Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red Generator light Flash On/off
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YellowBeetleSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Red Generator light Flash On/off Reply with quote

During a recent trip the red generator light came on for about 3 seconds and then went off. After a minute or so, it did the same and repeated until I reached my destination and shut the car off. I immediately tried to start it again after shutting it off, and it was dead. I assumed I needed a new generator since I hadn't replaced it in about 9years, and had it towed to a local air-cooled VW shop. He replaced the generator (597$) and told me my bug was ready to pick up. I picked it up after hours and drove it home only to notice that the red light was still coming on/off but it seemed to drive okay.
The next day, I drove my car to the grocery store and on the way the engine just shuttered and died in the middle of the road. I turned the key to start it again and it would turn over, but wouldn't catch and fire up. The lights all work fine, and there is a new generator..... anyone know what the problem could be?

In the ten years I've owned this car, nearly every part has been replaced including a new transmission ~8yrs ago and a new engine ~5years ago.

1972 VW Super Beetle, 1600cc DP engine.
kjvforme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the voltage regulator next. If you have a meter go with the manual and do some tests on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: