Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tijuana Mexico Body Paint Rust work - Los Ponchos
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Tijuana Mexico Body Paint Rust work - Los Ponchos Reply with quote

I am starting a new thread because after searching this topic I found no one who actually documented anything. I will do the best I can to document the work being done on my 64 transporter panel in dove blue.

My spanish is pretty good making things a bit easier than most gringos. I also live half time in Mexico but much further south, not in Tijuana. But I do have friends in Tijuana and nearby so that helps with logistics.

The bus starts out with a second paint job that after the bus sitting for several years near the beach and under trees had a LOT of rust. I managed to find a donor roof from a 58 panel that had most of the drip rail and also had both upper side vents - the roof was cut from on top of the beltline. This I took down to them and it had to be entered into Mexico by way of the Otay commercial gate. Paid $25 in customs duty for a roof clip I paid $10 for.

I bought and took a supply of Rustoleum brown primer, Rustoleum black, and grey. Entire outside will be sprayed with the primer as will the interior of cargo compartment, not cockpit. The cargo compartment will be finish painted with grey. The undercarriage chassis will be sprayed with Rust Mort and Rust Mort will be used on other places in prep of the body. I brought a supply of foam brushes for this purpose. The undercarriage will be painted with primer then finish painted in Rustoleum black. I brought mineral spirits for the Rustoleum. I provided them with the PPG and DuPont paint codes.

Included in the work will be replacing the stock rear window with a Wolfgang safari rear window bought from Pimppride in Carson (great guys!) I am also having a different configuration fabricated with the side vents in the cargo compartment. Since the donor roof will provide vents that are 'outies', inside I will have the old 'innie' vents welded and sealed inside to minimize water coming in. Also will be painting the bumpers and wheels. Bumpers in white, wheels in black. All door handles, trim, etc will be removed for painting.

The engine compartment will not be painted but the inside of the compartment door and muffler skirt will be. The compartment and gas tank will be painted when the motor comes out some time in the future.

The body shop (taller/workshop) is Los Ponchos located close to the border on Calle Negrete #958, between 3rd and 4th streets. It is one block east of the main street Av Revolucion.

Taller Los Ponchos
Florencio Martinez C. father / owner
Armando Martinez P. son / estimator
Av Negrete 958
Tijuana Centro BC
from USA - 011-52-685-4641 office
- 011-52-648-8890 cell

I dealt with Armando initially without the bus. When I brought the bus in I dealt again with Armando but his father was involved in the background with negotiations. The settled price was $3500usd. I was referred to these guys by a friend who had work done there and he was very satisfied with the outcome of a rolled Toyota 4-runner. He paid $3000 and said it turned out like new. He was referred by other friends who had the same experience. While in the process of negotiating there were several late model vehicles being worked on and a '90s BMW convertible being totally reworked/restored. The father's truck is parked out front and is good advertising with a great paint job.

The bus went to them on October 22. They said mid December or a bit later to finish. This weekend, Nov 13, I will be checking on the progress. At the same time my son will be picking-up his '90 Vanagon that is also there - started same day - which had a bit of wrinkle and ding body work and complete repaint including bumpers, $1200.

We will also be getting some upholstery work done through a guy the body shop works with, Tapiceria "Chavez" located right across the street, Guadalupe Chavez, prop. He will do the seat back of my passenger seat, a "belt" of vinyl trim in my son's Vanagon and a complete seat from a friend's 1970's something Datsun truck.

This will get edited in the next day or two as I figure out how to upload the "before" photos. Then after the check on this coming weekend I will add progress photos. The eventual end product will be a surf and camping vehicle.

I sure look forward to hearing responses.

Nos vemos a rato.

PS - PD: I live in San Luis Obispo County 400 miles north of the body shop, drove down and will drive it home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 cars upholstered there was always happy! I figured you could probably get good body/paint work there too.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are links to photos in gallery of the day I delivered the van:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tijuana Mexico Body Paint Rust work - Los Ponchos Reply with quote

sanchodosrojo wrote:
The bus went to them on October 22. They said mid December or a bit later to finish. This weekend, Nov 13, I will be checking on the progress. At the same time my son will be picking-up his '90 Vanagon that is also there - started same day - which had a bit of wrinkle and ding body work and complete repaint including bumpers, $1200.

We got my son's vanagon back last Saturday, Nov 13. It came out absolutely beautiful. Perfect paint match, all body work flawless, and the paint makes the van look like new. If this is what I can expect from them on my 1964 panel I will be a very happy camper (no pun intended).
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

I just got these photos from a friend who check the bus last Saturday. It looks like they have done a nice clean job of cutting the old roof and the donor roof. They got all of the mis-matches like the tail gate and side doors taken care of. I imagine this week will continue cutting the donor roof and then marry the two. The front glass is out so this might be a good forced decision to put in safaris. I will be visiting the bus this coming Monday next week. More photos and body shop report to follow.

[/url]
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Nothing like a panel except Maybe a double cab? Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUST-Mort is a rust converter and can only be used over rust to convert it to a primer. It has to be removed from any areas it gets on where there is no rust. Is your undercarriage and frontend solid rust? Also, it doesn't seal out moisture, which I am sure that you already know.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with three Mexicans from Vera Cruz, they started laughing when they saw this and indicated that now is the point where the stupid gringo shows up, they show you the roof cut off of the donor, your roof cut off of your car and they say that it will now cost you twice the original estimate to put it all back together......cash up front!
Notice they aren't working on it, it is a storage rack for newer cars bumpers?

My guys don't ever speak highly of the business ethics of their countrymen!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt look like a mid December finish or even a bit later. good luck. will be staying tuned for the outcome of this project.

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

small hatch white top and big hatch blue bus.

is Mexico an extension of columbia previous owners club????

looks like it is a storage shed right now.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for results from this!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:

It will be a better looking panel with the small hatch! Right? Laughing Think
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
RUST-Mort is a rust converter and can only be used over rust to convert it to a primer. It has to be removed from any areas it gets on where there is no rust. Is your undercarriage and frontend solid rust? Also, it doesn't seal out moisture, which I am sure that you already know.

Rust Mort will be used on places that have rust that will be neutralized rather than cut out. The undercarriage will be painted with Rustoleum primer then topped with Rustoleum black. Thanks for your interest.
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I work with three Mexicans from Vera Cruz, they started laughing when they saw this and indicated that now is the point where the stupid gringo shows up, they show you the roof cut off of the donor, your roof cut off of your car and they say that it will now cost you twice the original estimate to put it all back together......cash up front!

Yeah, I'd expect to hear this kind of comment coming from New Jersey. Especially one who listens to jarochos. That's how they do it. As John Wayne says, your life must be very hard. The point of my thread is to actually document an experience of getting body work in Tijuana rather than the kind of dumb stuff you posted. Where's your cojones... ask the cabrones from Veracruz.

Have you read any of the other threads about paint and body work in Tijuana? Did you get much real information from them? Any real documented experience, including photos? Or did you just click on a thread that looked interesting so you could spill your bile?

The body shop is very reputable and been in business for over 40 years. I went to them on a recommendation which came from other recommendations. I guess your Veracruz friends aren't savy enough to make it in Mexico the way the family who owns the body shop has. Which guys do you think John Wayne would side with?

In New Jersey do you get tested in school on reading comprehension? How were your grades? I see you missed the post about my son's Vanagon (above) that came out flawless including straightening, old school style, parts that seemed hopeless and produced a minor miracle. Total: $1200usd. All the finished work I have seen come out of their shop has been flawless.

You're right... they weren't working on it at the moment. It was Saturday afternoon when the photos were taken. I looked closely at the photos and was amazed at how good the cutting work has been done. I will be going there next Monday to see the van for myself. I'm sure I will be happy. I'll even report back here in spite of creeps like you. The good members of this forum might appreciate the info.

Oh, and about the work ethics of your friend's countrymen... I guess if you were as smart as John Wayne you would focus your attention on your Mexican workers who have a bad work ethic rather than my van with your stupid criticisms. It would be better if you cleaned your own house before trying to clean mine.

The one mistake I might have made is to post here about a real experience instead of opinions from a-holes like you. Everybody has an opinion about Tijuana and Mexico in general but most are like you and talking out their as**s. It's hard to understand how a guy from New Jersey could bad mouth anywhere... look where you live.

Oh, and about your jarocho friends who talk about stupid gringos... I have to laugh... I can only guess what they say about you. No wonder your friends talk about stupid gringos.
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:

Here's a thread that deals with the same issue of small vs big.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443246

Notice in my photos how they have done the cutting and preserved the big hatch mechanicals and roof arch rib/frame. The fresh air vent is a bigger issue and I hope when I am there next to see how they worked that out. They planned to preserve the '58 vent saying to cut and reweld the '64 into the '58 donor roof would have bad results on the roof skin. I think the ID plate will have to be moved then, too, and we have discussed this. I'd welcome any helpful info or ideas on this vent matter since I have searched the Samba without any luck finding anything.

Your question about Mexico and Columbia is incoherent... could you please rephrase it so that it makes sense... then maybe I can answer it. As it appears now it just seems to be a snide remark. Excuse me if it was serious but it is hard to decipher. Plain English is easier for me.

The other statement... are you saying the bus looks like a storage shed or the place the bus is in looks like a storage shed? If you're talking about the bus I'd agree. But how it looks now is unimportant to me. I am after the results, the final product. If you are talking about the body shop it is not a storage shed but a very small space. Under roof in this location are three bays, one of which is actually their paint booth. There are two more spaces under an awning. So, they have to jockey for space. However, down the alley they have two more storage spaces that are indoors and secure including a very big dog always on duty. This is where my van was stored for about 6 weeks awaiting work. This gave more dry out time which was good for the rust. The secure storage is connected to the family house compound making it even better. Maybe I can get a photo of the body shop street view which might help here.
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepseeman wrote:
doesnt look like a mid December finish or even a bit later. good luck. will be staying tuned for the outcome of this project.

For sure. But no problem for me. This will be an around town ride for me when I get it back. I live in a very small beach town and want it to surf and sometimes camping. Meantime I have another car anyway. I go back to Tijuana again in January so if it's not ready next week - which I expect it won't be - I will get it in January or in February. There is no rush. I want them to take their time and do good work. Their experienced metal guy has to do some of their other money making fender bender work so my bus waits for his time between those jobs. The work will go faster later.
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It will be a better looking panel with the small hatch! Right? Laughing Think

I go back and forth on this all the time. I had a '60 panel with the small hatch before. I think I like those better for some reasons. On the other hand I like the big window for better visibilty. I personally think the earlier small hatch models are a bit cooler. Along a similar vein, I like the '50 Ford tudor coupe better than the '51. They look so much alike but the little differences are noticeable to me. My uncle had a '53 Oldsmobile convertible which had Cadillac rear fenders and trunk. That was a cool hybrid.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchodosrojo wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Yeah, I'd expect to hear this kind of comment coming from New Jersey. Especially one who listens to jarochos. That's how they do it. As John Wayne says, your life must be very hard. The point of my thread is to actually document an experience of getting body work in Tijuana rather than the kind of dumb stuff you posted. Where's your cojones... ask the cabrones from Veracruz.

Have you read any of the other threads about paint and body work in Tijuana? Did you get much real information from them? Any real documented experience, including photos? Or did you just click on a thread that looked interesting so you could spill your bile?

The body shop is very reputable and been in business for over 40 years. I went to them on a recommendation which came from other recommendations. I guess your Veracruz friends aren't savy enough to make it in Mexico the way the family who owns the body shop has. Which guys do you think John Wayne would side with?

In New Jersey do you get tested in school on reading comprehension? How were your grades? I see you missed the post about my son's Vanagon (above) that came out flawless including straightening, old school style, parts that seemed hopeless and produced a minor miracle. Total: $1200usd. All the finished work I have seen come out of their shop has been flawless.

You're right... they weren't working on it at the moment. It was Saturday afternoon when the photos were taken. I looked closely at the photos and was amazed at how good the cutting work has been done. I will be going there next Monday to see the van for myself. I'm sure I will be happy. I'll even report back here in spite of creeps like you. The good members of this forum might appreciate the info.

Oh, and about the work ethics of your friend's countrymen... I guess if you were as smart as John Wayne you would focus your attention on your Mexican workers who have a bad work ethic rather than my van with your stupid criticisms. It would be better if you cleaned your own house before trying to clean mine.

The one mistake I might have made is to post here about a real experience instead of opinions from a-holes like you. Everybody has an opinion about Tijuana and Mexico in general but most are like you and talking out their as**s. It's hard to understand how a guy from New Jersey could bad mouth anywhere... look where you live.

Oh, and about your jarocho friends who talk about stupid gringos... I have to laugh... I can only guess what they say about you. No wonder your friends talk about stupid gringos.

Struck a sensitive nerve there!
Let me take a wild guess here, YOU do NOT like New Jersey?
I did not criticize, Mexico, Mexicans, Tijuana, the repair shop or you. In addition I haven't a clue what a "jarocho" is but I'm guessing it is term for someone from VeraCruz?

YOU seem to have some real anger issues based upon the vile you spewed forth, it was incredible!! I mopped up the floor around my computer, it's fine now.

I was only relaying what my Native Mexican friends said, I found it interesting, sad and a tad humorous, obviously you didn't.
Maybe you have a little fear in the back of your brain that my Mexican friends may not be too far off the mark here?

Worry not, from here forth my friends and I will silently watch.

BTW, my friends came here to escape the poverty of Mexico, they are ambitious, one owns a home and they are building a good life for themselves as millions of immigrants to America have done over the years.
One wonders, why did a Gringo, such as yourself, move to Mexico or shouldn't I ask?

Since you brought up NJ, I live in the 16th Wealthiest town in the 2nd Wealthiest State. (91st wealthiest town in the USA) I really don't have it so bad here! While I am NOT wealthy I do get to live in a very nice area.

New Jersey has an undeserved bad rap in the media, not at all unlike Mexico's public reputation, I don't know enough about Mexico to know if the reputation is deserved or not.
As with all things, a few bad apples spoil the whole.

There is a LOT that is very good about this State, the local areas not far from my home rival areas like Vermont is remoteness and beauty!
The people here are friendly and open, they even stop for pedestrians!!!

If we just got rid of our corrupt government and bad spending habits we'd be a very desirable place! Hmmmmmm maybe again, not unlike Mexico?

I do think that maybe you took my signature line which has a quote from John Wayne as a personal attack?
So sorry to offend or make you angry. I'll not post here again.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sancho, any update on the body work? More pictures por favor... tambien fotos de la cumbi de tu hijo? Wink ( also pictures of the bus belonging to your son)... Very Happy
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
Sancho, any update on the body work? More pictures por favor... tambien fotos de la cumbi de tu hijo? Wink ( also pictures of the bus belonging to your son)... Very Happy

I'll be taking some photos on Monday and get an estimate on time. I hope to buy some windscreen safari windows since they took the glass out anyway and they can paint the frames to match. I'll try to get some pics from mi hijo and post them. Update next week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: