Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel being torn up on body
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eviloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Rear wheel being torn up on body Reply with quote

I've got a rather troubling problem with my 74 super. I haven't had a problem quite like this one and while I do have an idea of what it might be.....it would be nice to see if someone else may have had the same problem/solution. Here's the specifics on the car:

-74 super with IRS rear running 4-wheel discs and 17x7 boxster wheels with 235-45-17's in the rear. I've clearance the bumpstop top post to clear the wheel and have changed out 1 of the spring plate bolts to a counter-sunk allen head for tire clearance. I've lowered it 2 notches at the rear to bring it to a nice level. I still have good clearance on the bumpstop itself....but its been slightly modded to allow for some travel. Previous owner had raised the rear end to a point that you could stand on the bumper and the car's suspension would not compress. He drove it that way for a few years and was towing his ghia from time to time prior to me getting it.

The problem is that the driver's rear body mount is chewing my tire up real bad. The passenger side clears it without a problem....its just the driver's side that is doing this. On top of it the spring plate looks like its being stressed and appears to have to be bent to fit behind the control arm (almost like the control arm is inboard more than it should). I'm thinking this is the case since the axle is a pain to install and doesn't have as much "play" as the passenger's side. I could grind the body mount enough to clear the tire. But, the spring plate looks like its really stressed and I'd rather not have it fail when I start driving it.

I've changed the tires from one side to the other, swapped out the torsion arm, spring plate and today just changed out the diagonal arm with units from a 72 that are in perfect condition with no change at all. What seemed odd was that when I pulled the diagonal arm off the washers where on the outside of the bushing but were 2 difference sizes in diameter. I was thinking of placing one of the washers on the inside of the control arm to see if that'll push the arm out enough to de-stress the spring plate and fix the tire issue. I have 2 other supers (72 and 73) and have not seen this problem in either car (and my 72 had these rims/tires on it for a few years prior to changing them out....without an issue). I have changed out the bushings in both of the other cars without this problem ever surfacing.

The main question is that will relocating the washers on each side of the arm get me some clearance/de-stress the spring plate? I'm thinking if I could get the control arm to move about 3/16" to a 1/4" it'll clear and relieve the spring plate. I don't see any damage on the car that would indicate an accident so the only thing I can think of is washer placement.
wampe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the inside of the tire that is rubbing? If so, maybe a wheel with a different off-set would solve the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: