Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
butlern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I just got a quote yesterday for $450 to strip and powder coat my engine tins (all parts).

This seems crazy expensive. But it might just be me... and this is the only place in my area, I have been told (but I'm digging deeper and widening my search). And my car is not a show car.

If that truly is the current "going rate," then it's too expensive for me to justify and I would be interested in hearing about member experiences with successful and best methods for do-it-yourself degreasing and getting some high-temperature rattle can paint applied.

Thanks

Noah
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

Well, this is a timely post as I just sent mine off to be powder coated. Originally, I painted my tins with Rustoleum "Hammered" finish. It looked nice but I was never in love with it. Additionally, I had to be very careful not to damage the finish when I worked on the motor. If I dinged anything it was almost impossible to touch up without being noticeable. Over the years it's been dinged enough to need a redo.
The price you were quoted seems to be about right and likely will never have to be addressed once done.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I guess you could set your expectations with a gut-shot estimate of Time-and-Materials:

$320 = $20/hr x16hr metal prep/paint time
$150 = materials and overhead (paint/I have a sandblaster and you don't etc..)

$470

I have no idea if that is an actual shop rate or materials...but it seems ballparkish for a shop that hasn't done it beore. Maybe go to a do-it-yourself sandblast place and buy a pint of POR-15 on your own to get it down?
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I sent mine to Awesome Powdercoat in OH and they came out really nice. The worst part is shipping.

If you're not doing a show car and don't mind putting in the elbow grease you can sand down and rattlecan paint it yourself again. Maybe use 2K paint in a spray paint can from Eastwood or off of Amazon. VHT satin black is also nice paint.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
I sent mine to Awesome Powdercoat in OH and they came out really nice. The worst part is shipping.

If you're not doing a show car and don't mind putting in the elbow grease you can sand down and rattlecan paint it yourself again. Maybe use 2K paint in a spray paint can from Eastwood or off of Amazon. VHT satin black is also nice paint.

Agree, Eastwood paints are of good quality.

Clark has mine as we speak. Fortunately he is only an hour or so from me so I save on the shipping.

Mike Gerson

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I cleaned my Ghia's tins myself and after 'n light sanding used Hammerite (hammered finish) from a rattle can ($20, with paint to spare after 3 coats) . 5 years later and it's still good everywhere. It's a job that can be finished in a morning - no way will I pay $450 for that.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

Hmm... painted tins seemed to work fine for the VW factories for years...

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

tjschmidty wrote:
I guess you could set your expectations with a gut-shot estimate of Time-and-Materials:

$470

I have no idea if that is an actual shop rate or materials...but it seems ballparkish for a shop that hasn't done it beore. Maybe go to a do-it-yourself sandblast place and buy a pint of POR-15 on your own to get it down?

Powder coating in and of itself isn't expensive - stripping & prepping the parts for coating is where most of the Labor cost is incurred.

bnc
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I cleaned my Ghia's tins myself and after 'n light sanding used Hammerite (hammered finish) from a rattle can ($20, with paint to spare after 3 coats) . 5 years later and it's still good everywhere. It's a job that can be finished in a morning - no way will I pay $450 for that.

I did mine a dozen years ago. The tins were looking tired plus I wanted a slightly different finish that I am unable to create with paint.
The Hammered finish was nice though😃

Mike Gerson

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I hammertoned a set of tins 20 years ago. Recently tore the engine down and over the weekend I power washed them... they still look half decent... some chipping around some of the screw holes. I’m going to re do them in the same silver hammer tone. It’s all about the prep... I’m sure that’s where most of your cost is at. Surfaces have to be clean for a proper PC job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I had all my engine tin off a 67 bug powder coated probably 10 years ago. It was less than $200 dollars and I'm thinking it was $150.00

They did a great job too.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of powder coating. It nearly always cracks and lets corrosion under the finish. especially in harsh environments. Instead of that, I used ceramic coating on my engine tins. Comes out a similar black colour to the original tin and handles higher temperatures than paint. While I was there I did the heat exchangers in dull silver. It wasn't particularly expensive.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
butlern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

Checkedin with a few other service providers in other communities (each about an hour or more away from me).

Interesting range of pricing. From $250 to $450 for the same group of parts. With no correlation between cost and size of town/community.

Could there be massive variance in the quality of the work? I suppose, as mentioned, it all starts with prep and the cleanliness of the metal, but beyond that one would hope the materials and the coating would be similar if not identical.

I also appreciate the feedback on rattle can and limits of PC and potential for PC to crack...

I'll likely just paint it all myself.

Thanks for the replies

Noah
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

tjschmidty wrote:

$470

$20 per hour?? Good luck with that. I don't know of any business that could survive at that rate. At least not in Vermont.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Going rate these days (in your area) on powder coating tins? Reply with quote

Yeah $20 would be low. The point still stands...run a napkin estimate and pick your tolerable range.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: