Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 stuck in first gear
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Songman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: 73 stuck in first gear Reply with quote

I just bought a 73 Bug over the weekend and it runs great but it is stuck in first gear. This is my second Bug but I really don't know all that much about them mechanically yet. I can move the shifter and it seems to be going into the gears okay but apparently it isn't. No matter what I do with the shifter it still remains in first. I would have thought the 'feel' of going into gear at the shifter was actually caused by the trans shifting into gear. Seems to not be the case. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks.
Songman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I guess I should say that if the clutch is pushed in everything is fine and the car doesn't pull. But it doesn't actually change gears and you can't put it in neutral and let out the clutch. It stays in first gear.
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: stuck in gear Reply with quote

It sounds like maybe a hockey stick problem. It's in the nosecone, and you would have to pull the trans. to check it. Jeff
LiveJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before worrying about the hockey stick, open up the access panel on the top of the hump, under the back seat. Look in there are you should see where the shift rod connects to the transmission (at the "hockey stick") watch in there and shift through the gears and make sure its connected and moving the shaft that goes into the nose cone. I'd be willing to bet that the shift rod is disconnected or broken.

'73 Beetle
'73 Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Songman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked it out and the shift rod is connected and appears to move when I shift through the gears. So I guess that means it has to come apart. I was hoping it was something simpler but I guess I need to learn how these things work anyway. Are there any good tutorials about how to pull the transmission and fix something like this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: