1
stock rebuilt trans for now-(KCR soon)
010 dist
CB elec fuel pump
Brad penn 10/30wt oil
Scat 1 1/2 qt sump

Oldbugr: What kind of Performance results are you finding with your 2110 Build above, like to hear of the "Practical" RPM Range of the Engle 120 w/1.25 Ratio Rockers and if you have Dyno Info, be cool or any reference to it.

Looking at maybe the exact same build for a Super Mountain motor on the East Coast......

Bummer, just noticed when OldBugr Posted the Above info, well, that is why I think the engine is "Proven",lol.... RB
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Average 1914 build Reply with quote

Hello.
Here is a dyno sheet from a recent 1914 that I rebuilt for a customer:

New Mag case
Counterweighted 69 mm crank (Old bugpack)
CB Unitech rods, balanced +/- 0,5 gram. "356" oil groves
Engle W110 cam (delivered by customer)
CB lightweight lifters.
Manton pushrods.
94 mm Mahle pistons in AA cylinders. Pistons balanced +/- 0,5 gr. 1,1 mm deck height.
044 heads ported to something close to a CNC round port size. (156 cfm @ 0,600 at 25", with Misab manifolds. 9-1 CR.
Stock rockers.
26 mm shadek oil pump, blueprinted. Full flow. Stock late model oil cooler + another type 1 cooler (thermostatic controlled) located just behind the torsion bar housing, with an air lead plate.
Lumenition electronic ignition in a rebuilt SVDA distr. set at 8/30/38 degrees.
Dual 40 Dells w. 32 mm venturies. (Had 34 in it, but it did´nt do squat, so returned to 32) (Also tried with 2" stacks and was able to pull 180 Nm torque with them, but there was not enough room for taller filters, so I used regular 1 5/8" stacks)
1½" TurboThomas sidewinder header, 2 2" Simons mufflers in line, one on each side of the engine. Nice and subtle sound.
Measured on a Dynomet Chassis Dyno. Numbers are at the flywheel.

Last edited by Alstrup on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2180 cc type 3 engine

New Mag case.
CB 82 mm crankshaft.
5,4” Race rods H beam. 356 style oil squirters.
92 mm thick wall AA cylinderset. 1,2 mm deck.
Web 109/110 camshaft. CB lightweight lifters
Manton pushrods.
26 mm Shadek O ringed oil pump, blueprinted. Full flow.
043 heads, 42 x 37,5 mm valves, D port. 182CFM @ 0,600” and 25”. 9,5 – 1 CR.
Stock rockers on bolted shafts, Porsche style adjusters.
German 009 distributor w. Ignitor module. Pertronix 3 ohm coil.
42 mm DCNF carburettors on Berg type 3 manifolds. K&N airfilters.
CSP Python exhaust system. 1 5/8”
Power is a little stiffled due to only 10" of intake length. But still pulls quite nice.
146 hp @ 5200 rpm.
225 Nm @ 3750 rpm peak.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2200 type 4 performer for split busses and daily commuters.

78 mm AA crankshaft.
210 mm Sachs sport pressure plate, stock 210 mm disc.
WBX rods (5,394") modified with 356 oil squirters. Lightened 60 gr.
RAT 9530 camshaft. Rat lifters. ACN aluminum push rods.
26 mm Shadek oil pump.
95 mm Kolbenschmidt or Mahle pistons and cylinders.
412S heads. 42 x 34 mm valves, detailed. 9-1 CR.
8 mm. rocker arms, Elephant feet adjusters.
Bosch 009 distributor w. Ignitor module and 3 ohm coil.
45 mm Dellorto carburettors w. 36 mm venturies.
DTM cooling. Thermostatic controlled oil cooling. (Stock type 4 cooler in the DTM position.)
1½" bugpack header and 2 in line 2" Simons mufflers, one on each side of the engine.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something a little different.
VW 1600 single port stage 2.
Completely stock appearance.

69 x 85,5 mm. Fully balanced.
Stock 200 mm flywheel.
Stock clutch.
Rebuilt stock rods balanced +/- 0,5 gr.
CB 2280 camshaft, stock german lifters, stock pushrods cut to length.
26 mm shadek oil pump.
Sgl port cylinderheads, 35,5 x 32 mm. Ported to 30 mm inlet, guides shortened 6 mm. cut back on intake valves, 8,5-1 CR.
Rebuilt Bosch 205 SVDA distributor w. Ignitor module. Blue Bosch coil
34 mm PDSIT carburettor on CB center section. Empi sgl port end pieces.
Stock heater boxes, stock Ernst muffler. Stock ´68 Ghia 1500 air filter.

FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Something a little different.
VW 1600 single port stage 2.
Completely stock appearance.

69 x 85,5 mm. Fully balanced.
Stock 200 mm flywheel.
Stock clutch.
Rebuilt stock rods balanced +/- 0,5 gr.
CB 2280 camshaft, stock german lifters, stock pushrods cut to length.
26 mm shadek oil pump.
Sgl port cylinderheads, 35,5 x 32 mm. Ported to 30 mm inlet, guides shortened 6 mm. cut back on intake valves, 8,5-1 CR.
Rebuilt Bosch 205 SVDA distributor w. Ignitor module. Blue Bosch coil
34 mm PDSIT carburettor on CB center section. Empi sgl port end pieces.
Stock heater boxes, stock Ernst muffler. Stock ´68 Ghia 1500 air filter.

Nice numbers for a 1600SP with minimal mods... What would you recommend to get another 10-15hp out of the 1600SP?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1914 std plus 95 hp.

Engine case linebored.
Stock german crankshaft 69 mm.
200 mm flywheel lightened 1 kg.
Stage 1 pressure plate, stock disc. All balanced together.
26 mm Shadek oil pump, Full flow. Stock late model oil cooling plus another thermostatic controlled stock oil cooler mounted behind the left torsion housing.
Unitech rods, balanced +/- 0,5 gr.
Raptor 07 camshaft. (240 deg. @ 0,050"/433" on intake. 0,393" on exhaust.
94 mm SS pistons
040 cylinderheads ported & polished, stock valves (35,5 x 32 mm) cut back on intake. 10,5 - 1 CR.
ACN Aluminum push rods.
009 distributor w. Ignitor module. Custom advance curve.
CB center section intake manifold modified for 38 mm throttle.
38 mm Solex PDSIT w. 30 mm venturi.
Stock late model air filter (the plastic one) with K&N air filter. Cone shortened 1½"
Custom made end pieces with 32 mm I.D. and 1" longer than stock for better idle quality.
1½" heater boxes. CSP Street sport exhaust system.

95 hp @ 4300 rpm.
158 Nm torque @ 4000 rpm.

Runs very cool and is rather efficient. with a 3,88 R/P and 0,89 4rth. It easily makes 34 mpg on a 75 mph cruise.

Dynoéd on a Bosch Optima 2000 dyno.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 garagebilt motor (and car) 74SB

Aug. 2010
AS -41 Universal case .20/std/std ; tapped for full flow
78 crank/porsche rod journals
8 dowel lightened flywheel
kennedy stage 1 PP
- rotating assembly balanced.
Porsche rods: 5.325 - end balanced 519g +/- .5g
AA 90.5 p&c
.0425 deck heigh w/cr 9.1:1
.009 distributor w/hotspark module
30mm shadek ful flow
BugPack oil breather
040 heads w/ 40/32 valves 55cc
dual springs
C-35 cam
Scat 1.25 rockers with chromoly pr
1.5 merged header - LowBugget
-- stinger, single quiet pack (non-merged)
Kadrons 40mm intakes (jetting?? LB)
trans: 72 stock gearing
No Dyno sheet, but have timeslips:
RT: .062
60' - 2.142
300' - 6.58
1/8mile - 10.298
mph - 66.27
1000' - 13.516
1/4 16.285
mph - 80.78
HP calculator:
ET - 98
Trap Speed - 86

June 2013

AS -41 Universal case .20/.10/std ; tapped for full flow
78 crank/porsche rod journals
8 dowel lightened flywheel
kennedy stage 1 PP
- rotating assembly balanced.
Porsche rods: 5.325 - end balanced 519g +/- .5g
AA 90.5 p&c
.0425 deck heigh w/cr 9.2:1
.050 distributor w/hotspark module
30mm shadek ful flow
BugPack oil breather
DRD L-5 54mm
dual springs
DRD X298 .427 lift: 262 duration
Scat 1.25 rockers with chromoly pr
1.5 merged header - LowBugget
-- stinger,merged euro-tuck
HPMX 44 60/150/200
trans: 72 stock gearing
No Dyno sheet, but have timeslips:
RT: 0.292
60': 2.038
330': 6.137
1/8mile: 9.577
mph: 71.46
1000': 12.542
1/4 mile: 15.05
mph: 89.88
HP caluclator
ET - 119
trap speed - 122

last run of the season - 1/8 mile was a full second slower, though the speed was .1 faster - ET was 16.037 with MPH: 90.07.

well, that's all folks. (for now)
Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuntmanus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Tims Stage2 42x37
FK8 with scat 1.4 rockers
Dellorto 40 with 36 mm venturies
CSP supercomp exhaust
3.88 R/P 0.89 4th gear
Full bodied 1303 sedan (970 kg measured)

Best et 14.9@144 km/h

1974 VW 1303 RS 2110
1972 VW 1302

"Look man, I am not Mr. Lebowski, I am the Dude...!"
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600 type 1.
Built mainly out of stock parts.

AB case line bored to 0,50mm. Surface cut 0,35 mm.
10 mm head studs
69 mm std crankshaft, 0,25 mm
200 mm flywheel, ligthened 1,6 kg.
38 mm HD flywheel bolt.
200 mm. std pressure plate. All dynamically balanced.
200 mm. Super disc.
Unitech rods, balanced +/- 0,5 gr.
26 mm Shadek oil pump, full flow.
Scat pump cover.
Cam: Web 163 special grind. 108 lc. Advanced 2 gr. ,472”/,425” valve lift.
CB 30 mm light weight lifters.
Std 85,5 mm Mahle cylinderset. Pistons balanced +/- 0,5 gr. 1,2 mm. Deck height.
Manton Cromemoly pushrods.
Old VW 043 cylinderheads, 35,5/32 mm. Valves, 9 mm. Shaft on exh. Ported to my stage II specs. Scat sgl HD valve springs shimmed 1,5 mm. 9.5-1 CR.
HD Rockershafts. 1,1 – 1 ratio.
Accuvance 009 copy w. Electronic module. Advance curve altered. 3 Ohm Pertronix coil.
Dual 40 mm Dellorto, 32 mm venturies, on Riechert manifolds.
Al´s header, 1 3/8” merged with Turbo Thomas 2” stainless Phat boy.

Ohh, well, maybe there arent that many stock parts in it after all Very Happy
On the street it is limited to 5900 rpms for protecting the rings from breaking and overreving the stock crank.

Last edited by Alstrup on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:19 am; edited 4 times in total
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
1600 type 1.
Built mainly out of stock parts.

Do you have anymore specs?

110 hp with mostly stock parts?

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: