Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ATOGAS GERÄT performance accessory: 36 HP engine-HELP Please
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: ATOGAS GERÄT performance accessory: 36 HP engine-HELP Please Reply with quote

Go here to see what I am asking about:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=458661

I have a stock 36HP engine except that it has dome topped pistons. I have TWO questions as follows:

Has anyone installed one - if yes how much did it improve performance and in what way - exceleration, top speeed etc?

What did you use for the "yellow" hoses shown in the picture since the NOS kit I have does not include them.

Matthew Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious why you guys dont just put a more modern motor in your bugs... Does the 1300/1500/1600 fit at all?
I understand the whole restoration angle but still.. If you were to drive it a lot wouldnt it make more sence to have enough power to get on the freeway??
Wolfgang1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
I'm curious why you guys dont just put a more modern motor in your bugs... Does the 1300/1500/1600 fit at all?
I understand the whole restoration angle but still.. If you were to drive it a lot wouldnt it make more sence to have enough power to get on the freeway??

You can`t explain vintage speed, you have it or.....not! Laughing

Wolfgang

PS.: That`s the most often asked question during vintage speed parts hunting: why didn`t use a 1600 dp?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
If you were to drive it a lot wouldnt it make more sence to have enough power to get on the freeway??

How about those of us cavemen who don't want to drive on the freeway with our old, slow, noisy bugs, who would rather drive on local streets or country roads instead, even if it takes a little longer to get there? Very Happy

Sorry, Matthew, for being off-topic, but I just had to put in my 2 cents.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really I understand. But it seems that parts and all are getting more and more hard to find. If a newer model motor would bolt in, why not? Just polish the 36hp and drop it in for shows and cruise nights.. Many people who I talk to who have 36 and 40hp motors arent happy with them and want to make them more powerful.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, silly as it sounds, I have a desire to be transported back in time. Part of that is the sight, smell, sound and operation of a machine that is essentially unchanged. For instance, a steam locomotive. A Victrola. A horse and buggy. Or an old car still in original condition.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
I'm curious why you guys dont just put a more modern motor in your bugs...

Let's just assume you're truly curious, and not just pushing reason over inspiration.

It fits the engine compartment properly, including the rear apron shape. It weighs less and makes the car handle differently, especially when driving alone. When you check the oil, or just lift the lid to look at it, which happens surprisingly often, you see a curved fan shroud that mirrors the roof line, the fenders, the oval window, the hood, the dash and the speaker grill. You see fuel lines which have solid connections that will never leak and a vacuum advance line that looks like an artist designed it and spark plug wires that run through tubes instead of being un-ceremoniously tacked to the fan shroud. When your Brother-in-law comes over for some ridiculous get-together that takes you away from more important things, you can't help but show it off, knowing he will not understand, but you do it anyway. From the exhaust, to the whir of the cooling fan, to the air sucking through the air cleaner, and the noise resonating through the heater channels, it sounds uniquely different from any other engine configuration.

It really has nothing to do with speed or horsepower. Take a look at a Kadron dual carb setup, on some 1600 squared off fan shroud motor with giant paper heater tubes sticking out the back of it. Then look at a Okrassa, or any other 36hp dual car setup or a Judson supercharger on a 36hp motor. It doesn't matter that nobody else can see it or that you are still slower than a Skoda. You know that it's old, it's a work of art, and every time you drive it you are the king of the road.
baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowI almost shed a tear Surprised
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to ask the question...you're never going to get it. Go fit your big engine.

The Atogas kit will give a very modest boost to performance, but they are rare...so you have the cool factor. Be happy with that. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psychosquirrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:
I'm curious why you guys dont just put a more modern motor in your bugs...

Let's just assume you're truly curious, and not just pushing reason over inspiration.
It doesn't matter that nobody else can see it or that you are still slower than a Skoda. You know that it's old, it's a work of art, and every time you drive it you are the king of the road.

Thats it, you made up my mind for me: i'm keeping the 36!
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

Man I'm so Glad I bought my Autogas when it was under $350.U.S. Still neatly packed away in my rarest Of the Rare Boxes. along with the Nos Judson 36hp, Nos Judson Coil in it's original box ,nos Judson boost Gauge--and the list go's on and on.
focuszx3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you buy a 50 year old car, just to try to modernize it? Seems to defeat the purpose of buying an old car to me. I bought mine because I specifically wanted small windows, no synchro in 1st (I would have real liked a crashbox but I digress) and most importantly a 36 horse engine. I'd never put a 40 horse or larger in mine.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

Eric Outland wrote:
Man I'm so Glad I bought my Autogas when it was under $350.U.S. Still neatly packed away in my rarest Of the Rare Boxes. along with the Nos Judson 36hp, Nos Judson Coil in it's original box ,nos Judson boost Gauge--and the list go's on and on.

Now THIS is the kind of stuff I don't understand. Keeping awesome old parts hidden in boxes at your house? What, are you saving them to sell for your retirement?

Seriously...what in the world for? At least put it on display somewhere or SOMETHING. Sell me the Judson, I'll USE IT. Very Happy
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

AHHH Corwin In there does lie a method to my madness! Oh They will be used on My 1957 Delux sedan(Black with Red interior!) But Untill all Paint and Body work are fineeto, it's nice to just look at all that Hard to find Rarest of the Rare Goodies. Reflecting Back on the horse trades--the wheels and deals--the many miles traveld for a specific 2 in 1 motometer gauge Nos in the Box, with Purchase reciept of all things, from the man himself Joe Vittone shop here in Riverside Calif=(EMPI)
Yes Corwin some infact will be used while other's---well sentimental Value, and passing them on to the next generation of VW enthusiast's=My 10 year old Son, and my 13 year old Daughter, who already know how to tune a stock VW, let alone Pull a motor and tear it down, will inherit the rest.
My collection is far----- to very far----- away from being classified as Hording! I could drop a few Dimes on Individuals ( which I wouldn't even dare to do so) That put the deffinition in webster's Dictonary for the word hording. In fact some of these guy's have enough Vintage speed and heat wrapped old Nos Goodies to open up there own shop! but That's whole other Subject in itself.
Corwin George Folchi Can hook you up with a restored 36hp Judson. Get to the Bug-in this year and Check out Randy Carlsons Memmorabilia of past Bug-in and Silent Auction goodies. Bring your bank roll-- this stuff is going to go for some serious Coinage. Eric (VMR)
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. There is a lot of hoarding going on though. Sad
Ironically often by the same people that lament how expensive the hobby has gotten...
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.... Confused So what you are tring to tell me is that the old vintage bugs are just ornaments? Something to look at?? Not something to drive? Very Happy

What I was making referance to is to install a later model motor if possible so you can enjoy the car more and keep the 36hp at home on a pedastal all polished and clean! Wear out the later modle motor and keep that nice vintage jewl of a motor in pristing condition for the shows Very Happy

Bad Idea??
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

focuszx3r wrote:
Why would you buy a 50 year old car, just to try to modernize it?

Because carbs are for dinosaurs. EFI is where it's at, thought you knew? Wink I know I'm preaching to the choir on this one but trust me, nothing makes an old VW more enjoyable than not ever having to worry about another carb adjustment, or carrying extra oil, or wondering if that NOS set of pistons will fall apart on you. While I agree there IS something to be said about old stuff-how it feels, how it smells, how it works- NOTHING (for me) will replace the sense of security and enjoyability factor modern technology can bring to my old car.

I will confess to being one of those pot calling the kettle black types though, it seems I can't enjoy music these days unless it's played through a vintage tube amp. Smile

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
NOTHING (for me) will replace the sense of security and enjoyability factor modern technology can bring to my old car.

I get that modern technology security by driving my minivan. Wink

focuszx3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. I dont drive this car to work or for most daily activity, I cruise on the weekend, and then when it needs work I work on it. The joy of working on it is partly because there is no deadline (except maybe to go for a ride on a nice day). Part of the fun of an old car is doing all that maintenance, adjusting carbs etc etc. When I want modern car amenities I drive a modern car.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why own a car if you're not going to drive it regularly? I never understood that. Yeah, it's rare, but do you guys think you're decreasing the likelyhood of being in a wreck, or increasing it's lifespan or something? It a car, not a person-drive the thing for Pete's sake! Rolling Eyes

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: