Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brezelfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I took the '59 ragtop out for a good trip yesterday.

Dry weather, no frost and a visit to my father and friends in Germany where the perfect alibis Cool

About 200kms highway at 95kmh from Aarschot Belgium to Prüm in Germany, and from there we took the small rural roads to Neuerburg.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After a short visit at the ww2 cemetary there - with 900 graves of german soldiers that died mainly during the Ardennenoffensive Battle of the Bulge in december '44 - January '45 - we drove back to meet our good friends Wilma and Rüdiger from the Brezelfenstervereinigung in Prüm.

Then I made my 2,5h drive back to belgium. The VW did great!! Even the steap hill in Barchon, we managed at 70kmh in third gear!! It was a comfortable and relaxing ride, the perfect holiday trip!
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvertonguedevil wrote:
This is my DD. It's my '69 bug and her name is Frenchy. She runs a 1600 SP and is basically stock. I will be installing some dropped spindles here soon but other than that, I just enjoy driving her with a big smile on my face.

I love my '69 daily driver, not normally my style to have a later model, but this thing is fun to drive. They're comfortable to drive, huh, Greg?

silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Here's mine after spindles and some paint polishin'

Goliath67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

i drive a 1967 beetle, i have been driving it daily for about a year and a half now. It is my only car. When i bought it had the 1500cc in it that i kept in it for a year. Now it has a 1915cc which i love.

It has the og rims and i forget the tire size.

Stock trans for now.

Wish list:
Built tranz
Turbo
Sixty66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I'm driving this about 20 miles a day since last February.

1600 dp w/ Holley Progressive, 1.4 rockers, SVDA/compufire, 75amp Alt.
Stock Gearing
195/60 Rears 155/60 Fronts
Lowered a wee bit in the rear, drop spindles and lowered adj. beam up front

I'd really like a stock front beam with 195/60s up front and 205/65s in the rear
Hoping for a 1915 rebuild with some 44 idf's
No complaints other than the low front nose. I'm tired of shattering horizontal beer bottles and scraping driveways
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

"...when your daily driver isn't enough":

My daily driver No.1 (summer and winter), at least 50km every day, all original, only little rust, original paint and interior, 6 Volts:

My ex daily driver No.2 (summer only), at least 50km a day, all original, zero rust, original paint and interior, 6 Volts:

Have sold it because a new daily driver No.2 for future (summer only), all original but have to be done:

Never had another car than a VW beetle before '65 since got my drivers licence. Driving them daily with the same passion I had since the first drive...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Ganz Deutsch! Lived in Stuttguart and drove a 78 Campmobile...learned to drive correctly😳 You have a very special VW.
1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
luteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drive my '64 Herbie Beetle every day--even in the snow. It is my only car so I have no choice--but I love it. By the way--I am 41.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

VW Beetles before August 1964 are the best cars in the world, you can't do anything about it! Even if VW is going on trying to make better cars now and in future, they have to accept that they have had build the best cars 50 years ago...

... and this is why I only drive these cars. I only live now, for what should I drive a boring, ugly, modern plastic car? Every drive should be fun!
htrddave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drive mine everyday! Roughly 28 miles to and from work and picking kids up from school.

car - 1959 VW Beetle De Luxe
engine - 1963 1200cc 6v Motor (Originally replaced by VW in 63 - Documented)
trans - 4 speed manual
tires - 4 of them (not sure just got it)
mpg - Not sure just got it
miles - 41000 showing on the odometer
satisfaction level - High
wish list - Passenger side mirror, 12v conversion, better headlights

luvtheeluvbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drive this '70 dream at least 5 days a week, year round, snow, rain, heat, 4 people, roof rack loaded, etc...
This picture is old but it essentially looks the same except it now carries an original VW roof rack (which I actually use). I probably average 25 MPG with a stock, single-port engine because my commute is slow and has quite a long section of town traffic. I have a set of summer tires and a set of mud'n snow tires. I hope the future holds a grafted rag top, a radio and a tan interior.

Fahrvergnugen/ far-fair-gnu-ghen/ Description of a pleasurable sensation experienced when a car and it's driver are in mutual harmony; A unique driving experience; Pleasure; Satisfaction; A feeling experienced by Volkswagen drivers.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I'm picking up a '66 beetle tomorrow with a 1200cc motor. It will serve as my daily driver doing about 80 miles a day just going to work. Not counting other errands and weekend trips. I put about 17,000 miles on my '71 super in the last 10 months doing this commute and I have no doubts I'll rack up the same miles on the '66. But hey cars were meant to be driven. That's why the wheels are round.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

This one was until 3 days ago. NOT WORTH IT. This is bug vs prius.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

This was a nice unwelded numbers matching car. Now its parts, and not many.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

shane red wrote:

This one was until 3 days ago. NOT WORTH IT. This is bug vs prius.

On your next one put square wheels on it and park it in a glass case and ride the bus then. That's the risk you take when you drive. That could have happened on a way to a show or on the way to work. I'm not going to let my cars rot because I'm worried about getting in a wreck. That's what insurance is for. And if you're getting $500 for your wrecked car then you f'd up when choosing your insurance.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Whatever. I did my.time.behind d the wheel of a vw and i cant even count on all my fingers.toes limbs how many times i nearly escaped death because of a careless driver. Bugs are like motorcycles you cant fly off of in a wreck. Instead of having a chance to fly clear of.danger, youre almost always trapped in it.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Daily driven to me was not 10 miles to and from work. I went everywhere in this car for 5 years.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

OUCH!
I hope you were not injured.
Is this the same car that you did the longevity test in? I know it hurts now. But it looks like it can be fixed. And your right, you did take that car everywhere. That was some fun reading. You did things with that car most here would never attempt. It may feel a little discouraging atm. If you part it out, your gonna hate yourself. There are too many memories with that car to just let it go. Think it over before doing anything rash.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I drive mine every day. Have a fairly new Tacoma that hasn't been started in over two weeks. I love driving it and guess I'm playing Russian roulette.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

No, thankfully mine is ok. That belonged to some friends who were using there's daily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 52

Jump to: