Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tijuana Mexico Body Paint Rust work - Los Ponchos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos taken today, Nov 21, 2011. Almost done... they say a week and a half. It is in the paint booth. The blue you see around the doors, etc, is finish paint in the door jams.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't they finish jambing it - front doors and hatch?
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:

I dunno... is this a legit question or one like some of the other critics?

My guess is because they haven't got there yet. The front door jambs will get painted when the cab gets painted, I'm sure. The tailgate... probably because it will be done soon since it appeared to me that the hatch was mounted on the hinges after the body jambs were painted. The updates have truly been snapshots in time, not moment by moment video taping. I can't update what hasn't happened.

It seem some here want to see problems where there are none. I see the glass half full, not half empty. It must really irk some here that their negative notions about Tijuana bodywork are getting busted. My only disappointment, if it can be called that, is the time it has taken... now about a year... but I would rather have good work than quick work. And remember, this entire job as first described (including undercarriage rust treatment) is being done for $3500. Luckily, I have more time than money.

Last edited by sanchodosrojo on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchodosrojo wrote:
volksaddict wrote:

I dunno... is this a legit question or one like some of the other critics?

legit question.

one doesn't mix a cup of paint if one is not ready to cut in all the jambs.

least i don't.
i finish each step as i hit it, never wander from point to point. i'm sure quite a few others think this way, hence the question.
i haven't seen any major negative in the past 8+months, i am pretty sure we are past that.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year since I first posted, still eager to see finished results, but VERY impressed with what I'm seeing so far. How are their welds? Are they doing sloppy work and covering up with filler, or making straight, clean, and smooth welds?
Thanks for taking the chance on this, but from what I read on other forums this isn't a big risk at all. Hell, on the HAMB they call in a tradition!
Sucks it's taking so long, though, but it's the same for here. If you want it quick, you have the pay the premium because it's difficult to get enough work restoring classics to stay in business. Do you think if you ponied up another 500 or 1K they'd be able to make a set deadline?
By the way, this guy went to the same shop (Los Ponchos) and had excellent results. He went based ON THIS TOPIC!
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-1697454.html
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 2 minutes to post this then I'm on my way to pick up my bus. It is supposed to be ready for me on Thursday... two days from now. I have some progress pics but no time to post them but they have blue paint! When I get back, and after Christmas. I will post again with results. 14 months! We have clear weather for several days and hope to avoid any rain because... we are taking my son's 1967 combi down to trade for my bus. His bus will be the third paint/body for us. We don't want to deal with rain in either direction.
engineerscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Thursday was a week ago. Were you able to pick up your bus? How does it look?
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineerscott wrote:
So, Thursday was a week ago. Were you able to pick up your bus? How does it look?

BITCHIN' !
More to follow, in order (progress fotos first), then the final product rolling out of the shop. We also did some video taping including crossing back into the USA.
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest progress photos taken a couple of weeks ago. I just want to keep the sequence somewhat in order.

sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm waiting for my son to copy photos and videos to a flash card for me then I will post fotos of the finished car as I got it. Following that probably I will post some more of the final finish. The main thrust of the thread is mainly the Tijuana body work. The 60% seat back was upholstered and I will include a photo of that, too.
wertygrog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I look forward to more pics. I'm heading to the UK for several months in early February and I'd like to drop my bus off at Los Ponchos before I go...any idea if they will be able to accommodate me? I'll be eagerly awaiting more pics! Cool Razz
smketrny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sancho, check ur pm's, please.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, can't wait to see those finished pics. Was wondering though, and this is more for paint experts I guess, why are they masking sections like that of the bus? Wouldn't they spray it all at once?
Man, I'd love to do this for the savings, but I just got my car running and I'd hate to lose it for a year while its being painted. Maybe I can throw down another $500 or so dollars over their offer to get them to guarantee me a finish date...
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smketrny wrote:
sancho, check ur pm's, please.

estuvo ya
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
Looks great, can't wait to see those finished pics. Was wondering though, and this is more for paint experts I guess, why are they masking sections like that of the bus? Wouldn't they spray it all at once?
Man, I'd love to do this for the savings, but I just got my car running and I'd hate to lose it for a year while its being painted. Maybe I can throw down another $500 or so dollars over their offer to get them to guarantee me a finish date...

First, the friend that took the photos said they told him at the time they were re-doing certain things that were'nt quite right. I am guessing that the place you see in primer/bondo or whatever are getting body repair and then the whole panel was repainted after.

I don't think most cars are to the extent mine was for metal and body and that is what really took the time. This is especially true considering the roof replacement along with rust and body repairs and treatment. It seemed there was a continuing problem of keeping a worker on the job and that may have to do with their payroll methods more than the car itself. Out in front of the body shop is a perpetual sign soliciting help wanted for experienced body men. The metal work appears to be really well done though. I am going to eventually put before and after photos of each detail from the initiation of this thread. My son's combi is with them right now. The only apparent repair needed is a dented driver's door. But they took a long time looking it over to make their estimate at $3200. They found hidden areas - prior bad body work - and to bring it back to good along with all the other prep and paint, too, is how they came up with their price. They said they learned from the experience from my bus where the weak spots in their estimates for me were and didn't want to make the same mistakes twice. We negotiated their job down to $2800 but couldn't shave it any further. The job will be well done because they honor their contracts. I believe the problem that led to mine taking so long was that the way they normally get their workers dedicated to a job is through pay. They told me they believe they under quoted me by $600 (loss). My friends who have seen the bus tell me I paid no more than half for the same in California and probably less. I have more time than money.

Your motivation of basically paying $500 as a completion bonus might be just the thing that will work for you. A good idea. Let us know how it works. My son's '67 combi is with them now and he plans to do a thread too.

Last edited by sanchodosrojo on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Finished Product Reply with quote

It is getting hard to wait and see the finished product. Pictures please!

Thanks for the thread, it is very interesting to watch the progress. Glad to see another van saved!

Here is a link to our current project, we are at the point of doing the body work and it goes really slow. Given our body was in relatively good shape I say you got a real deal! If we counted our time at .05 per hour we will have more money in it than what you were charged.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439103&highlight=noah
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchodosrojo wrote:

First, the friend that took the photos said they told him at the time they were re-doing certain things that were'nt quite right. I am guessing that the place you see in primer/bondo or whatever are getting body repair and then the whole panel was repainted after.

Thats... incredible. I can't believe a shop would do that instead of just letting it go. What a stand up place. I'm convinced. I'll definitely be going after I finish restoring the interior myself. The part of the car people will see, however, will be all them.
AirDirect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Pictures Please! Reply with quote

I have been following this thread for several months. I am anxious to see the finished product.....pictures....
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sancho, I know you're enjoying the hell out of your fresh bus, but please, man, don't leave us hanging much longer!!
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
Hey Sancho, I know you're enjoying the hell out of your fresh bus, but please, man, don't leave us hanging much longer!!

OK boys, I am finally able to share some photos that I just got. But I will lead off with this video my son made as we were taking delivery of my freshly completed bus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RorZnooHm2w
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: