Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Beetle heater hose routing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurgBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: 1962 Beetle heater hose routing Reply with quote

Is there any member that could send me a picture of the heater hose routing that is under the rear seat of a 1962 bug?
My bugs heater is great working but has never had the hoses routed to the foot panel openings, would like to do it but don't know exactly how it hooks up.
Thanks so much

Last edited by BurgBug on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the outlets on the kick panel round, or narrow and oblong?

Do a search in the forum. I know there is a good picture of the oblong type.

Geoff
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: '62 heater Hose Routing Reply with quote

The kick panel opening is oblong. 1962 only. I don't have a photo of the hose routing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great pic but hopefully it will help, from the August 1961 Owner's Manual. Looks like one hose coming from the heater tube, into a "Y" or "T" connection which splits the flow to the two outlets:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62 only plus early 63, had the oval shaped heater outlets. The supply was from the passenger side and split to both ovals by way of corrugated hose attached to the seat brace. Each outlet had a oval metal ring welded to the floor for support. Needless to say it wasn't a very efficient system.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Each outlet had an oval metal ring welded to the floor for support.

Update: turns out I'm not missing those rings. I took a good look tonight and took some pics and posted them to the gallery.

The problem with this setup is that it cuts down a lot on the heat coming out the right front heat outlets.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: '62 Beetle Heater Hose Routing Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Quote:
but not those oblong metal support rings.

I'm missing the same parts. There is a part welded to the pan on both sides that looks like something clips on them, but could be wrong. Long time since I've examined it. My rear heat is sealed off from the main tube. Fortunately I can manage fine here in Texas with front heat only. Would be nice to have the rear complete, but gave up long ago looking for parts.

Lou
BurgBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks everybody! Reply with quote

I'm glad I stirred something up that hasn't been thought about for a while it seems.
I have the oblong kick-plates as well as the oblong metal braces welded to the pans. No hoses and it looks like I'm also missing what looks like some sort of gasket set-up that connects to the kick-plates and the braces that secures them all together.
Just started myself a new treasure hunt!
Thanks again and if there are any other pictures out there of a clean original set-up I'd still like to see others.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1963 Canadian standard I dismantled had a very rusty oblong metal piece. it didn't look like it would be to hard to make.

Geoff
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 62 still has all the original untouched heater stuff….the paper hose comes from the passenger side as mentioned and has a metal Y connector that goes in line to split it to the right side. The right side hose is held in place along the way over by metal strips spot welded to the seat bottom cross support bar.
The paper hoses are pinched down and angle cut to create the fitment to the small oval brackets on the floor pan. If you look at these brackets, you'll see a small metal tab that kinda helps hold the hose into these brackets…friction fit.
This is a very low tech attempt at rear heater outlets, but it really does work and I still have good heat to the right side of the defroster.
I am running a complete stock 1600 DP, so I imagine I get a few more CFM with this set up…my car will roast you out and keep the windows clear.
I don't have pix and my camera needs charged, but I can try to get some pix tomorrow if you still need them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: '62 Heater Hose Reply with quote

Jeff Pro Wrote:
Quote:
looks like I'm also missing what looks like some sort of gasket set-up that connects to the kick-plates and the braces that secures them all together

That would be a felt type gasket. Strangely I have those. Good hunting. Let us know if you find a stash somewhere of anything.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: '62 Heater Hose Reply with quote

anthracitedub,

Good explanation.

Photos would be appreciated if you get a chance. Good looking '62 and the color is one of the all time favorites.
BurgBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anthracitedub,
You do have a very nice car there, my heater works great too with the stock 1200cc. Would love to get the rear hoses hooked up, just because. I tell everyone that asks if my heater works that it's like driving around in a lobster pot!
If you have the chance and feel like doing everyone a favor, pictures would be cool.
Thanks again everyone for the input and i'll keep you posted on how the treasure hunt goes.

Jeff
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in my Bentley factory manual reprint but could not find any pictures of the '62 specific set up.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing And the 67 guys think they are the only cars with one year only hard to find parts. VW had many..... many 1 year only parts.
The rings can be made. They are sheet metal rings, nothing too special.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: '62 Heater Hose Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT:
Quote:
The rings can be made

That would be good. Who's original do we use for a model? My paypal is ready.

Thanks
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? What's it worth to you? 10 bucks shipped is not going to buy one that's made.
There is simply not enough demand to mass produce the 62 rear heater rings. It's like the 67 guys whine about all the time. Make it, buy one used, or do without. Due to the fact that most rings went straight through the floor along with the battery and pan sections, finding a decent used original pattern on a junk parts car may be an issue.
Usually and often edited
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: '62 Heater Hose Reply with quote

Who said anything about $ 10 bucks? There is no big market here so mass production is not needed. What do you think it would cost to make a few and ship with profit determined by the fabricator? Reasonable high cost is expected.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to offend, but you know most chepo VW people. Most want an OEM NOS part for 10 bucks shipped. It is a way WAY different senario than buying and selling parts for truly one year only non cookie cutter cross over year cars.
Its really not the material its the labor. Custom made from steel, with no original template, using hand tools and welder, not less than a $100 in my book. I'm more about functional than a perfect original copy. The originals were not too good to start, with 3 plastic connectors, that deteriorated over time. The rings are merely for tubing and trim bezel support, nothing more.

Arrow One thing I dont remember, did these have a valve inside the ring to be able to adjust flow. My 62's were in poor condition so I just deleted the rear floor heat.
Usually and often edited
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: '62 Heater Hose Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT:
Quote:
Not trying to offend, but you know most chepo VW people. Most want an OEM NOS part for 10 bucks shipped.

OK, See your point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: