Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW v6, vw 4, or subaru EJ22 swap for vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Easiest Vanagon Engine Swap?
1999 VR6
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
1996 EJ22
84%
 84%  [ 21 ]
2000 VW 4cyl.
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

Beygon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put a Porsche in it, keep aircooled and keep it German.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beygon wrote:
Why not put a Porsche in it, keep aircooled and keep it German.

With the typical used 3.2 liter Porsche 911 engine going for $5500-$7000, and no conversion parts available, that one might be hard to justify. It sure would sound amazing though.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the day when I worked on Capitol Hill in Seattle, Akers Porsche had a really tricked out Vanagon with P-power as their shop turd. It was a sweet looking ride, and I can only imagine what drove and sounded like.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Way back in the day when I worked on Capitol Hill in Seattle, Akers Porsche had a really tricked out Vanagon with P-power as their shop turd. It was a sweet looking ride, and I can only imagine what drove and sounded like.

Yeah, I remember hearing about Denny Akers Vanagon. People would always tell me about it, but I never saw it. Do you remember what it looked like?

I do remember seeing a silver Vanagon running 16" Porsche 911 Fuchs wheels in about 1988. It pulled up at Campbell Nelson Auto Wrecking on Aurora to pick up some parts. When I described it to someone later on, they said it was probably Denny Akers van. Think this was it?

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beygon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few around here and you wouldn't need the 3.2, you could go with an earlier engine. There is a yellow 82 running around here with an early motor and a 76 running around with a 3.2, I have pictures but can't post them.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yeah, I remember hearing about Denny Akers Vanagon. People would always tell me about it, but I never saw it. Do you remember what it looked like?

I do remember seeing a silver Vanagon running 16" Porsche 911 Fuchs wheels in about 1988. It pulled up at Campbell Nelson Auto Wrecking on Aurora to pick up some parts. When I described it to someone later on, they said it was probably Denny Akers van. Think this was it?

David

Yeah, that seems to fit my recollection; it was either silver or a light silver blue. I don't think it was a stock color.

Another way back story... Campbell Nelson used to allow folks to wander around unaccompanied, which was like being released into Charlie's freakin' Chocolate Factory. One day I was back there droolin' on the goods and a customer drives into the yard in his '76 912E Targa. He hops out and hands the staff a receipt and says he's there to pick up a complete 1600 upright engine. They were understandably nervous, but he was adamant...so, they indeed stuffed that thing into the back seat. Fit like a glove

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this photo of it on the net. It looks like the van I remember. I read elsewhere that it did indeed roll on 16" Porsche Fuchs. I remember being impressed by how clean and understated it was. I like the way he raised the cargo floor by adding a second floor from a donor van. I hadn't thought about that van for years till you mentioned it. I wonder if he still has it.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r119/cwalton83/356%20Bull%20Session/Picture058.jpg
silverbulletuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK (and in Europe) there are more and more people going for the inline 4's with the EA 827 "architecture"
I'm planning to fit a 2.0 Sharan ADY motor in my Syncro at 20 degrees(as it sits in the Sharan), using an adaptor plate and self-made mounting bar etc. I understand the Sharans were never imported to the US, but did go to Japan and are now being exported to South Africa to replace WBX's.
The SIMOS engine management is no longer a barrier to conversion!
I have a 1990 Microbus with an EJ22 too, but it hasn't been exactly trouble free and I do wonder about the long-term spare parts supply...not an issue with VW by and large. I hope to swap this for a 5 cyl charge-cooled turbo in the future, along with other things...
The Subaru isn't perfect in the T3, but parts from either smallcar or rjes do seem to reasonably address the installation problems, albeit in different ways.
magician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

David

I saw it close up ... although it has been quite a few years ago (dropped my brother off to pickup his 944 that was having some repairs done). It was a 911 turbo engine, had Fuchs alloy wheels and a Carrera dash pod.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

David

I've seen that van at the vintage races at SIR quite a few times. They tow their Porsche 356 and trailer with it!

There used to be a guy who towed his Lotus with his EJ22 powered Syncro Westy too but the best tow van is run by the guys from Emory Motorsports in Bend, Oregon. http://www.emorymotorsports.com/

They flat tow their 356 up to Portland and SIR with a circa 1960 Crew Cab Split Window Pickup with a whole 911 rear suspension/engine/transaxle clip installed under the bed and front brakes to match! The work is beautifully done and its painted in that light industrial grey.

It must really freak out your average Corvette driver to have a 50 year old VeeDub towing a 50 year old race car flash past in the left hand lane! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverbulletuk wrote:
The Subaru isn't perfect in the T3, but parts from either smallcar or rjes do seem to reasonably address the installation problems, albeit in different ways.

Although the Subaru is not the VW parts bin bolt in many VAG products are, no engine is "perfect."

(Too many of us, the Subaru flat four layout so closely mimics the original wbx idea that it seems to belong in there. Some conversions fit and look better than others.)

What does not met your expectations in reference to the Subaru?

Or how are the VAG products so much more better?

(FYI: We all tend to work with what we know and have readily available. We have Subarus coming out our ears, so to speak, and on the other side of the pond you have more and varied VAG products than you know what to do with too and we don't.)

Sorry, this just begs the question and, yet again, we go on a sort of off topic tangent. Sorry about that....."stuff happens!"

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: