Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1933 Carrington Kit cars ? LN-33
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tac422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: 1933 Carrington Kit cars ? LN-33 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anybody have any info on these cars ?
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are kick *ss
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those are VW based?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
And those are VW based?

Pretty sure it's pretty stock VW Beetle cabrio from the bulkhead back. Screen, doors, top etc. all look VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nightmanx11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1028849
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap that's cool! And this is coming from someone who has NO interest in this genre of car.
braddieselproject
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these look very good , after looking at close up and reading , in fact the rear are VW, not bad at all, not my type , are all the front parts steel or fiberglass ?
Do they hold the street good ?
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's very cool, and somewhere in my magazine archives, I have an article about the "LN-33". Making a custom wood dash and console for this to replace the standard VW dash would be a great idea.

Braddieselproject, the front clip, fenders and rear end were fiberglass, the remainder of the VW body was metal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never have guessed that being a modified Bug body rather than a complete rebody. I'd jump on that Samba ad in a heartbeat if I had the room!
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be all over it if I had the money. This would make a great daily driver compared to the kit car I drive now, which has very little room inside and is not watertight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

34FraserNash wrote:
I'd be all over it if I had the money. This would make a great daily driver compared to the kit car I drive now, which has very little room inside and is not watertight.
sigh....ditto.
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

1964 yellow bug (girlfriends ride)
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to look through some of my stuff and see if I have any info on them. Great looking cars
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the front suspension moved forward? Looks stretched to me. I likes the looks! Classaaay!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
Is the front suspension moved forward? Looks stretched to me. I likes the looks! Classaaay!

I think it was a frame extension like the Antique & Classic Automobiles Bugatti, Frazer Nash, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar and Bentley had.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it must have sold. The ad is gone from The Samba.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I take my car to a car show, they put me in the "Replicar Class". Usually there is an Excalibur, Tiffany or other car like the ones in the first post. The owners of these cars get insulted when you call their car a "Kit Car". Actually they are. Many are built on a 1970's full size Chevy, Monty Carlo, or Ford, LTD. Some of these "Kit Cars" may have steel body panels, but most parts are fiberglass. Look closely and you can find parts of many different cars on their vehicle.
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravinsomniac wrote:
When I take my car to a car show, they put me in the "Replicar Class". Usually there is an Excalibur, Tiffany or other car like the ones in the first post. The owners of these cars get insulted when you call their car a "Kit Car". Actually they are. Many are built on a 1970's full size Chevy, Monty Carlo, or Ford, LTD. Some of these "Kit Cars" may have steel body panels, but most parts are fiberglass. Look closely and you can find parts of many different cars on their vehicle.

What kind of kit car do you have?

As for the parts you speak of, a lot of the cars you speak of (Clenet, Zimmer, Gatsby, Silvaire, the steel-bodied Duesenberg and Rolls-Royce knockoffs built in the Philippines, etc.) have Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, MG, Jaguar, Fiat, even Volkswagen and Porsche, trim pieces and often have MG or VW doors, glass and tops, if not a partial MG or Volkswagen body in the center.
tac422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP here. I suspended the ad because of the really low ball offers I was recieving, and I hopefully have a sale pending.
What do you guys think the value is on these ?
I had 4600 views , and didn't get any interest until I dropped the price significantly. I'm thinking I should have put it on Ebay.
BTW, I've always referred to it as a Kit car....

From the ad ...
A similar looking replica just sold on the Big E internet auction site for $25, 000 ! A 1930-Cord-L29-Replica Item number: 170548965773

This is a 1971 VW Superbeetle convertible (58,000 original miles)with a body kit called a "1933 Carrington" or "LN-33" based on a 1930's Dusenburg or Cord body style.
The front has been lengthened 2.5 feet by adding a factory-produced steel frame as part of the kit. A regular stock Beetle front beam is attached to this frame. A regular Bug tow bar fits the front, and it tows easily. It has a stock VW 1600 motor and standard manual trans.
This car is completely different from other body kits like the MGTD or Gazelle kit cars. It is a very solid Super Beetle convertible with original steel doors, original steel convertible body, modified top, and fiberglass hood and fenders. Solid pans and heater channels. It drove great and handled well. I have the build manual and other documentation. The kit was produced in Florida, then the company was sold to Neithken Associates in Fishersville, Va. There was only 40 some kits produced.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is worth what the buyer will pay for it.
Right now, with the economy the way it is, a lot of the people just do not have the money to put out on another toy.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Grimey,
I can see that you can remember all of those early classic 'Kit Cars" Very Happy

Mine is a more modern 'loose' copy of a 1969, Can-Am race car of a McLaren, M6GT.
I say loose, because even though the fiberglass body is a close replica of the actual car, I've customized it the that way I wanted, with the Frenched-in projection headlights, PIAA triple beam glass lens driving lamps,custom made rear wing, on and on....
The real thing I like about kit cars is, you can modify them the way you want and build them to your own taste. When you have a true "Classic Car" that's worth over $200,000 or more, you always get the nit pickers and judges that scream, "That blah, blah, blah is not original, so you get points off".

With KIT CARS, the sky is the limit !!
Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: