Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Beetle Rotisserie - photos, plans and supply list
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to lighten up on the guy. What he's built is WAAAAY overkill for the paltry 250-300lbs that a bare shell weighs. Sure it isn't pretty, and the welds are lacking, but I'd love to borrow that when he's done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You guys need to lighten up on the guy. What he's built is WAAAAY overkill for the paltry 250-300lbs that a bare shell weighs. Sure it isn't pretty, and the welds are lacking, but I'd love to borrow that when he's done with it.

Yep,Id borrow it too,rework the joints and stick weld it with 1/8" 7018 (position weld for the killer burn) as my "rental fee"
zeroclearance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Yep,Id borrow it too,rework the joints and stick weld it with 1/8" 7018 (position weld for the killer burn) as my "rental fee"

Agreed.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, thanks for sharing what you took the time to make and also took the time to show us how you made it.

I'll say that I do think long and hard before sharing something I did or created on this site. The critics are sitting just waiting to pounce!! Those who can do a task often fail to understand the efforts of those learning how to do the task. This is so much like the father shoving the kid out of the way when doing a project saying that he'll do it, it will be better and faster but......the child never learns.
I once shared an idea not long ago, asking for feedback and I got torn to shreds for being a half assed mechanic, creating dangerous vehicles and on and on and on. He never met me, we've never conversed, he's never seen anything I've ever done yet he tromped me into the mud!! I responded calling him out on this, he shut up and hasn't ever responded to my post. He is on here a lot and in most forums, just a forum bully is all he is. Bullies often back down when confronted, in real life and in cyber life.

Sure, others will do a better weld job, sure others can do a better fab job and the advice given to you isn't all bad. It's the lack of kindness and compassion that is bad. Sadly advice given on anonymous forums like this often comes out as piercing and hurtful.

IS what you made going to hold up? No one knows for sure. I'd beat on the welds pretty hard and look for cracks and then reweld as needed. A good weld makes one piece of metal out of two, just as strong if not stronger. Most of us cannot weld to that quality level!

Enjoy, heed the advice given but really, think twice before jumping into the lions den again!

I tend to favor the Ghia forum, it is a much kinder and gentler group. Also John runs a tight ship and the forum oozes encouragement! Rarely is it nasty or cutting.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I once shared an idea not long ago, asking for feedback and I got torn to shreds for being a half assed mechanic, creating dangerous vehicles and on and on and on. He never met me, we've never conversed, he's never seen anything I've ever done yet he tromped me into the mud!! I responded calling him out on this, he shut up and hasn't ever responded to my post. He is on here a lot and in most forums, just a forum bully is all he is. Bullies often back down when confronted, in real life and in cyber life.

unfortunately, folks take other's personal opinions as an attack, or being "bullied" instead of what it was.... someone's opinion.... then overreactions happen... it's not always the *other* guy that is the ass, sometimes it's the one that can't take someone's opinions.... Wink

djkeev wrote:
Sadly advice given on anonymous forums like this often comes out as piercing and hurtful.

lack of "tone" makes written communication open to what the reader *thinks* someone means, not necessarily what they *do* mean...

GEX has. Just sayin
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this up! I've been thinking of building one of these. How much do you think you have in materials?
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It's the lack of kindness and compassion that is bad.

"Sometimes its hard to be a woman,giving all your love to just one man
...but if you love him,be proud of him,for after all he's just a man"

Tammy Wynette
zeroclearance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I'll say that I do think long and hard before sharing something I did or created on this site. The critics are sitting just waiting to pounce!! Those who can do a task often fail to understand the efforts of those learning how to do the task. This is so much like the father shoving the kid out of the way when doing a project saying that he'll do it, it will be better and faster but......the child never learns.

So wouldn't us telling him this CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, help him out? Would that make us the dad, showing the kid the right way, instead of the wrong?

And I think that would make you the mom, telling the child to come in when he gets a "boo boo"...We are all adults in here, and we SHOULD be able to take the criticism, and act upon it, in a positive way, rather then whining...
unclepete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

When he goes to turn the body by applying an upward force a the edge of the car, the maximum stress will happen at the fixed end at the welds if the shaft(rotissore shaft) is locked in place. Failure will be based on the strength of the welds. These welds to me are crap. If you cant weld, lay dimes, then you shouldnt be building anything structurally until you learn how to properly weld. You endanger the safety of others when you procceed. So don't tell use to lighten up bruce, would you feel safe welding under neath this???
Adjust your setting on your welder and ask a buddy who knows how to weld to show you what's up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BXRJIM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before-I like the rotisserie. The welds are'nt great but I do think they'll hold. They have'nt failed yet so they probably won't. Keep and eye on them for cracks or any kind of stress to be safe which I would do no matter if I thought they were perfect or not. The bearing weight will change constantly with every rotation. Next time if you grind in a chamfer (a 45 deg.) and may be turn down the wire speed a turn up the amps with 3 good overlapping weld it would be better.
l
l
/ o
o_o__

The angeled line is your chamfer ground into the steel and the straight lines are the steel. The o's are your welds.

My 2 cents.

To the critics- lets see your rotisserie and exapels of perfect welds.
We could all learn more from you. Wink

Jim
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BXRJIM wrote:

Jim

sorry Jim, the majority of my welds are in high pressure steam systems in power plants and such... The last professional weld I did was 10 years ago, so no pictures.... I'm not a doctor, either, but if your arm had the bone sticking out, I'd feel confident telling you your arm is broken... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
BXRJIM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
I'm not a doctor, either, but if your arm had the bone sticking out, I'd feel confident telling you your arm is broken... Wink

Laughing Thats a great comment! Understood! Laughing

Jim
zeroclearance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BXRJIM wrote:

Jim

I am not saying my welds are perfect, but in all reality, my brother who is 14 can get a better penetrating weld then the one's showed. we we're all trying to be nice about it in the beginning, until all the "moms" butted in when they really just need to keep baking cookies or some shit.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
BXRJIM wrote:

Jim

sorry Jim, the majority of my welds are in high pressure steam systems in power plants and such... The last professional weld I did was 10 years ago, so no pictures.... I'm not a doctor, either, but if your arm had the bone sticking out, I'd feel confident telling you your arm is broken... Wink

"and you can tell a good steak by stickin your head up a cows ass,but I would rather take the butchers word for it"
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

GEX has. Just sayin
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

Poor welding process...failure to properly join welded areas,failure to use an oscillating or weave welding technique,failure to multipass welds in light of a under amperage machine.
lack of basic engineering skills...improper gusseting,inproper joining of tubing for maximum load transfer,extreme weight due to material over spec.,failure to understand loading of device in use,demonstrated inability to perform simple measurements.

Now I bet your butthurt....but get over it,displaying a complex proceedure like the fabrication of body rotator is pretty difficult,and you did a helluva job with layout and readability of the instructions.

wow- that was a CLASSY and CONSTRUCTIVE addition to this thread- NOT
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
eguti66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show a pic of the body mounted to the rotisserie? I think you did a great job building the rotisserie.

66 beetle
65 karmann ghia
58 beetle
58 convertible beetle
64 11w standard
68 Squareback
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MAT792
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is great mate!
woopdeedoo if your welds aren't the best, you did what you can
im looking into making something very similar for mine at the moment and this is a great idea!
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So much going back and forth! I must have not gotten notifications... Anyway, yes the welds are not the best. I've gotten welding sheet metal down to an art, but this is the first time I've really welded heavy gauge metal. An experienced welder probably could have built this rotisserie with lesser gauge steel and gotten a better result. That's why it's overkill a bit.

My criticism to the criticism was that I got "looks good bro, but implementation is lacking." That's NOT constructive criticism. That's just a jab for no reason. I can tell you that I'm using the rotisserie and it works great! So lacking or not, it works and it's strong. I'm just trying to help out the community. It takes a lot of time to research, plan and gather materials, so I thought I'd help the community by posting what I did so that others can either use it or glean ideas from it. That's all.
tlambert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, what was the height to the roof line with the car mounted up?

Any pics with the car on it?

Thanks for posting up your plans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: