Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Splitting the case pros and cons. Type 4
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brotha bran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, I simplified it for you...

Pros to splitting the case: It's the only honest way to know that every single part of your engine is running to spec.

Cons to splitting the case: You have a Type IV. You're going to run into a number of issues including hard to find main bearings, finding a decent machine shop who is competent with ACVW's, and T4's in particular.

It's easy to split a case, so don't worry about that. Especially if you already have Wilson by your side. Your difficulty is going to be finding a decent machine shop, and you may run into shortage issues on key components (like the bearings I mentioned above).

But like others have said, it may be a waste to throw new P&C's and heads onto an unknown bottom end. You'll only end up back here later on after the engine finally dies out. This is one of those "do it once, do it right" situations. That's hard to stomach as a 16 year old who is strapped for cash, but it's the truth.
lowbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a piston melt on me . I decided to split the case and just do a complete rebuild, when i got inside i found a cracked oil pickup mount and a shredded rod bearing.... long story short SPLIT THE CASE im not 16 and not strapped for cash but there are a few things you should never skimp on and the motor is a biggie. i was 16 and broke once tho and i would just buy parts when i could afford them. keeps you from rushing thru the rebuild, when you have to take your time, you'll aprriciate it more and learn more about it, instead of rushing thru it just to get it in the bus.

Not to hijack the thread but are we talking a shortage of STD main bearings? because there are a number of venders offering .010 - .020 - .030 bearings. CIP1 and Busdepot are the two ive found.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowbay wrote:
I just had a piston melt on me . I decided to split the case and just do a complete rebuild, when i got inside i found a cracked oil pickup mount and a shredded rod bearing.... long story short SPLIT THE CASE im not 16 and not strapped for cash but there are a few things you should never skimp on and the motor is a biggie. i was 16 and broke once tho and i would just buy parts when i could afford them. keeps you from rushing thru the rebuild, when you have to take your time, you'll aprriciate it more and learn more about it, instead of rushing thru it just to get it in the bus.

Not to hijack the thread but are we talking a shortage of STD main bearings? because there are a number of venders offering .010 - .020 - .030 bearings. CIP1 and Busdepot are the two ive found.

Call Todd at RIMCO. They do most of the USA alignbores on T4's from what I understand. Maybe he can tell you where things are at with bearings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: