Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unofficial Baywindow Cop Story Thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Unofficial Baywindow Cop Story Thread Reply with quote

I would like to hear some storied about bayewindows and cops. where, when, why, and outcome. only rule: must be in a baywindow.

Stuart

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know there is a specific forum for stories...right?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157956
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for you. I was driving home from work late, like 11:30pm, Irvine CA, and the cops pulled me over.

My registration was up in July and this was in like January, so 5 months expired, they finally caught me on account of the sticker changing color. I was having problems switching my address with the dmv, so I never got the letter, and never even noticed. Smile

Anyway, it ends up they want to search my bus, so not wanting to make any trouble, I let them. I'm sitting on the curb of a bank, the corner of Macarthur across from the airport for those that know, with the 2nd cop. The 1st cop, hilariously enough can't figure out how to get in the bus. He walks around it like 3 times. All the doors are unlocked.

"good" I think, by the 2nd time around Very Happy By the third time, I call out to him to turn the sliding door handle the other way. No idea why the rear hatch wouldn't come up for him; maybe he expected it to like pop out and open? The front doors, either, like wtf? I guess he wasn't pushing/ pulling hard enough?

Anyway my bus was just full of all this crap and parts and stuff at that time. I was kinda sweating balls the whole time, as there was actually something that I should not have had, despite that I'd told him there wasn't Wink When I checked it out, he had actually got into there. I still can't decide if he'd missed it, or if there wasn't enough to bother with, or if he was just being cool.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading south past Bridgeport on 395 after skiing at Tahoe, my camper, going uphill on a two lane section with a guardrail but no shoulder, started losing power. I was down to about 15 MP and suspected a clogged fuel fuel filter and pulled over against the guardrail, but still not a safe place. I had just got the tools and spare parts and the engine hatch open when A CHP officer pulled up and asked if I wanted to be pushed to a safer place. When we got to a wider section with a shoulder he waited while I changed the filter and he apologized for the dent to the engine hatch. He hung around until I was up and running again and I thanked him.

Been stopped for speeding a couple of times, but nothing other than a drive safely warning. I would have framed a speeding ticket for a '69 camper.

tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle is an RCMP officer, he looked at my bus and said "Cool."

The End.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pulled over for speeding.

I showed him my insurance and DL.

I was polite.

He gave me a warning.

He complimented my bus.

I went about my way.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit, sorry, decided i dont want to deal with the "respect them and they will respect you" attitude....because as I have found out, they do not. Unfortunately, a few bad cops ruin it for the rest. Thats all im going to say and I have deleted my post.

Last edited by busmania on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus is the only car I've owned that I don't have a cop story about. I guess it's a good thing. I do have a cop picture though. I was at a Father Day car show with my Dad and saw they were taking lots of interest in the bus. I snapped this from across the parking lot:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I never have anything to hide but after a recent accident I officially don't trust the fuzz.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in law enforcement. Other than a few snickers from the co-workers and an unexplainable rash of "random" drug screens. I haven't had any issues at all. I know we'll never escape the weed stigma our buses carry, but we all have to know that this is the only reason for extra scrutiny.

If you can drive, you don't need medical marijuana! I'm pretty sure that lie of a law was invented for folks to f'd to be able to drive anymore. I'm all for medical cannibus. Just put it in a pill and take out all the crap people like about it.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by busmania on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
You know there is a specific forum for stories...right?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157956

I was only wanting Bus stories, baywindow spesifically. i asked first, moderators said it was okay.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just picked up my '78 bay from the shop with a rebuilt motor, and was heading down I-5. The pass. side view mirror glass fell out somewhere along the way. I lit up a special cigarette for my driving pleasure. Just a few minutes later I saw the CHP on my tail. Then the red and blue lights. Officer actually opens the passenger door and looks around and says "I've never seen one this clean before!" then writes me a fix it ticket for the mirror. And on my way I went.
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here mine goes, i was driving my '75 deluxe westy around my town. you see in my hometown im the "best of the best" when it comes to air-cooled vws. and anyway i had my girlfriend and all of her friends in my bus at the time. and a pot necklace hanging from the rear view mirror, and the cop pulls me over and im stressing. so this cop walks up and goes "hey man, you're that vw kid i keep hearing about aren't you?" and i say yep thats me, you caught me. and he chuckled and loked my bus over and says i pulled you ovr because i wanted to check this out, man. i used to have a '73 and dude it was nothing but good times and he laughs and sees my girlfriend and her friends in the back and goes "yep i thought so, i used to have chicks in my bus all the time." and he then said keep those old vws alive man and he went his on way.To this day i still get a good laugh out of that.
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_bud wrote:
and says i pulled you ovr because i wanted to check this out, man.

That's great that he wanted to see your car, but to use his position as LEO to do it makes him a huge douche.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing good point. but since then everybodys offering me free parts and cars. at a car show an elderly man comes to my bus and goes "are you that vw kid?" and i go yes i am. and he says its crazy how a kid my age knows so much about these old vehicles. then says i have an old '72 camper in my back lot you can have, he said he used it as a hunting camp Rolling Eyes . then another time i was living with a friend my senior year in high school. again a different old man shows up and says "i take it the vw kid is here". because he saw my bus and my rabbit outside, and i was busy redoing my hex bar linkage for my dellorto 40s. and he offers to give me an '86 wolfsburg edition golf. but i was always too busy so i never took up these offers because i have already 3 vws, a '75 deluxe, a '65 EZ camper, and a '91 cabriolet the ettiene edition.
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I know we'll never escape the weed stigma our buses carry, but we all have to know that this is the only reason for extra scrutiny.

i wonder if there is a cop thread for splitties. Laughing
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there has to be more stories than this. Don't be shy everyone!
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the 80s. We were hanging out in my yellow 77 Westy and unfortunately for my friends the local police decided my bus was a bit dirty and they wanted to clean it up. For the next few hours my bus got the detailing of a lifetime...all kinds of chemicals and cotton swabs, they even wore rubber gloves (and the answer to your question is "no" Shocked ).

Heck, they were so thorough they decided to continue the job at their downtown location.

Then I grew up. Years later I had a chance encounter with the detective in charge of my bus's detailng. I approached to thank him for doing such great work and to inform him that in the inervening years I had earned a college degree and landed a very good job.

I approached and said "You probably don't remember me but..." and he interupted with "Do you still have that yellow VW bus?"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DeadheadSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I work in law enforcement.

I can tell...

Quote:

If you can drive, you don't need medical marijuana!

So you're a doctor too? How do you manage your time, I mean being both a cop and a doctor? I sure hope you're a doctor since you're telling people what medications they should and should not take.

Quote:
Just put it in a pill and take out all the crap people like about it.

Why? Why not make alcohol illegal too (seems we tried this before - about as successfully as your "drug war"). How about tobacco? Caffeine? Junk food? The list goes on... Hey, why not just make *everything* illegal (bet you'd LOVE that)? That's what 'merkin "freedom" is all about these days, right?

I'll tell you what, Dr. Officer: do the world a favor and stay out of other peoples' medical issues. For that matter, stay out of other peoples' bodies and what they choose to put in them. What I or anyone else does in their own time that harms no one is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Period.

'69 Standard Type 1 - stock, mint.
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was heading home from work driving up US1 north. I was in my 72 deluxe. It was cold and I would say not dressed to warm. I was just about half way home and happened to notice a car fly right up on my drivers side and I had happened to glance over my shoulder and it was a N.C highway patrol officer. He had a puzzled look on his face when I looked at him and he pointed down towards the gauge cluster and when I glanced down I was going 73mph in a 55mph zone! WHOOPS! We pulled up to a red light and he was still beside me and asked me through the window HEY IS THAT A VOLKSWAGEN? I replied YES SIR. He snickered and yelled back through the window I DID NOT KNOW THEY COULD GO THAT FAST, KEEP IT AT 55. The light turned green and he drove away. Needless to say, I watched my speed the rest of the way home.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: