Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Vw's Magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else see this? I got my latest issue of HVW's and the Mid-America ad on the back is UPSIDE DOWN! Anyone think this was intentional?

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently canceled my scrip to hot vws the only part i really enjoyed reading is the semaphore section but its seemed to decline, what the hell is with all the sandrails and offroad shit dont they have a separate rag for that it seems to be taking over hot vws which is one of my reason for dismissing hot vws
MOCHABILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred69vert wrote:
Anybody else see this? I got my latest issue of HVW's and the Mid-America ad on the back is UPSIDE DOWN! Anyone think this was intentional?

Smile Noticed the same thing,thumbing thru a copy on the rack,nothing interested me,no sale.

Get a MID-AMERICA catalog almost every month!!! Muat spend a good deal on printing and postage!

Cheers,Bill

'07 Passat wagon 2.0

'03 Ranger 4door 4.0
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
i recently canceled my scrip to hot vws the only part i really enjoyed reading is the semaphore section but its seemed to decline, what the hell is with all the sandrails and offroad shit dont they have a separate rag for that it seems to be taking over hot vws which is one of my reason for dismissing hot vws

The name of the magazine is Dune Buggies and Hot VWs.

Sand rail and off road shit is pretty popular over here.
There is Ultra VW for the purist.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred69vert wrote:

I am sure it was intentional.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
fred69vert wrote:

I am sure it was intentional.

I believe one of the advertisers used to run the ad upside down in the other rag... they had so many folks whining about it that they actually had to print a disclaimer that it was upside down at the advertisers request...

GEX has. Just sayin
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turboblue wrote:
sub-hatchtim wrote:

im from az and raced baja for several years and am a glamis freak

but what im saying is hot vws has a rag totally committed to the offroad scene why cant they keep the off road shit there if i want to read about the san felipe 250 id grab a off road rag
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
turboblue wrote:
sub-hatchtim wrote:

im from az and raced baja for several years and am a glamis freak

but what im saying is hot vws has a rag totally committed to the offroad scene why cant they keep the off road shit there if i want to read about the san felipe 250 id grab a off road rag

Because the typical off road rags have trucks, jeeps, atv's and utv's in them.

Same as you don't want to sort though DB & HVW to get to the street stuff,
I really don't want to sort through that 4x4/atv stuff to get the sand buggy & off road articles.
I've got a 67 Bug, an off road buggy and a sand drag buggy so it covers all bases for me........ Cool

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madtat wrote:
VW Trends was good....then they started to feature water cool's
(No offence to the anti-freeze crowd) right after that it seems they went under. imo
Twisted Evil

As I recall, VW Trends used to feature water-cooled cars back in the '80s and early to mid '90s, then dropped them in the latter '90s, early 2000s. Magazine went under due to dropping ad revenue and the corporate bean-counters deeming the publication as no longer viable.

As for the upside down ad on the recent Hot VWs, my guess is shit happens sometimes. Off-road stuff may not be everyone's interest (as it is not so much mine in the least), but for me neither are 100-percent-stock cars lathered in as many period-correct accessories as possible.
Some guys can jack themselves off all day long over the rareness of this or that, but not me, so much. The point? No magazine ever makes every single reader happy with every single issue. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
As for the upside down ad on the recent Hot VWs, my guess is shit happens sometimes. Laughing

"Upside down" on back on purpose, so it looks like the cover page of Mid-America catalog.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Mid America Motorworks back cover was run upside down as per their instructions. Not a mistake. But it did, certainly get your attention didn't it?
cjjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed this, but with many big papers going to online format and printed only a few days a week it's a sign of the times. I used to just pick up the issues that were of interest to me, but without being able to browse them I sprung for the subscription. if it gets worse i'll have to get a media device of sorts in the bathroom....

remember the movie ghostbusters? Egon said print is dead....
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Feb 2011 California Look issue, I noticed there is only one car featured, red 67 Bug, that I would call Cal Look. The three very nice looking cars on the cover would be more like resto. I am not trying to down the magazine, but if you are going to put cars in the magazine with a monthly theme, they should follow that theme. Question
garyj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the point of "Cal-Look" issue has been brought up AND that I am not the only person to see this. But maybe we are the only two, Rich(?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it cuz all the bugs on the cover are from Cali? lol
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggdude67 wrote:
I just received my Feb 2011 California Look issue, I noticed there is only one car featured, red 67 Bug, that I would call Cal Look. The three very nice looking cars on the cover would be more like resto. I am not trying to down the magazine, but if you are going to put cars in the magazine with a monthly theme, they should follow that theme. Question

I agree too that the red 67 was the closed to a true Cal-looker, but even that car still had the factory trim. I don't think people build Cal-look cars anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if true Cal-look cars make a comeback since 1975 was a long time ago now.

Central Jersey VW Society
1vw maniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they will be around in year or two. Gone the way of the cd~ Rolling Eyes
lynhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too thought the Cal-look cars featured were not categorized correct. Just fine cars. I would have been offended if it was my car featured and they called it a Cal-look after doing all that hard work.

Cal-look to me is nerf bars, dechromed, Cal-look rubber, one piece windows, etc.
arod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only place to buy HotVW's around here is B&N. i stopped subscribing to HVW's 15yrs ago. if for some reason i want a HVW's, i buy it used at a vw swapmeet for a buck. only vw mag i buy is AIRMIGHTY. in a day and age where people say that rags are going by the wayside this magazine breaks ground with some outstanding pics and layouts. shows vw's from all over the world in different styles. not just 'the shiney'(HVW's sept 2007,page 6).
BTW, feb '94 HVW's 'cal-look special' has three different looking 'cal-look' vw's. none of which would fit the 'true' cal-look. mike smith's would be the 'closest' to cal-look with brm's, IDA's and a slight rake. guess things have not changed...
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arod wrote:
only place to buy HotVW's around here is B&N. i stopped subscribing to HVW's 15yrs ago. if for some reason i want a HVW's, i buy it used at a vw swapmeet for a buck. only vw mag i buy is AIRMIGHTY. in a day and age where people say that rags are going by the wayside this magazine breaks ground with some outstanding pics and layouts. shows vw's from all over the world in different styles. not just 'the shiney'(HVW's sept 2007,page 6).
BTW, feb '94 HVW's 'cal-look special' has three different looking 'cal-look' vw's. none of which would fit the 'true' cal-look. mike smith's would be the 'closest' to cal-look with brm's, IDA's and a slight rake. guess things have not changed...

Given how cheap VW people are, I'd be surprised if Airmighty sustains the U.S. market for very long.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: