Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove front seat fabric ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: How to remove front seat fabric ? Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there somebody who can tell me how to remove the front seat fabric (i need to clean them) ?

I tryied to find a post about it. I guess there is several, but i haven't find one specific about removal of the fabric.

thanks in advance !

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually done a Vanagon seat, but plenty of others. The upholstery is fastened to the frame of the seat, and also to metal rods that are molded into the foam cushions. It's held on mostly by metal "hogrings" that have to be clipped off.
Sometimes, mostly on the bottom of the seatback, you'll have plastic c-channels that grip each other, like a ziplock bag, I don't know if the van seats have these. If so, be careful separating the sides; use a small screwdriver to undo it at one end, then peel it apart.

Use a big laundromat machine to wash them, with liquid non-bleach detergent, comes out like new. Remove any metal wires prior to washing.

To re-install, use nylon zip-ties in place of the metal rings. This is SO much easier than trying to mess with the rings, and it gives you the advantage of being able to keep them somewhat loose, so you have room for your hands to install them in other areas.

Also a good time to install heated seat kits, and add padding or shore up crushed or torn foam pads.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olivelawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these instructions also apply to just removing the fabric of the "sitting" seat and not the fabric on the backrest portion? I have a little hole in my driver side seat I am considering mending up. I find tiny little pieces of foam all over the floor after a trip. Sad
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pulled them apart but i don't remember hog rings.
The back upholstery is held on by a few metal tangs that hold onto a metal rod that is in a hem at the bottom. You can fold the seat forward and you have access to them, I have pried them up carefully with a screwdriver. You have to completely remove the armests and mounts before removing the back upholstery if course.
The bottom is similar IIRC
I wouldn't go through the hassle of removing the fabric, I would get ahold of a small handheld steam cleaner or sprayed with simple green and pressure wash the seats. I have used both methods in the past with great results.
jsSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a play-by-play of my seat rebuild (with pics):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267239&highlight=jssyncro

my seats are still holding up nicely 5 years later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: