Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Rod Bushing replacement - cheater method
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin3406 wrote:
so what part of all this is the "cheat" part? you guys went the long way. i can change mine in like 5 minutes without removing anything but the shifter.
The cheater part is not having zero clip tension fighting you when the shift rod is re-installed. With the clip in plI have to admit I've never seen the front shift rod bushing replaced without removing the rod from the front hanger. Would you care to post details? Normally, there is not enough clearance between the hangar and the rod to fit the nylon bushing while the rod is in place...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kevin3406
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure. real simple. remove shifter and plate.. drill a 1/4 inch hole thru the tunnel just under the shift rod. install a threadall covered with a nylon tube.(the bushing) then cap the ends with locknuts and secure. trim excess threadall and cover with carpet. now you can forever change the bushing quick fast and easy. you're welcome. p.s. don't forget to put the shifter back in lol
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin3406 wrote:
sure. real simple. remove shifter and plate.. drill a 1/4 inch hole thru the tunnel just under the shift rod. install a threadall covered with a nylon tube.(the bushing) then cap the ends with locknuts and secure. trim excess threadall and cover with carpet. now you can forever change the bushing quick fast and easy. you're welcome. p.s. don't forget to put the shifter back in lol

Ok, I get it now. Slight mod and not using the OEM type bushing. Sounds like it should work well, thanks for a new idea Cool
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to re-packing the ball and shifter with grease. II was having a hard time finding 1st gear after. I readjusted the plate that holds the shifter and spring in place a couple of times and I seem to have eliminated the rattle. Not sure if it was the grease or the plate adjustment but either way...I still have yet to take it for a long test . Thanks for the advice
Moogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapitfirst1 wrote:
I finally got around to re-packing the ball and shifter with grease. II was having a hard time finding 1st gear after. I readjusted the plate that holds the shifter and spring in place a couple of times and I seem to have eliminated the rattle. Not sure if it was the grease or the plate adjustment but either way...I still have yet to take it for a long test . Thanks for the advice

A great way to reset the plate is to put the bolts down to loose on the shifter plate, go through the gears, then tighten a little more, go through again, including reverse, tighten. Rinse and repeat. Perfect shifting for me. Before this I was having trouble finding first and reverse was impossible.
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's back and driving me crazy. It may have never been gone. I took it for a good highway drive last weekend and the shifter rattles like before. I'm wondering if it's maybe the connection from the shaft to the transmission. It rattles when under load at higher RPM's (around 60 mph).

I'll have to jack it up again and take a look. It all seemed tight when I put it back together. I remember seeing a photo somewhere with what looked like a spring over top of the shaft putting some downward pressure in the shaft. More research needed.

Thanks for the advice on the shifter plate. Every once in a while second gear seems to be illusive. I'll give your method a try.
Moogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapitfirst1 wrote:
It's back and driving me crazy. It may have never been gone. I took it for a good highway drive last weekend and the shifter rattles like before. I'm wondering if it's maybe the connection from the shaft to the transmission. It rattles when under load at higher RPM's (around 60 mph).

Mine still rattled and came back after a period of time. I did this and I haven't had a rattle since.
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that looks reasonable. I'll give that a try. Between the rod and the bushing by the coupler. Any chance you have a photo of this?
Moogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapitfirst1 wrote:
OK, that looks reasonable. I'll give that a try. Between the rod and the bushing by the coupler. Any chance you have a photo of this?

Just slice those grommets in half and put one on each side in-between the bushing and the rod:

blue things are the half grommets. Should give you the idea...
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are awesome! thanks!
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in the grommets last fall and then winter came so I parked the car. Sadly, the evil noise is back. I will re-examine my grommet work to make sure they are in tact. Maybe I can stuff in some slightly thicker grommets but I don't know if that will solve the problem. The rattle is really over the top annoying. The engine is loud enough, so I have to figure this out.
I will do some more 'googling'. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapitfirst1 wrote:
I put in the grommets last fall and then winter came so I parked the car. Sadly, the evil noise is back. I will re-examine my grommet work to make sure they are in tact. Maybe I can stuff in some slightly thicker grommets but I don't know if that will solve the problem. The rattle is really over the top annoying. The engine is loud enough, so I have to figure this out.
I will do some more 'googling'. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

I may not have any new suggestions on how to solve the problem, but I do think I know why it bothers you so much.
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone picked up on my little play on words. Smile
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to replace the coupler with a new one this weekend. the old one looks fine but maybe there is some play in there that is not obvious to me. If that doesn't work, I'll need to get creative.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if perhaps there's a problem with the nosecone bushing where the shaft exits the trans, or a problem with a shifter fork or something. Did you ever get the shift plate adjusted? If out of adjustment, then the shift fork will have pressure on it while driving which will vibrate the linkage. I'm sure you have gone though most everything on this list, but just to double check, the common rattle points are:

1. Loose shift knob.
2. Loose shift plate.
3. Worn or dry shift lever pivot.
4. Worn or dry shift lever ball and rod cup.
5. Worn front bushing.
6. Missing bushing clip.
7. Worn or damaged front bushing support in tunnel.
8. Worn rear bushing.
9. Damaged or split rear bushing cage.
10. Loose rear bushing mount screw.
11. Loose or damaged coupling screw.
12. Worn nosecone shaft bushing.

At this point since you've covered most of the bases, it may be a good time to take someone along for a ride with the rear seat bottom and the coupling access cover removed. When the rattle starts, the person listening should apply sideways pressure to shaft right where it comes out of the trans, then work forward to the coupling and rod to rule out the rear trouble spots. Make sure you don't shift while their fingers are in there!

Paul
mapitfirst1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good list Altema. Check marks along side all of them.
I had a stressful few hours yesterday replacing the coupler. The new coupler pin looked like it should fit but was too snug for me to get it through the rod. Inevitably, I dropped all sorts of parts into the bowels of my floor pan and spent most of my time fishing them out. There is still one of the bushings floating around under there somewhere. Yes, there was some cuss words emanating from the garage. I ended up using the old pin which looks fine anyways. The rattle now vibrates at a different frequency so it reaffirms that the coupler is likely the culprit. I still have to take it on the highway to see how bad it is at high speeds. Ugh!
Thanks
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapitfirst1 wrote:

I'll have to jack it up again and take a look. It all seemed tight when I put it back together. I remember seeing a photo somewhere with what looked like a spring over top of the shaft putting some downward pressure in the shaft. More research needed.

Thanks for the advice on the shifter plate. Every once in a while second gear seems to be illusive. I'll give your method a
Need help with shifter problem also. I also have issue with flat piece of metal that appears to be putting pressure down on shifter rod. It is located behind shifter plate. It is a 59 model pan. Thanks for any help!
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old jersey wrote:
Need help with shifter problem also. I also have issue with flat piece of metal that appears to be putting pressure down on shifter rod. It is located behind shifter plate. It is a 59 model pan. Thanks for any help!

I don't recall a piece of metal behind the shifter plate that would contact the rod, but mine is a 1970. Is it possible to get a picture?
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the shift rod guide bracket?
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Shift-Rod-1956-64-Beetle-and-Ghia-for-Round-p/113-711-155.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say thanks to Altema for this thread and to all that contributed, I did my bush and coupler today on my 69 after finding it very difficult to select 1st and 2nd and my car has an old EMPI trigger shifter which made the situation far worse, I recalled this thread and used it to help me along.

I ended up using a bamboo cane with a piece of wire in a loop at the end to fish the rod out and also used a piece of number 8 wire (Kiwi's favorite) to hook the shift rod back up from the tunnel when getting the rod back into the guide.

My car has 88k from new and my bush was stuffed and the coupler was loose and perished, but now it shifts like a champ.

Here's what I removed

Thanks for your help folks.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: