Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine without removing the rod completely, for the same reason that I didn't want to remove the bumper. It can be done.

Now that you mention it though I don't recall exactly what I did about the clip. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'd imagine I probably opened it like you would a key ring, so as not to distort the roundness, and then closed it back with pliers. It's also possible I re-used the old clip, because my old bushing wasn't actually old. The PO simply didn't insert it into the hangar in the tunnel. I know I changed the bushing anyway, but I can't remember about the clip.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I did mine without removing the rod completely, for the same reason that I didn't want to remove the bumper. It can be done.

Now that you mention it though I don't recall exactly what I did about the clip. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'd imagine I probably opened it like you would a key ring, so as not to distort the roundness, and then closed it back with pliers. It's also possible I re-used the old clip, because my old bushing wasn't actually old. The PO simply didn't insert it into the hangar in the tunnel. I know I changed the bushing anyway, but I can't remember about the clip.

That's very good to hear. Thanks for the quick reply!
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassneck wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

That's very good to hear. Thanks for the quick reply!

Just a note; you can open the clip so the ends line up and it will hold itself open fine without bending or distortion. No reason to bend it... Wink
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:

Just a note; you can open the clip so the ends line up and it will hold itself open fine without bending or distortion. No reason to bend it... Wink

Ok, that makes sense...but it still requires putting the clip on the end of the rod and sliding it all the way down, correct? otherwise, as suggested, could it be separated like a key ring and slipped on at the shifter end? Just curious on this....I'll figure it out soon enough but it would be great to get some insight.

Thanks
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine last summer and used Pauls (this) thread as a reference and it went smoother than a babys butt Very Happy (been having to change my grandsons diaper some lately, hense this analogy Very Happy )

I decided to pull the rod all the way out so I could give it a good inspection & cleaning and on my 72 the large front bumper had to be removed inorder for the rod to clear it.
Not knowing the full history of the car I like to give everything a good going over when I service it.
Removal of the front bumper entailed removal of 4 easy to get at bolts that bolt the bumper to the brackets. Probably only added 1/2 hr to the overall project.

If my memory serves me right, the rod doesn't have to come fully out inorder to replace the bushing and clip. I believe there is enough room to where the tranny end of the rod is exposed in the shifter well with the rod pulled out of the front access hole, through the horn hole and up to the bumper.

I greased the rod alittle where the bushing goes and I also filled the "cup" on the rod where the shifter ball goes w/grease. Replacement of the bushing and rear coupler made a 100% improvement in my 72's shifting, it was well worth this service.
Good luck
Dave
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:
I decided to pull the rod all the way out so I could give it a good inspection & cleaning and on my 72 the large front bumper had to be removed inorder for the rod to clear it.
Not knowing the full history of the car I like to give everything a good going over when I service it.

That was the reason I pulled mine all the way out as well. It had been serviced before and I wanted to check everything out... especially since they used pliers instead of wrenches! I get the baby reference... our daughter moved back in and we keep the baby, and her favorite thing is to 'let it all out' when we watch a movie together. I guess that means she's comfortable, but I wind up with a wet leg!
Jsg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was hugely helpful! replaced my bushing 2 weeks ago. Would never have considered this project until I read/ saw this great step by step thread. Realized it was totally doable and had no issues. I would add that if you can't get the shift rod all the way out due to the bumper alignment you are still fine. It came out far enough to get the old bushing off. I then greased it as I slid it back in. The parts of the rod I couldn't get to from the front I greased as the rod slid through the tunnel between the 2 front seats. Whole thing only took a couple of hours on my 74 vert.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsg wrote:
This thread was hugely helpful! replaced my bushing 2 weeks ago. Would never have considered this project until I read/ saw this great step by step thread. Realized it was totally doable and had no issues. I would add that if you can't get the shift rod all the way out due to the bumper alignment you are still fine. It came out far enough to get the old bushing off. I then greased it as I slid it back in. The parts of the rod I couldn't get to from the front I greased as the rod slid through the tunnel between the 2 front seats. Whole thing only took a couple of hours on my 74 vert.

Thanks, that's what I am hoping for...and that's also why I am so grateful for this forum and the people that contribute to it. This kind of knowledge is priceless!!!
hanke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: shiter rod bushing replacment Reply with quote

simply genius that idea with the clip thanks for the help i will spread my clip tomorrow jim
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, replaced the bushing yesterday...went pretty smooth. Thanks for everyone's help. I didn't need to pull the rod completely out as was stated...but enough to clear the bracket...then I simply put the bushing with the clip into the bracket...and pushed the rod through it...super easy. then All I had to do was pull the rod back through.

It works great...awesome shifting now that there's no slop. Smile
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Spring on the shift tube Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am converting a 69 Ghia coupe from an auto to a 4 speed. I went out to a parts car and got a correct length shift tube and noticed that the tube had a spring that went over the tube (not the shifter spring and not the locking ring on the bushing). The spring was approx. 6 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter (guessing from the view I got through the shifter hole). When I removed the tube from the car the spring had fallen out into the tunnel and considering the weather - I thought I could always get one from another VW. Well I have already discovered that a bug does not use this spring (Ghia only?) and I am having difficulty in locating another spring. Any advice or has anyone discovered this spring already (and maybe send me one???
Thanks,
Dave?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, there wasn't any spring on my 72's shift rod and it shifts great.
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I'm in Columbus and have a complete shifter (i think!) and spring for the car if you need it. PM me.

Correction sorry - my car had no such spring - I do have a stock shifter and that spring, however
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spring on the shift tube Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Hi All,
I am converting a 69 Ghia coupe from an auto to a 4 speed. I went out to a parts car and got a correct length shift tube and noticed that the tube had a spring that went over the tube (not the shifter spring and not the locking ring on the bushing). The spring was approx. 6 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter (guessing from the view I got through the shifter hole). When I removed the tube from the car the spring had fallen out into the tunnel and considering the weather - I thought I could always get one from another VW. Well I have already discovered that a bug does not use this spring (Ghia only?) and I am having difficulty in locating another spring. Any advice or has anyone discovered this spring already (and maybe send me one???
Thanks,
Dave?

I didn't find a spring anywhere on my shift rod. I'm wondering if the spring you found had either fallen into the tunnel from something else done back in the day or perhaps there is a spring on the e-brake? (I can't recall if the ebrake has one off-hand though) Or maybe the previous owner of the parts car you pulled it from put a spring on between the shift "cup" and the bushing/hanger to help spring back the rod? Although not sure that would help in any way or even be possible if it was 6 inches long. Either way, you shouldn't need a spring on there.
Diniecita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: wont go in gear Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out if this is what I need to do becuse my ghia runs, but will not go in gear. It feels like it almost slides to the spot to go into gear, but doesn't click into the gear. Do I need to replace all of this? It has been sitting for 6 months or so while we worked on the engine. Thank you
-Stephanie
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may or may not the the reason it won't go in gear, if you have been doing engine work, the first place I'd look is clutch adjustment.
but I suggest you take out the shifter (mark where it sits on the tunnel) and using a torch, have a look at the condition of this bush in the tunnel. its just behind the shifter hole.
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stick shift was rattling on my 72 square so I followed the procedure as described. All went smooth (awesome write up, especially for a nube like me). In fact the old bushing was still in good shape. I still get a good rattle at higher rpm's. It horrifically annoying at high speeds. (if 65 is considered high speed).
Any ideas what I should look for next?
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapitfirst wrote:
My stick shift was rattling on my 72 square so I followed the procedure as described. All went smooth (awesome write up, especially for a nube like me). In fact the old bushing was still in good shape. I still get a good rattle at higher rpm's. It horrifically annoying at high speeds. (if 65 is considered high speed).
Any ideas what I should look for next?

Make sure the cup that the ball of the lever goes into is packed with grease, and double check your shifter adjustment to make sure it's not holding the shift fork in the transmission against the gears. You should have a little front-to-back free play in each gear. If it is tight when in gear, then the adjustment may be off. The more experienced trans guys will probably chime in with more info...

Paul
Moogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This write up is a gold mine and perfect for this weekend's project. Thank you for this.
kevin3406
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what part of all this is the "cheat" part? you guys went the long way. i can change mine in like 5 minutes without removing anything but the shifter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: