Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drivetrain noise?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: drivetrain noise? Reply with quote

Hey guys, yes I searched but not sure I was on the right track. I hear a noise when I'm going from coasting to rolling back onto the throttle. Once I'm accelerating it goes away but its a rubbing or light grinding from the back wheels or tranny. Is it a wheel bearing or am I looking at a trans problem? Oh and it's a '66.
decobugma07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue on my 66 also. Is this common?

66 Bug "Trixie"
68 Bug "Deco" (parting out)
73 Bug "Blue Angel" (RIP)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cugel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check your rear brake drum splines. I had a similar noise as yours on my '61, and eventually the rear axle of one side spun the splines out of the cheap Brazilian made brake drum. It had been making a sort of rubbing noise that eventually became an awful grinding, and finally failed at a stop sign when I tried to go again. If the brake drum(s) are wobbly or do not fit well on the axles, then that's probably the culprit.

This may not be your problem, but if it is, it's an easy fix: buy a new brake drum and install. But buy a German one!
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4! I'll check that first. Thanks for the response Smile
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's one wheel bearing or drum problem, you should be able to hear the noise change when you swerve the car side to side, or make a full rolling turn right or left.
If it doesn't change, it would be more likely in the trans.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your trans. fluid level at?
Is this your first time running the car in colder weather? I realize you are in San Diego...but it is cooler there than summer I am sure.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is new to you, you might want to check if a solid mid-mount was ever installed. My tranny was nice and quiet, until i installed a solid mid-mount. now i hear all kinds of noises including the ones you mentioned... That was 8 years ago. you never get used to it Anxious
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprø Norsk wrote:
Where is your trans. fluid level at?
Is this your first time running the car in colder weather? I realize you are in San Diego...but it is cooler there than summer I am sure.

Yeah it's not too cold here in San Diego, about 50 degrees at night, 70 something during the day. I'll check tranny fluid too.

@ j8bug: I don't believe the tranny mount is solid, I've heard they're noisy. It only makes the noise when the accelerator just starts to be pressed. I hear it most while lightly cruising in fourth.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluntlunchbox wrote:
It only makes the noise when the accelerator just starts to be pressed. I hear it most while lightly cruising in fourth.

The mainshaft bearing in the trans can make this kind of noise when it's going bad. They kind of "sing" if you will.
A wheel bearing typically makes the same general noise on accel or coast, getting louder and louder with speed.
Drain the trans oil in a spotlessly clean or new steel drain pan, and look for metal particles. Look at the drain plugs for a shards of steel. If there are none larger than say finely ground black pepper, then just re-fill and drive it.
If it gets worse, or starts to pop out of gear, then you'll have to consider a trans exchange or OH.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: