Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2085 cc daily driver bus motor build.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
When you said the lifter bores were wrong,
You mean they needed decked to clear the foot at full lift,
Or that they were not square to the cam bore?

What was done to them?
Sleeved?

Nice build detail shots.
I learned something!
Thanks.

P.S.
You don't like the small, 1" square plates that go under the heads?
The ones with the 4 small tabs?

The lifter bores were high, yeah they needed decked. But they werent all at the same height. Just machined them down so i had enough room.

The little tins that go in the heads are near impossible to get. The heads didnt come with them, and i dont have any sets to squeeze in there. So i dont mind not running them, cause in the last 15 years of not having them, ive never seen any adverse effects.
But yes i do like them, when i can find some.
I wonder if the new head designs have superceded the need for them? Cause all new heads dont have them. And havent for YEARS last time i looked.
hmm.... Think

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM, is this what you are looking for?:

http://www.zwerks.ca/

Bottom of the page, photo on the right.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
MM, is this what you are looking for?:

http://www.zwerks.ca/

Bottom of the page, photo on the right.

Shocked
sweet! Thanks man.

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build, damn near what im going to build. Have been going back and fourth with the Engle 120 and Web 218

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auslander wrote:
Nice build, damn near what im going to build. Have been going back and fourth with the Engle 120 and Web 218

After seeing the web 218, i was VERY unhappy with it. Its a tiny lobed rampy bastard like an engle VZ cam. I will never advise one again. Lifter boss destroyer type.
I know many are running it with no issues, but i just dislike the cams profile.
id run a web 163 or 110. Both are very similar to engle 120. though i would call first and see what the cam profile looks like. I like nice big lobes, not tiny rampy reground looking ones.
Depends on your heads for sure. Whos heads youll be running, and what cam they suggest to go with them etc.

Note to EVERYONE.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for providing the details and the excellent sharp photos! Though I'm not clear- if you used thickwall 92's which have cylinders which require engine case bores ("spigot") for 94, yet you used cylinder bore for 90.5 in the case, did you machine down the thickwall 92's bases to fit into the 90.5 spigot?
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tims heads, 40x35 i think they recommended the fk7 can't really remember, lol

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Thanks for providing the details and the excellent sharp photos! Though I'm not clear- if you used thickwall 92's which have cylinders which require engine case bores ("spigot") for 94, yet you used cylinder bore for 90.5 in the case, did you machine down the thickwall 92's bases to fit into the 90.5 spigot?

Yup, you can get the 92 thicks with the base machined down to 90.5. They came out great. Actually i think he did them at the old 92 diameter, before 90.5 and 92 were same size. Cause he specified he did the bases at 92, and i had CB do the case at 92.
90.5 was never mentioned.
but the cyls fit into the case perfect, like stock. I should have measured that.... oh well. lol. Smile
Jetting it now, just stopped up stairs for a sec. Razz

Note to EVERYONE.
ARTIFACT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you have updates on this build and how it runs etc Smile

drscope wrote:
The older car has 10 to 20 years more experiance in figuring out how to piss you off! the newer cars are still learning.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is driving it every day so it may be some time before i can get a vid of how it runs. That and i dont know how long the trans is going to last..lol
He and i both are VERY happy with it.

Note to EVERYONE.
ARTIFACT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on how things are going with the 2085?

I love the step by step photos and descriptions... Very informative for my 2074 build Smile

drscope wrote:
The older car has 10 to 20 years more experiance in figuring out how to piss you off! the newer cars are still learning.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He drives it every day. Like a madman no less. LOL.
I havent even seen it back to have a look. Did 2nd oil change and its been in use.
I need to get a video as promised.

Note to EVERYONE.
crazybaja1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Is there any updates?
It's very intresting..
87 sinca
82 sinca
70 doka
73 bug callook
71 class 11
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had lunch and i mentioned to him the other day, sheesh i need to get a vid of the singlecab motor man. I need to follow through on the thread.
Come home and there it is... bumped. lol.

Ill do my best to get some vid soon.

Note to EVERYONE.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
We just had lunch and i mentioned to him the other day, sheesh i need to get a vid of the singlecab motor man. I need to follow through on the thread.
Come home and there it is... bumped. lol.

Ill do my best to get some vid soon.

Awesome. Been wanting to see a video of this bad boy for like a year now.
offrdbus70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MM ever tried a Norris cam? I have a 407s in my 2276 bus. I started with the 120 but my head builder (Tuttle) said to try the Norris. I do like it much better. It has loads of bottom end and comes on hard at 4000 rpm. Try one!
MG
grayghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some questions about a somewhat similar combo last night, and was wondering how many mpg do you think this motor gets and how fast 1/4 mile would it run in a 62 bug with 4.12 r&p and stock ratio 1-3 with a .82 4th (26.5" tire)?

I was thinking of running the Los Panchitos heads but with single springs, but wasn't sure of what cam would work well and be easy on the valve train, and at the same time maybe squeeze out some more mpg. I will be running the dual 40 HPMX carbs.

Thanks
pigzsnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offrdbus70 wrote:
Hey MM ever tried a Norris cam? I have a 407s in my 2276 bus. I started with the 120 but my head builder (Tuttle) said to try the Norris. I do like it much better. It has loads of bottom end and comes on hard at 4000 rpm. Try one!
MG

Im kind of waiting MM to respond to this. Im using this thread as an exact template for my motor build. I know he built this motor for a bus and mine is going in a vert but im intersdted to know if he or his customer are completely satisfied with the cam selection or if they have a recommendation to go another route.I have a feeling that the w120 is selected by default in a lot of cases but other manufacfurers like web-cam are somewhat less known but have more state-of-the-art engineering into their cam grinds.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigzsnout wrote:
offrdbus70 wrote:
MG

Im kind of waiting MM to respond to this. Im using this thread as an exact template for my motor build. I know he built this motor for a bus and mine is going in a vert but im intersdted to know if he or his customer are completely satisfied with the cam selection or if they have a recommendation to go another route.I have a feeling that the w120 is selected by default in a lot of cases but other manufacfurers like web-cam are somewhat less known but have more state-of-the-art engineering into their cam grinds.

The 407S seems better because if has a few degrees less duration than the W120, so the powerband happens a little lower in the rpm range (where we do most of our driving). For a heavy vehicle like a bus it's extremely beneficial, but in a lighter bug it can be not as important. It all depends on where you want the powerband.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with single springs just put a W110 in it and worry about other stuff.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: