Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why you replace the rubber brake lines
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chroche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Why you replace the rubber brake lines Reply with quote

From many weeks ago when my first restore task was to go through the brakes. This is why you replace the rubber brake lines on a restoration project. Cross section of a rear rubber brake line.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Great picture!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture speaks a thousand words. Guilty as charged. Embarassed
i-cortin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

But these brake are expensive, so if you don't know when they were last replaced or the shape that they are in...

Is there a way to check them?

Don't want to just replace them if they don't need to be.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-cortin wrote:
Wow...

But these brake are expensive, so if you don't know when they were last replaced or the shape that they are in...

Is there a way to check them?

Don't want to just replace them if they don't need to be.
Shocked Shocked there's nothing expensive about VW brakes.. if "you" did not do them in the last 10 years then replace them.. its A good time to upgrade to stainless lines Very Happy
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-cortin wrote:

But these brake are expensive,

Are you joking? An aircooled VW has about the cheapest and simplest brake system of any car on the road.

If you don't know when they were last replaced, that means they are way overdue and will look just like the photo above. Replace them.
i-cortin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupin..the..3rd wrote:
i-cortin wrote:

Are you joking? An aircooled VW has about the cheapest and simplest brake system of any car on the road.

If you don't know when they were last replaced, that means they are way overdue and will look just like the photo above. Replace them.

Well when I purchased the car about 3 years ago, the PO said that the brakes had been rebuilt.

Brakes were good but I did have to replace the rear cylinders a few months ago... shoes looked good.

... and "expensive" is relative - I mean a good quality set of these rubber lines total to a bit more than $100 plus the shipping cost - that's money that if you don't have to spend you can use for something else.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-cortin wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:
i-cortin wrote:

Well when I purchased the car about 3 years ago, the PO said that the brakes had been rebuilt.

Brakes were good but I did have to replace the rear cylinders a few months ago... shoes looked good.

... and "expensive" is relative - I mean a good quality set of these rubber lines total to a bit more than $100 plus the shipping cost - that's money that if you don't have to spend you can use for something else.
Shocked Wow i don't know were you got that quote, but I can git a full set of stainless flex lines for well under $100

and never trust PO's thy are trying to sell you the car Laughing unless the have reseats..
i-cortin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vw_hank"][quote="i-cortin"]
lupin..the..3rd wrote:
Shocked Wow i don't know were you got that quote, but I can git a full set of stainless flex lines for well under $100

and never trust PO's thy are trying to sell you the car Laughing unless the have reseats..

Well Wolfsburg West German front lines are 18.80 each, rear 18.00 each, so that's $73.60 plus the shipping...

Yeah I guess I exaggerated a bit... still with the shipping it'll be near $100.

Where is it that you can stainless for under $100 ?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-cortin wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:
i-cortin wrote:

It's better to spend extra in order to be able to slow or stop the vehicle than to spend it on anything else for the vehicle.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="i-cortin"][quote="vw_hank"]
i-cortin wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:

Well Wolfsburg West German front lines are 18.80 each, rear 18.00 each, so that's $73.60 plus the shipping...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/stainless-steel-brake-hose-kits/p2012763.jcwx?filterid=c15918d14268j1
Im not A big j.c.whitney fan,, but thy are bugpack brake lines and thy are $76
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:

It's better to spend extra in order to be able to slow or stop the vehicle than to spend it on anything else for the vehicle.

yeah, front clips are not cheap, and welders charge for their labor... Laughing

GEX has. Just sayin
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Oh boy i think i found my answer to my brake problems....
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
marcodelat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:
i-cortin wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/stainless-steel-brake-hose-kits/p2012763.jcwx?filterid=c15918d14268j1
Im not A big j.c.whitney fan,, but thy are bugpack brake lines and thy are $76

Vertex in Miami http://www.vertexautoparts.com/index.aspx

... carries good quality German-made Meyle brake hoses at VERY reasonable prices - examples:

http://www.vertexautoparts.com/1975,VOLKSWAGEN,BEE...VWA080956/

http://www.vertexautoparts.com/1970,VOLKSWAGEN,BEE...VWA080953/

So, the "set" of four would total something like $38.00 - plus shipping and/or tax.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the discussion about price of brake parts in this thread.

Bakes on these old and unsafe cars are something you want to be in absolutely 100% top working order.

Money should be saved somewhere else.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
Gary wrote:

yeah, front clips are not cheap, and welders charge for their labor... Laughing

Medical bills, higher insurance premiums, and being ticketed for a mechanically unsafe vehicle are also "hidden taxes".
my quite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boble wrote:

Bakes on these old and unsafe cars are something you want to be in absolutely 100% top working order.

My car is old, but i certainly don't consider it unsafe. I wouldn't drive an unsafe vehicle.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my quite wrote:
Boble wrote:

My car is old, but i certainly don't consider it unsafe. I wouldn't drive an unsafe vehicle.

Well, not directly unsafe maybe, but compared with today's cars, well... In my new VW Golf I have an airbag in front of me. In my 72 beetle I have a gas tank...

I want those brakes to work.
i-cortin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boble wrote:
I don't understand the discussion about price of brake parts in this thread.

Money should be saved somewhere else.

didn't inted for that to happen... just wanted to know if there is any way of checking these hoses once they are removed... if there is and they prove "serviceable", well... why not keep them and maybe just "tag" for a future replacement date.

Thanks for the tip on those hoses in Miami... these people seem to have a few part for AC VWs, and yes prices seem good but they don't mention where the parts are from.

Are Meyle hoses good quality German made?
mgamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are looking at one thing that can happen with brake lines. As they age, they also can collapse on release of the brake pedal, causing a lockup of the brakes. Your car cost more than $100, so what is the big deal in spending a couple of hundred to insure that you still have a car next week, or even tomorrow? Family members and friends are usually worth more than $100, so you will certainly come out ahead replacing brake lines. If the PO told you that he rebuilt the brakes, the implication is that the car has new pads or shoes, and the rotors or drums were turned as a minimum. He may have only replaced the pads and shoes without even turning the drums and rotors. Also, there is no guarantee that the lines, calipers, master cylinder or wheel cylinders have been replaced unless there is a receipt for that. BTW, did I mention that the PO of my car told me that he put a brand new battery in the car, and he even gave me a receipt for it. When the battery died 3 months later, I pulled it out and found out that it was 5 years old. Don't necessarily believe receipts either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: