Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
EA812 wrote:
EA812 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

car 1966
engine 1600 Built from parts of three different engines and old NOS Nipon P&Cs

trans: it may be the original, Clarenced from the flywheel rubbing (PO fix)
tires: Nankang 165/80 R15
mpg: 30 to 35 but less during lower temps.
miles: I set the speed O back to 0 when I got it. Now it's at 7200. That plus at least 100000.
satisfaction level: love it!
wish list: seat padding, seat covers, passenger side mirror

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538786

Going on 7 months now.😁 I just calculated some numbers: 127 trips to and from work, 23 trips to the gas station minus 1or 2(I didn't always keep track), 15 trips to restaurants, 34 trips shopping (not just for groceries) and 1trip to get a Christmas tree.

8 months and going for going for 9.

10 months

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1965 stock all original VW Beetle Sedan
1200 engine, Original. I turned it over twice, Over 200K
6 volts. Lady's website is at the end of this message. There are links there with original bill of sale and all the repairs the previous owner had on her since she bough her brand new. I am second owner

I bought my 1965 Stock Beetle in 1995. I bought her from an elderly woman who had no family and wanted someone to take care of her car. "Lady" came to the right person. She was transported all the way from Oceanside CA to me in Oceanside Long Island. When I moved from NY to AZ my Lady became my daily driver. She was only intended to take to shows and cruises or Sunday drives but here is AZ I had no choice because she was my only transportation to work when I moved here. I donated my daily driver to an Olds enthusiast before I moved to Az. It was a 1980 Olds Cutlass.
When I moved here in 2008 Lady's seats were perfect and she only had a few nics on the body. Now she has a dent from a fence falling on her. Nics all over and paint pitted from an ass at a car wash who used the high pressure on her. Danny's Carrousel on Bell and 3rd ave. No longer there.
She is a great car. I love her! I just bought new tires today.

http://kostopocars.webs.com/vw/lady/lady.html

Last edited by vwgirl1961a on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 1965 Stock Beetle in 1995. I bought her from an elderly woman who had no family and wanted someone to take care of her car. "Lady" came to the right person. She was transported all the way from Oceanside CA to me in Oceanside Long Island. When I moved from NY to AZ my Lady became my daily driver. She was only intended to take to shows and cruises or Sunday drives but here is AZ I had no choice because she was my only transportation to work when I moved here. I donated my daily driver to an Olds enthusiast before I moved to Az. It was a 1980 Olds Cutlass.
When I moved here in 2008 Lady's seats were perfect and she only had a few nics on the body. Now she has a dent from a fence falling on her. Nics all over and paint pitted from an ass at a car wash who used the high pressure on her. Danny's Carrousel on Bell and 3rd ave. No longer there.
She is a great car. I love her!

http://kostopocars.webs.com/vw/lady/lady.html
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my DD. It's my '69 bug and her name is Frenchy. She runs a 1600 SP and is basically stock. I will be installing some dropped spindles here soon but other than that, I just enjoy driving her with a big smile on my face.

sfizio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture is worth a thousand words.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pictures from day 312. Camping in VT. West River Westies .

Last edited by EA812 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
starplot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: 1962 commuter Reply with quote

I drive my 1962 Beetle 18 miles to work in Houston every weekday.

It has a 1600 engine in it (I didn't put it there)
165/80R15 tires (need to get some new ones soon)
I get about 25 mpg,
The odometer just rolled 45k, but I don't know how many times it's been around the block since I've only had it for 4 years myself.

This time of year I really miss air conditioning.

porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was my FIRST day to drive mine! It will be my daily from now on....

I drive about 25 miles each way, speeds between 35 and 65 mph.

She did great this morning...just a few little bugs to work out overall, but I am hooked.
zak414
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive this daily and take it on trips whenever I can.

About 50 miles in commuting five times a week. Mostly highway.

I'm getting about 23 MPG right now. I'm working on getting that up a little more!
Big Cap Distributor rebuilt by Tasb
Hotahseh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my Daily 67 Wink

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="EA812"][quote="EA812"][quote="EA812"]
EA812 wrote:

car 1966
engine 1600 Built from parts of three different engines and old NOS Nipon P&Cs

trans: it may be the original, Clarenced from the flywheel rubbing (PO fix)
tires: Nankang 165/80 R15
mpg: 30 to 35 but less during lower temps.
miles: I set the speed O back to 0 when I got it. Now it's at 7200. That plus at least 100000.
satisfaction level: love it!
wish list: seat padding, seat covers, passenger side mirror

.jpg[/img]

Not driving it as daily anymore. Finished driving for a year yesterday then drove one more day today for good measure.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I’ll be running it quite a bit still during nice weather till the snow starts to fall. No more salt for it. I’d like to redo the seat covers with period correct stuff and new padding. The Mexican blankets looked cool but don’t wear well and fray easy. I do want to paint it one day but no time line on that. It is easier and cheaper to just use it as is……

Last edited by EA812 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 61 baja/street rag. It's my only car and it goes everywhere. I've put about 7500 miles on it since I got it before the turn of the year. Was yellow and flaky when I got it, 1600sp (dual relief case, doghouse oil cooler) that I rebuilt, before driving around. 205k distributor, H30/31 carb. Just went up from a 120 main to a 127.5 due to always running a little lean, runs much better now. Getting ready to install a new front clip, fenders, stock bumper, and an airkewld 4" narrowed adjustable beam. Just need to find the time.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deathpixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathpixel wrote:
My '65 daily driver and only mode of transportation. Purchased 3/27/14 after selling my 3 year old Hyundai and it could not have been a better decision. 50th birthday (the car, not mine) in a couple weeks! I drove this car on the hottest day of summer and the coldest day of winter in Dallas, Texas. Less than 20 days that I have not driven it in the past year. Not once has it left me on the side of the road. Originally L289 Blue-white I believe with dealer-installed A/C.

1965 VW sedan w/ original popouts
1600cc as of 1/9/15 w/ shitty tiny EMPI duals >> 1641cc blew up 12/24/14
'67 or '68 stock swingaxle
155/60 front and 195/60 Kuhmo Solus on stock smoothies
30ish, not sure and don't really care
25+ daily, 16155 in the past 367 days (93882 as of today, purchased with 77727 on 3/27/14
100% satisfied, even with the crankshaft splitting in half on X-mas eve.
Long wish list, really want to bring it back to 100% stock and only cruise it occasionally. Want to pick up a '68 or later to drive daily. Dont have the heart to wreck this one, and Dallas drivers are terrible.

Today makes 18 months of ownership and daily driving. My car has recently been raised front and rear to stock ride height in addition to ditching the EMPI dual ICTs in favor of a stock carb and intake for the 1600DP. A new speedometer, wiper motor and tires soon to come. Odometer reads 99427 today and ain't going to survive long enough to roll over. Oh well, there's always next time.

A little Saturday afternoon fun at work....

Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Prolly posted here before, but living conditions changed.

I drive about 50-60 miles a week to commute, and 200-250 miles each weekend from San Berdoo to Sandy Eggo and back.

Over 30,000 miles now, and have only been left stuck one time when the ignition coil failed and I didn't have one with me. (Coils really aren't supposed to fail).

The reliability is all because of my 009 and Weber progressive carb...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

After 50-60k in two years I have gotten frustrated with the quality of ignition parts available and I am retiring my.Beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I love this thread! There are so many real cars being driven like they were supposed to!

I drive my car every day and everwhere. I only wont drive it in the snow to school because I am in highschool and kids seem to want to plain crush my car Mad . I call the road in front of my school death row because there has been about 10 crashes this (school) year that I know of Confused . I got the car when I was 13 as my first car with lawn money (800 dollars) and my dad helped with the buying of parts, like fuel line, until I got a "real" job when I was 14. After that, I was off my father's pay and free to burn my 7.25 a hour on whatever car junk I wanted! I went and got things like a new motor, exhaust, all that fun stuff Cool ! I am 16 and a junior in highschool now so I guess that I am a true yunnin on this here forum!

car - 1971 karmann ghia with OG paint

engine - 2000miles on the new 1641 dp with kadrons, 009, heaterboxes with 1 3/8 headers and dual quiet packs

trans - It has a super beetle trans (AT?) from the mid 70s. It is about 3k ish rpm on the highway when going 65mph ish using a gps speedometer app

tires/suspension - 175/55 up front and 185/65 in the rear. Rear is stock height and the front only has dropped spindles. The rims are (obviously) 4 lug sprintstars.

mpg - Dont really know. I drive the thing almost only in traffic to school in the morning and the 3 miles home. The engine almost never gets warm Sad . It gets a pathetic 17mpg... Some lights take about 3 mins to turn! I will be running a bit late to school (5 mins) hit this one durn light and be late! I bet it would be about 22 city and 30 highway if I did real length

miles - 30,000 feet per day or 6 miles Laughing . I make excuses to drive it anywhere. Ill go to a far away grocery store just to get some apples for my mother if she asked!

satisfaction level - 100!!! I love this car! People sometimes give me odd looks, but I guess that I look like some kid driving his father's $50,000 1950s porsche Laughing . It is pretty far from that! Wink

wish list - Fix all rust in the heater channels and get a thermostat mounted so the thing will actually warm up. The speedo is also off by about 8 ish when on the highway (comparing to the gps). Also, the thing runs a bit rich (see the soot on the bumper). I am thinking 50/130 for the jetting? It has 55/135 (or whatever came stock with kads).

Too much fun! Razz
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My '64 daily driven. 2276- too much fun not to daily drive her.

Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

^^^ Very nice Cool . Smoking people off the light every day, right?
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My 58 daily driver

1915 w/dual Kads
resto in progress (new interior kit started getting installed today. Rear seat don't front started... look for more in a new thread)

165R15 Rear
145R15 Front

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 52

Jump to: