Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtylawnchair wrote:
I was daily driving my OG 60 rag, 6V, 36hp etc. But I have two young kids and the rear seat only has lap belts. Cops say they need shoulder belts and booster seats...

Anyone have any tips on installing shoulder harnes seatbelts in the rear of a 60 beetle? My kids will be in booster seats for years to come and I want to drive the beetle again.

I'm not sure on a 60 but our 65&66 the harness point was under the headliner behind the rear quarter window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
dirtylawnchair wrote:
I was daily driving my OG 60 rag, 6V, 36hp etc. But I have two young kids and the rear seat only has lap belts. Cops say they need shoulder belts and booster seats...

Anyone have any tips on installing shoulder harnes seatbelts in the rear of a 60 beetle? My kids will be in booster seats for years to come and I want to drive the beetle again.

I'm not sure on a 60 but our 65&66 the harness point was under the headliner behind the rear quarter window.

Thank you for the update. I have had the entire interior out of this car including headliner and I do not recall seeing anything like a mounting point for a seatbelt. I had to install the lap belts front and rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Going on two months straight now.

car 1966
engine 1600 Built from parts of three different engines and old NOS Nipon P&Cs

trans: it may be the original, Clarenced from the flywheel rubbing (PO fix)
tires: Nankang 165/80 R15
mpg: 30 to 35 but less during lower temps.
miles: I set the speed O back to 0 when I got it. Now it's at 4300. That plus at least 100000.
satisfaction level: love it!
wish list: seat padding, seat covers, passenger side mirror

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538786

Still going, this mourning the temp was 10° and it started fine. I've been cutting down on the short cold drives and been running it on the highway more.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63 yup every day 1641 stock everything/pertronix/header/3.88 geared trans /boomin system
fabricator john
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtylawnchair wrote:
EA812 wrote:
dirtylawnchair wrote:

Thank you for the update. I have had the entire interior out of this car including headliner and I do not recall seeing anything like a mounting point for a seatbelt. I had to install the lap belts front and rear.

Yes, a 60 bug would not have rear seat belt mounting points. They started about 64 in the US, I think.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, everyday except when there's ice on the roads. Too may hills and too many idiot drivers out there lurking, waiting to slide into my Bug!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lunchlady21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive my bug every day! I live about 7 miles from work and I'm in LA so most places like the store and laundromat are just a short drive. I take it on the freeway too and get super annoyed when people cut me off because I'm in a bug. I go 70-80 like the rest of them!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They salted the road Tuesday, so I turned around and parked it back in the garage till the salt is off the road. All that work getting rid of the rust, I am not about to do that again.

There are a couple of bigger projects I have been putting off until the salt came. Now I have a month or so to do things.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drive it even w/the salt, i just saturate the undersides, rims and hubcaps w/Fluid Film and take a bucket of hot water and wipe of the road salt from everything (but the underside - gotta wait for warmer days for that) w/a car wash towel.

I won't drive it w/ice or heavy rain - that's when sliders will get you!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunchlady21 wrote:
I drive my bug every day! I live about 7 miles from work and I'm in LA so most places like the store and laundromat are just a short drive. I take it on the freeway too and get super annoyed when people cut me off because I'm in a bug. I go 70-80 like the rest of them!!

I feel your pain. Freeway drivers are already miserable with their commutes. In San Diego they speed up to pass me 50 yards before a red light. They don't understand about taking it easy on your drum brakes and maybe rolling through without making a complete stop. I also notice some of the least courteous are often Prius drivers. Laughing
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbaucom1 wrote:
lunchlady21 wrote:

I feel your pain. Freeway drivers are already miserable with their commutes. In San Diego they speed up to pass me 50 yards before a red light. They don't understand about taking it easy on your drum brakes and maybe rolling through without making a complete stop. I also notice some of the least courteous are often Prius drivers. Laughing

Omg! I noticed the same thing with the Prius crowd. I think they are mad cause these cars have been saving fuel longer and probably get better milage in the city.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
cbaucom1 wrote:
...I also notice some of the least courteous are often Prius drivers. Laughing

Omg! I noticed the same thing with the Prius crowd. I think they are mad cause these cars have been saving fuel longer and probably get better milage in the city.

I doubt the mileage part! But our Bugs are the anti-Prius - old, carburated gasoline powered, un-burned fume-spewing monsters in their eyes... Twisted Evil If you ever read or saw "James and the Giant Peach" you'll know the feeling they must experience! Smile

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
chrismredsox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big Prius fan but I do love my wife's new Ford C-Max Energi - a driving experience much closer to European sports sedan that the golf-cart like drive that I have found Priuses to be.
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it's not just me with the Prius'. I'd hate to think that I was paranoid. The prius drivers are probably also stressed for driving a car that their buddies rag on. Even though they're hip and efficient. I'm sure a Prius is a fine car. Maybe those misguided individuals view a bug as an even weaker persons car on the freeway, like they're completing the cycle of abuse, haha.
mrkotfw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread.

1968 VW Beetle
1600cc DP
Stock
165/80R
~27 MPG if I watch myself, best 34 on a 200 mile trip (all highway)
20 miles
65%
I kind of want to sell this car

I love my car. Mechanically, it's great, but cosmetically, it's an eye sore.

inzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up with Hagerty insurance. I will be back to using this as my daily here very soon Smile

66 Bug
69 Fasty
Old school Sandrail
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="EA812"]
EA812 wrote:
Going on two months straight now.

car 1966
engine 1600 Built from parts of three different engines and old NOS Nipon P&Cs

trans: it may be the original, Clarenced from the flywheel rubbing (PO fix)
tires: Nankang 165/80 R15
mpg: 30 to 35 but less during lower temps.
miles: I set the speed O back to 0 when I got it. Now it's at 4300. That plus at least 100000.
satisfaction level: love it!
wish list: seat padding, seat covers, passenger side mirror

5 Months now and still going. Took two days off from daily use. One of them state was shut down and had to go dig out at work. The other was close to the same but the lot was too deep with snow for it. Yesterday I hit 6000 miles since bringing it back to life.

cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver and only [running] car. I've put over 6200 miles on it since June '14 when it had it's original 1300 engine overhauled.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbaucom1 wrote:
My daily driver and only [running] car. I've put over 6200 miles on it since June '14 when it had it's original 1300 engine overhauled.

How fitting there is a Prius in the background!
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5 Months now and still going. Took two days off from daily use. One of them state was shut down and had to go dig out at work. The other was close to the same but the lot was too deep with snow for it. Yesterday I hit 6000 miles since bringing it back to life.

Ha! Damn Priuses!

Good thing you got the bug in CT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcckOTVqao
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 52

Jump to: