Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaartjeDeGroot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

Hello,
I have an issue with fixing my dashboard/cluster lights on my 1983 vanagon/transporter T3.

It started with my oil-pressure light not working anymore. And after a while also my high beam light failed to work.

After a lot of attempts of fixing it the result I get now is my high beam light is still not working and the oil pressure light is always turned on when my key is not in the ignition and turns off when I insert my key.

I only have my van for a while so I am quite new to this.
This is all the things I found only and tried already.

- I replaced alle the small lightbulbs and cleaned the cluster al together. (Make all the copper shiny again)
- Also I opened the 14 pin plug, and checked the wires if the pins where high enough to make a good connection.
- I found the state of the plastic circuitboard in excellent state. (No tears, knicks or flaws.)
- I also replaced nr 9 of the stone-fuse underneath the steering wheel.

I really hope someone can help me, I am guessing there is a connection wrong somewhere that is why the oil light already gets power while it should not get it untill the key is in the ignition.

If pictures are needed I am happy to post them.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

try the grounding trees
lower d-side footwell
MaartjeDeGroot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

Thanx,
I am not that experienced, what exactly do I need to check at the grounding trees?

Also to make myself more clear. My headlights are working it is just the “headlight is on sensor” in my dashboard that does not turn on when my lights are on.

I’m mainly concerned about the oil light that is on while no key is in the ignition.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

Maybe this will help:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Maybe this will help:

I should clarify - this is a DIY foil rewire. #4 is the blue do-hickey next to the voltage regulator on the foil which has been moved to the column on the original foil.
MaartjeDeGroot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

Thanx,
I’m trying to avoid rewiring the whole thing. First want to know where the problem is, if rewiring is the sullution I will change it, but do not think it is.
I used this as a reference

Also checked the wires in the 14 pin according to this

Also looked at the grounding trees, but cant find any loose or broken wires.
Might take a mechanic to look at it. As for me this is a needle in a haystack...
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

It seems like buying one of the kits designed to replace/upgrade the factory cluster wiring would be worth the money in terms of time/hassle saved.

I used this one and highly recommend it. Everything about it is 100% better than the foil and as it's just regular wires, easily serviceable by me.

https://www.vanagon.org/products/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit

Gowesty has an option as well.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

The ground tree is simple, its a famous place for rust, just clean it up and make sure all the connections are sound, yo dont need any wiring digram to do that
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

Do you have ground at the lower Hi-Beam terminal and 12v at the lower oil pressure terminal lights?
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon T3, Cluster repair, oil-pressure light Reply with quote

Fyi, the ground tree is right above the fuse panel on the A pillar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: