Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What parts should be modernized?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st upgrade to modernizing my bug: front disc brakes. Man, what a difference that made.

2nd thing I did: swapped out my non-rectrable seatbelts for some rectrable ones. I followed the advise here and used those HumVee belts sold way way cheaper then replacements made for old bugs. No more dangling belt getting caught on the closing door. Works so much better.

Tires? That would be a good idea but lets be honest. Most do not even change their modern cars tires every 3 years. Whether we should or not, that is a bit overkill. But thats another topic.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a safety feature, but convenience, I installed a homelink garage opener in my glovebox a few years ago:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I created this thread at the time:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6788844
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
73pinkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
Tires

If your tires are older than 3 years, change them.

If your tires are over 3 years old you really need to drive more.
73pinkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
Tires

helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73pinkbug wrote:
helowrench wrote:
Tires

Daily drive this thing, 50 miles a day for 11 years now. Average 12500 miles each year.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a couple things I can think of that could use modernizing- bumpers, seat belts, that may be it.

I learned to drive on this car. I was driving it (with learner's permit) when I was 14. And it taught me a lot of good habits about driving in general.

Oh and if you can't handle drum brakes on a bug, you shouldn't be driving a bug. In the past 3 decades I've been driving this car, I've never had a problem with them.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Oh and if you can't handle drum brakes on a bug, you shouldn't be driving a bug. In the past 3 decades I've been driving this car, I've never had a problem with them.

It's got nothing to do with being able to handle them it's that you need to be able panic stop as fast as all the modern cars around you.

Modern car brakes have improved tenfold since 3 decades ago and today's drivers have too many distractions and pay no attention to the road till its too late.
73pinkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Oh and if you can't handle drum brakes on a bug, you shouldn't be driving a bug. .
Judgmental and stupid remark there. Who are you to decide who can and can't own a bug AH?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

It's got nothing to do with being able to handle them it's that you need to be able panic stop as fast as all the modern cars around you.

Modern car brakes have improved tenfold since 3 decades ago and today's drivers have too many distractions and pay no attention to the road till its too late.

Driving a bug demands more attention than most other cars no matter what brakes you have. That includes putting yourself in a position to not have to panic stop. (There are some exceptions sure, like the time I almost hit a deer doing 50... those are exceptions.)

If you're chatting away on the cell while chomping down a sammich while tailgating a "modern" car in this car, you deserve to see your steering column in your lap or see the other side of a hedge.

You HAVE to drive this car differently, something I learned at a very young age and something I'm getting the impression lots of others did not. Give yourself 10 car lengths and/or 4-5 seconds from the car in front of you. Don't try to take a turn at 40mph. Pump the brakes when you stop (that's something I do on EVERY car I drive, because it got ingrained into my brain driving the bug at 15.)
It's pretty simple stuff--if you're relying on the fact that you've got disc brakes to get you out of a jam in this car, you're not driving it right.

1600 SP engine
mattie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sboo1 in my opinion your 100% right! I have always driven my 72sp dif from all my other modern vehicles. that's why we drive them. we all want and may need upgrades...its nice but, how much brake does it take to stop a stock bug?
My question is, my motor is out and need some help, my 1600 lost a jug from overheating, can I replace with 87 or 88mm piston and cylinders?
it's an upgrade
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkansas must have the world's most courteous drivers.

Everywhere else in the world leaving safe gaps all the other drivers just squeez into them.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

Everywhere else in the world leaving safe gaps all the other drivers just squeez into them.

It just fucking kills me when someone hangs a fastball and I lay off it..even being an Aussie I'm sure you're aware of the that folks from Arkansas cant spell 'courteous' much less understand how to act in such a manner..
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

No you're correct about that, it happens here all the time too. In my Honda I might try to do it back to them. In the bug, nothing to do but immediately start pressing the brake pedal and try to reestablish a decent distance.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Joel wrote:

It just fucking kills me when someone hangs a fastball and I lay off it..even being an Aussie I'm sure you're aware of the that folks from Arkansas cant spell 'courteous' much less understand how to act in such a manner..

looks like johnnypan had a rough day today, judge must've found in some previous customer's favor

1600 SP engine
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the garage door opener idea. Thank you; I've finally figured out what to put in the dashboard hole the PO so kindly left me. Very Happy I can't believe I looked at that gap for four years and never thought about it…

As far as the brakes go, I've never ever felt like they were lacking in tens of thousands of miles all over the country, but I know everyone has a different driving style. GOOD drums setup well and maintained have served me excellently, and I'll never change them. But I also drive many other VWs with pedals that go halfway to the floor, pull the car to the left, and grind when I hit the brake pedal… Those owners all seem to want disc brakes… Laughing

The third brake light is one of the FEW non-stock mechanical parts on my car, and it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Following and braking distance improvements in the cars behind me were instantly and noticeably safer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What parts should be modernized? Reply with quote

Lobotomy wrote:
What parts, if they break, people buy a modern version of?

I started this topic because my OG muffler is pretty much destroyed by rust. Should I get a modern one for a small HP boost and better sound deadening?
I also know that I can get a new muffler for far less than a repro VW one.

What other parts do you think need upgrading in general?

You should seek replacement parts from reputable sources, those that have a history such as Gene Berg whose motto was to build parts as good as or better than factory supplied. Reread back through some of the posts here and you'll catch them bitching about parts that don't fit or need modifications to work or are just poorly made in general. It's an easy trap to fall into and has a lot to do with shopping for price alone, this was a trend observed over forty years ago and still holds true today. Using your muffler as an example you can replace with an equivalent German part and expect years of service but you could spend more and get stainless steel which could last two or three times compared to one made of steel.

Then someone hijacked the thread into the pros and cons of drum vs. disc brakes which opens up the restomod argument but think back to why you bought a VW in the first place,was it the styling or the engineering ? I'm all for updating certain aspects to make it safer like dual circuit master cylinder which if done using correct parts becomes nearly invisible. All I can offer you as advice would be talk to those that have been driving these cars for decades, and talk to those that do their own work. Finally to Johnny you are correct everyone in Arkansas is a shoeless inbred illiterate hillbilly so please stay where you are, thanks. Very Happy
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What parts should be modernized? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Lobotomy wrote:
What parts, if they break, people buy a modern version of?

I started this topic because my OG muffler is pretty much destroyed by rust. Should I get a modern one for a small HP boost and better sound deadening?
I also know that I can get a new muffler for far less than a repro VW one.

What other parts do you think need upgrading in general?

You should seek replacement parts from reputable sources, those that have a history such as Gene Berg whose motto was to build parts as good as or better than factory supplied. Reread back through some of the posts here and you'll catch them bitching about parts that don't fit or need modifications to work or are just poorly made in general. It's an easy trap to fall into and has a lot to do with shopping for price alone, this was a trend observed over forty years ago and still holds true today. Using your muffler as an example you can replace with an equivalent German part and expect years of service but you could spend more and get stainless steel which could last two or three times compared to one made of steel.

Then someone hijacked the thread into the pros and cons of drum vs. disc brakes which opens up the restomod argument but think back to why you bought a VW in the first place,was it the styling or the engineering ? I'm all for updating certain aspects to make it safer like dual circuit master cylinder which if done using correct parts becomes nearly invisible. All I can offer you as advice would be talk to those that have been driving these cars for decades, and talk to those that do their own work. Finally to Johnny you are correct everyone in Arkansas is a shoeless inbred illiterate hillbilly so please stay where you are, thanks. Very Happy

Hey,I didnt say anything about shoes Very Happy ..since we are on topic Ive found a blend of Vw parts work best..on the '67 I have a cast iron early 50's distributor,a type 3 starter,a mid 70's alternator,mid 70's dog house cooling,full flow oil filtration,a 'will fit' multi model carb..my plan was to build a 1600 sp with the best technology offer by Vw (and others) what Ive found is that as Vw evolved they improved some things and weakened others ..
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Joel wrote:

looks like johnnypan had a rough day today, judge must've found in some previous customer's favor

I'd like to hear more about JohnnyPan's legal troubles.
You seem to know quite a bit about him.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What parts should be modernized? Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
..my plan was to build a 1600 sp with the best technology offer by Vw (and others) what Ive found is that as Vw evolved they improved some things and weakened others ..

I completely agree. As time went on, the Nordhoff era of quality was mitigated by bean counters at VW and a general cheapening of automobiles worldwide. (Oil prices gradually increasing until thes skyrocketing of '73?)

I can not think of a single thing on these cars that was "weakened" for any other reason than cost. They absolutely did improve things over time, with blanket improvements like the mvoe to fuel injection or McPhearson suspension, but they also made TINY redesigns each year that made the cars either easier to work on or more fun/pleasent to own and drive.

Quote:
Ive found a blend of Vw parts work best

I have too, though I don't have any pre-'68 parts going for me. The single port with doghouse fanshroud setup seems to be superb, though I only have a few thousand miles on it. Even on the bug I run a bus 38 amp generator with the cast iron pulley for smoother high RPM operation. Little things, you know? They're nice.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they would have been a lot better off flipping the front lower ball joints like Things have.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: