Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDSIT 32/34 -2 or -3 Carb question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: PDSIT 32/34 -2 or -3 Carb question Reply with quote

Searched and didn't find any info on my question. On the electric choke there is a diaphragm with a slotted shaft. This shaft fits under the choke mechanical linkage. My question is what is the slot for as it does not touch any of the choke mechanical levers. Maybe I just don't understand the entire diaphragm.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you close the choke plate completely and pull on the shaft like the diapghram would the purpose will become clear young Jedi.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No BD, I still don't get it. Its the choke vacuum diaphragm. Held closed by a small spring. I have another carb soaking overnight so I can do some more discovery tomorrow.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocketRod wrote:
No BD, I still don't get it. Its the choke vacuum diaphragm. Held closed by a small spring. I have another carb soaking overnight so I can do some more discovery tomorrow.

It is called the "vacuum break diaphragm" and it has a very specific task. That cut-out in the shaft of the vacuum break diaphragm is to allow the choke full range of movement from closed to open. It is not supposed to touch anything. There is a "rolled pin" on the choke plate lever that sort of tucks into that cut-out.

The *only* time that the vacuum break does anything is right after start-up on cold mornings. The choke plate has to be closed on cold mornings during initial cranking right? But right after a successful start, the engine has to have air, now! The vacuum break diaphragm pulls that cut-out shaft down and trips *open* the choke a little bit. It's sole job is to prevent the choke from flooding out the engine just after start. It is important, it needs to work.
Colin
RocketRod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin. It does move freely and now I understand its operation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: