Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane Tank-Extra Large from BusDepot (Got a PIC?)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Propane Tank-Extra Large from BusDepot (Got a PIC?) Reply with quote

I need to replace the regulator on the LPG tank of my 84-westy-4sp-bostig.. and I noticed that BusDepot has a Extra-Large propage tank for $200:
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=68160

Seems like a pretty good deal, considering a new stock-size on is $360.

But it's supposed to reduce the clearance by 2.5", which seems like a lot.

Anyone got a pic of it hanging under the van? Or maybe in a non-stock location that doesn't reduce the clearance by so much.
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433581&highlight=simply+stunning

nod7
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I just saw pics of it recently!

Anything of the custom bracket?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you saw it here? Rolling Eyes

nod7 wrote:
Here you go;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433581&highlight=simply+stunning

nod7

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank-Extra Large from BusDepot (Got a PIC?) Reply with quote

boulderdrop wrote:
I need to replace the regulator on the LPG tank of my 84-westy-4sp-bostig..

I just removed my tank got it blasted and put new paint and hardware, needed all the vavles and regulators and bought it all from terry kay here at Samba.

Worked out great, just another option if you dont want to spend the $$ of a new tank.

http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/
2BOLLOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Why not add another tank??? Reply with quote

Idea?
Add another tank, on otherside. All the studs are there and the weight is even.
I did it it works great! Wink
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not add another tank??? Reply with quote

2BOLLOX wrote:
Idea?

Any pictures?
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pics of the custom bracket. You can kind of see it in the picture there. It's basically just two U shaped loops cut to exact length to hook to the stock location. It has a strips of rubber between the tank and bracket.

nod7
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am getting the larger BD propane tanks for my MV and would love to see more 'up under' picks of that bracket. I'm assuming that the two halves meet at bottom middle where they are bolted together?

At 200.00 a pop, it'd be fun to run one on each side. One for BBQ and another for future propex heater or tied in series or just to say you have two.

More photos of that larger propane tank please. Show us some skin!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that BD extra large (I bought one too) is very nearly the same capacity of a 30# BBQ style propane tank.
if you had 2, besides the huge increase of weight (and I'm not usually a weight conscious camper) you'd only have to fill them once every other year. really no need to tote that much propane with you.

We have plans to run dual westy tanks on one van, but on my syncro project i'm planning to at some time get a saddle fuel tank so can only run 1 propane tank... and with a 12K BTU furnace I'd like some capacity. Wink

EvilDNA wrote:
I too am getting the larger BD propane tanks for my MV and would love to see more 'up under' picks of that bracket. I'm assuming that the two halves meet at bottom middle where they are bolted together?

At 200.00 a pop, it'd be fun to run one on each side. One for BBQ and another for future propex heater or tied in series or just to say you have two.

More photos of that larger propane tank please. Show us some skin!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Have you mounted the BD Large Tank yet? Does the tank run up tight against the bottom floor pan, with the curvature of the cylinder right up against the flat of the under body and the fab'd straps bolted then to existing westy tank mount holes? I'm certain it'll be easy enough to see when I get the tank.

The two tank thing is way overkill for sure, but there is a mild OCD streak in me that results in buying things in pairs. It's annoying sure, but I've found that I always have a spare . . .
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Oversize B/D Propane Tank Install Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those pictures. I got my tank the other day and needed this. I also am curious about the mounting strap.

Is each strap one piece? Two?

Does each end of the strap bolt to the nuts I see welded to the undercarriage, even on my 90 Multivan?

I assume the welded nuts are for the original propane tank but I've never seen how that original tank bolts up, so I'm guessing.

What did you use as a source for the straps? I'm certain the bolt up is easy but as they say, a picture is worth a few words.

Thanks!
Evil
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Another question.

Regarding the mounting bracket that you drilled out to regain that extra inch . . . Do you use that more as a stabilizing foot against the undercarriage in conjunction with the tank strap or do you bolt it through the pan?

Thanks Again,
Evil
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not add another tank??? Reply with quote

86syncrowesty wrote:
2BOLLOX wrote:
Idea?

Any pictures?

here is how I did it on my westy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366868&highlight=second

more pics here on the job I did

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350501&highlight=

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each strap is one peice

Each end of the strap bolts to the nuts you see welded to the undercarriage.

Source: I believe Zoltan wen to Home Depot, grabbed some straight zinc coated metal and bent them. He also grabbed some rubber lining they sell there to cushion it between the tank and the strap.

EvilDNA wrote:
Thanks for those pictures. I got my tank the other day and needed this. I also am curious about the mounting strap.

Is each strap one piece? Two?

Does each end of the strap bolt to the nuts I see welded to the undercarriage, even on my 90 Multivan?

I assume the welded nuts are for the original propane tank but I've never seen how that original tank bolts up, so I'm guessing.

What did you use as a source for the straps? I'm certain the bolt up is easy but as they say, a picture is worth a few words.

Thanks!
Evil
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't drill out the mounting bracket. I got rid of hte mounting bracket. The mounts the bracket bolts to on the tank have a flat top that is held tight against the undercarriage there by keeping the tank from rotating.

EvilDNA wrote:
Oops. Another question.

Regarding the mounting bracket that you drilled out to regain that extra inch . . . Do you use that more as a stabilizing foot against the undercarriage in conjunction with the tank strap or do you bolt it through the pan?

Thanks Again,
Evil
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Mail I sent to the Bus Depot Reply with quote

Ron from Bus Depot contacted me. Here's my reply to him. It explains what Zoltan did and some adjustments I'm putting on my list of "To Do's".

Hi Ron,

As for mods and alterations, not much at all was done to the tank itself. Just two holes drilled in the valve guard/shield so that the bracket to hold the regulator could be bolted to it.

As I wrote this, I realized there's lots of room for improvement over my current setup which I will no doubt institute.

Here's a list of the things that were done to make it fit.
1) The two factory mounting brackets that came with the tank were not used. The part welded to the tank that these fasten to does however play a key roll in mounting the tank.

2) Two U shaped mounting brackets were made for the tank. They were bent at both top ends with holes drilled in them so that they could be screwed into the factory bolt hoes. Factory bolts were used to do this. A thin strip of rubber was laid betwen the bracket and the tank.

3) Positioning of the forward bracket on the tank is important. The bracket must go between the fill spout and the forward most nozzle. (you can see in the picture. Otherwise you will cover the hole to the sink drain.

4) A couple extensions were added to the copper propane pipes were made so they would reach the regulator but, if you used a different design and mounting location for the regulator bracket, you might not need make these.

5) As it is the cap for the sink drain can no longer be put on since the tank butts up right against it. However, I have not yet investegated if the mounting bracket could be moved up over the last nozzle on the left thus moving the tank back toward the water tank drain. There might be room.

6) The tank came with brackets welded on each end. These have a flat top. The U shaped mounting brackets when tightened hold this flat top flush with the underbody of the van. This helps prevent the tank from rotating. Even if the tank was to rotate, the guard mounted to the tank would not touch ground. I tested to make sure.

To derive how much clearance I lost, I eyeballed the lowest point underneath the van to the ground and compared it to the lowest part of the propane tank (the guard). It looks to have only lost one inch.

Hope this is helpful.

-nod7
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nod7,

Thanks a ton! I'm ready to proceed. Two follow up questions:

1. Re: the bracket that the regulator was bolted up with . . . this came with the regulator (Bus Depot) or was simple fab'd up by your installer?

2. Re: the bolts, strap and stock nuts welded to the pan . . . did you simply a bolt from bottom up OR thread a bolt top down and secure with a nut from the underside? The welded nut seems tack welded on (not strong) and another contributor here showed himself using a bolt going from the top of the pan down, threaded through the nut and then secured with the strap and locking nut, etc.

Thanks Again.

eDNA
nod7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Fab'd up by my installer Zoltan. He made it of the same steel he made the straps from. So this gives you an ide of how rigid the steel is you use for the straps

2) My bolts were sticking down and we just slid on the straps and put a washer & nut on them. I thought that the bolts comming down were stock. They seem welded in place on my van. Mines an 1987. Were thes stock mounting setup for the propane tank different year to year?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: