Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Questions for EFI to Carb Conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Newbie Questions for EFI to Carb Conversion Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1978 Beetle Convertible that has been in a barn since 1996. The engine is currently being rebuilt because it was frozen. I am restoring this car to use as a daily driver, and I am assuming the EFI is shot so I am going to convert this engine to a carburator. I have several questions:

1. I probably will use one of the CP Performance complete conversion kits but I don't know what is a good choice for a daily driver...I'm looking for suggestions.

2. Does converting to a carburator affect the heater boxes and the muffler?

3. The fuel injection plenum supports the alternator, what replaces this support when the EFI is removed?

4. Is a 1978 engine single port or dual port? Whats the difference?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spikedog
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Or just pickup the parts for carb in the swap section of this website or your local VW swap meet.

Suggest you see first if the FI is really dead though.

2. No.

3. An alternator stand.

4. Dual port. One has a single port to the head and the other has two.

Get this manual ASAP:

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Official-Service-...ice+manual

Do check out the "Dictionary" via the "Technical" button at upper right, and the "Search" feature thru the "Forums" button also above.

Have fun with your to you new VW!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to keep the FI if this is gonna be a stock daily driver. The smoothest VW I ever drove was a late 70s with Fuel Injection. I always thought it would be nice to install that FI in my 69.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a centermount carburetor(stock style, 1 carburetor) you will need to change the exhaust and heaterboxes to get the proper pre-heat for the manifold

you can ignore the above if you want to get say a pair of 34 ICT's or a set of 40/44 Kadrons

you will need an alternator stand to get rid of the FI Plenum/alternator stand

If you want to stay centermount-CB's milage master would work, you would still need the alternator stand though

call dibs on the FI stuff if your still going to get rid of it

My engine build
spikedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I would try to keep the FI if this is gonna be a stock daily driver. The smoothest VW I ever drove was a late 70s with Fuel Injection. I always thought it would be nice to install that FI in my 69.

All of you seem to agree that FI is better than a carburetor and I have no problem with that. Does anyone know a fuel injection service that can check out and service the FI components I have and bench test everything before installation?

Thanks for your comments and help.

Spikedog
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest buying the orange Bentley shop manual, that has a nice section on the factory fuel injection, I doubt there are very many places that could diagnose the factory system

things that would need to either be rebuilt or replaced include the airflow meter(test it thoroughly, could just need a simple cleaning), fuel pump, and the injectors them selves, fuel left in the system will wreak havoc on an injector, so there is a good chance that the injectors have gone bad since storage

My engine build
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for about $100 you can send the injectors to www.cruzinperformance.com or www.witchunter.com and they will clean and calibrate the injectors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: