Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The first time seeing a VW engine out of a car....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: The first time seeing a VW engine out of a car.... Reply with quote

Was around 1980. I think it was my mom's friends son, and he was taking the engine out of one Bug and putting it in another that my mom had at the time.
He had the back end off the ground and was getting ready to install the engine when I walked in and was looking at it. I think it was probably the first time I'd seen one and definately the first time out of a car.
The really wierd part is that I can remember the feeling I experienced when seeing it, and the way it looked to me at the time, but I cannot recreate it when looking at an engine now, 30 years later. It was.... bulbous.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll catch that sensation every once in a long while. Its unexplainable. It was about 1980 and i was about 12yrs old and ive been hooked ever since
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time was my 2nd day as mechanic assistant. The guy would tell me what to do, like crawl under and disconnect the two lower nuts with a 17mm box wrench, then to plug fuel line, etc. I was amazed it went so quickly.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
thewalkingdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: The first time seeing a VW engine out of a car.... Reply with quote

First time for me was helping my brother-in-law swap the transmission out of his 60 Beetle in 1966!
mos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at a VW junkyard
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I pulled it out of my blue beetle. I didn't get to excited, it's an engine.....
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1995 - watching some friends work on theirs. Since than I have had motors and transmissions in and out more times than I can count.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shaping moment happened in 1967, when I was four. My Uncle Greg had the engine out of his red Bug ('65). He also had a brown '62 Corvair that he had the engine out of. I crawled into the engine compartment of both, staring around in amazement. The colors, smells, and textures had me mesmerized. They have been my two favorite types of cars ever since!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 10. The car a 1964 sunroof Beetle purchased for $100. It was to be my first car after years of mechanical experience and repairs. It needed a clutch. My Pop a "Learn by doing" promoter, purchased a manual for me and told me to "read". I decided it was time, and removed the engine on my own in the back yard. I remember looking at this thing thinking it sure looks like my dirt bike engine with all the cooling fins. I decided to remove the flywheel to replace the front crank seal, as Pop said it was probably a good idea. The flywheel slipped out of my hand and dropped straight to my left big toe and broke the toe. An experience to never be forgotten. Wink
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pittsburgh PA, 1987, parking lot of Grateful Dead concert. A guy had an engine out w/tons of parts spread around him.
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this past year with friends from the OCOD, and my son to help, so it was a great experience.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1969 in Sacramento. My high school buddy helped me put a new clutch in my girlfriend's Beetle. We were all done in 1/2 day! Shocked
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lahti35
Samba Member

Location: Always the wrong side of the drawbridge in Bay City, MI.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June of this year.... I really wish I could run it without the tin installed (invisble tin any one ???), very cool little power plant Cool

1962 Gulf Blue Beetle Horror...THE MOVIE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMp7QYEBNw

Trololo Man RIP 1935-2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfVdrtLcRs
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look perfect stripped down on the nose of a kit plane!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was when I was a kid, around 1970. I was already a VW freak, and I remember a neighbor had his engine completely disassembled and scattered across his garage. I remember wondering how he could ever get it all back together again.

We also had another neighbor who ran a VW in mini stocks. I remember thinking a VW race car was the coolest thing ever, and the roar of the engine was incredible! That thing must have had 12:1 compression!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 16 and trying to find my skateboard. I looked everywhere excpet outside where my dad was working on our 69 westfalia. When I started to walk closer to our westy I had noticed my dad had pulled the engine out and what would you know......there was my skateboard. That was the 1st time I had ever seen a vw engine out and I solved the mystery of the missing skateboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peluke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: bic saves the day Reply with quote

Quite a few years ago; around O'Dark thirty at night and somewhere north of lostville a friend and I where bored and driving around when the engine quits.

wasnt long before we figured out that the points where broken. the plastic rider had broken off and was grounding out.

not having a spare we where stuck. and cell phones where a few years off yet.

My buddy had the brillant thought of using a lighter to melt a pen and shape it onto the points to form a new rider, after a few attempts it worked fantastically and saw us home.

one of many amusing adventures.
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was when I was about 10 and my dad was rebuilding the motor out of our '65. I didn't even rememeber this until several years later when I saw a photograph of me with the engine.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having this Ghostbusters toy when I was 4,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought VW engines were actually monsters...

But I helped pull my first real VW engine at age 8 with my dad, out of our '73 Super.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, who knew about VW's, helped me put a new clutch in my girlfriend's bug in the parking lot in 1/2 day. We were both heroes that day! Laughing
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: