Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx Style Dune Buggy Build (Litha Mark III)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RangerBEH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your build is really looking great. I am looking at a project with the same body and i really think the body looks much better than the manx ones. I though of doing something to make the grill look more functional. If I get one I hope it looks half as nice. Your posts gave me some great ideas.... Cant wait to see the next project! Very Happy
ElijahTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but did the PO by any chance tell you about what year he had bought the body in GA?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the body from a guy in The Plains Ohio, near Athens Ohio where Ohio University is located, (Not OSU, but OU) in about 2006. It was uncut, un drilled.

That guy builds VW trykes with narrowed rear arms that are lengthened, (makes them much more stable than the 70's style) with automatic transaxles in them for handicapped Vetern's.

He had told me he was delivering a tryke to a guy in GA and spotted this body for sale, bought it to bring back home to build a buggy with. He told me he had it about 4 to 5 years. So, about 2000 to 2001 time span when he bought the body in GA.

As a side note, since David completed this buggy early fall last year, he has put over 1200 miles on it and is looking forward for weather to break to run it a lot more.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ElijahTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was just curious about possible manufacture year. I've got a lithia springs Mark III body too, but the dash is slightly different from this one. I've also seen another one that looks like a progression in dash design somewhere between what mine looks like & what that one looks like. I know the body I have was manufactured pre-1970 as that is when the buggy was originally built & titled in CA. Since there is very little info out there on them, it got me curious as to how much they changed it through out the production years.
I thought it was interesting that my hood was cracked in the exact same spot as his too. It's the only place on the entire body with thin fiberglass.
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David and Joe,
Good to see that the buggy is finished, up and running. Mine is, as promised, going really slow Wink
Hope to see your buggy one of these days!!!
Upali
Hacksaw44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking build !!
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btonns wrote:
Go with Del Swift mirrors. Some of the early Imp kits came with them. You can even use them as a radio antennae because they have threaded ends for co-axial cable.

I believe they still sell Del Swift mirrors brand new or keep your eye out on eBay. I bought a spare mirror last winter for $12 on eBay.

In the Empi manual, they want you to mount the mirror on the top of the fender similar to a Datsun Z. I have heard horror stories that if you do not add supports under the fender that they can get stress cracks. I mounted mine on the side of the hood and I think it looks better anyways.

Do you mean the front fenders in general? or only if you mount the mirrors up there? I have an imp project and i'm worried about the fenders being flimsy
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are going for perfect, period correct, the closer the mirror is to you, the better (read safer) it will work. The further away from your eyes, the smaller the viewing area behind you. Fender mirrors are good for looks and that is about it.

Also, a mirror mounted low on the hood edge may only show you the top of the rear fender. To be useful, they need to be up high enough to see over the rear fender. That is why most modern built buggy's mount the mirror off the windshield frame.

eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah i gotcha, i was confused, it sounded like they were being mounted on the actual fenders which i thought was weird
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Fender mirrors are good for looks and that is about it.

Unfortunately, I must disagree with this statement, but with a few caveats. I run lollipop mirrors on the windshield frame but they must be removed when I put the doors on. Therefore, I need that fender mirror. Is it perfect? No, but its better than nothing when its hailing, monsooning and sandstorming. Shocked

The drivers side one is fine, but I haven't seen a need for the passenger side for the very reason Joe explains...its too far and too small to be much help at all. (I think I'm channeling my inner Seuss!)

So, fender mirror? Drivers side one is better than nothing and they look cool too IMHO. Laughing

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a great build log !
old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvbowtieman wrote:
Have not got as much done on my buggy the last couple of weeks as I wanted but I have done a lot of small things to get closer to completion.

Installed my 1958 Chevrolet tail lights with LED lenses.

Completed my wiring looms under the body and I am ready to pull wires from the front to the rear.

Got my GPS speedometer/Fuel gauge from Speedhut.com. Drilled out and cut all the holes for my oil pressure, oil temperature, voltage gauges. Installed the light switch.
Installed the horn button.
Alternator/idiot light.
Oil pressure idiot light.
Turn signal toggle switch.
Ignition switch.
12 volt marine power supply socket.

Now that I have everything cut out on the dash I can finish up the FG work on the Hood/Dash. Hopefully lay down some paint next weekend.
Yes... I know the steering wheel does not match the paint. I will look for a silver metal flake or maybe just a classic black steering wheel.

Nice Ride !!! I see you have Speedhut oil pressure gauge w/idiot oil light. Question I have is how did you wire both to the engine? I to have Speedhut oil gauge and the sending unit they sent has terminal G for ground and S for signal.

Hoping to hook S up to pressure gauge then G to light. Before installing I call tech at Speedhut and he said no. The G was a ground for the oil sending switch.

Still in question as to that was right I put it on my other buggy and sure enough the G did not break ground when I crank it up at 1500 rpm.

Did you use a tee or find some place else to install the second unit?

Thanks for any help.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David used a Tee fitting into the block and used the supplied gauge sender and the stock idiot light sender. The "G" is run to a ground, and the "S" goes to the gauge. That sender works by varying the ground strength, (resistance) for the gauge as pressure changes.

old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
David used a Tee fitting into the block and used the supplied gauge sender and the stock idiot light sender. The "G" is run to a ground, and the "S" goes to the gauge. That sender works by varying the ground strength, (resistance) for the gauge as pressure changes.
By chance do you have any pictures of set up with T? Is the T metric or ase . Thanks for any advice
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have pictures of the Tee fitting. Buggy is gone, sold, and another being built.

I memory serves, it was metric thread from one of the major VW parts houses.

old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying to keep engine area neat. Is it possibly to tap the external oil filter adapter ?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old jersey wrote:
Just trying to keep engine area neat. Is it possibly to tap the external oil filter adapter ?

On my Manx, it is a full flow 2165 cc engine and coming off of the oil filter I have a steel coupling I drilled and tapped for both pressure and fuel pump dead man switch. It is a simple looking steel pipe with female internal threads and I drilled it, tapped with 1/8 pipe thread and that's it. Hidden and protected. All my block has is the original idiot light sender screwed in.

old jersey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I wou like to do. Don't won't a lot of clutter to see. Plan on mounting adp up around shroud. Do you have pictures.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This first picture is of when I was putting it together. You can see the filter mounting. The left most line is the oil feed coming out of the oil pump and into the filter. As the oil exits the filter, it passed through a close nipple then into the female coupling that I tapped for the oil pressure sender and the fuel pump dead man switch. (the fuel pump switch is a NO, normally open, switch that closes and makes ground at 5 PSI, which completes the circuit and allows the electrical pump to operate).

After the filter, the oil wraps around under filter and into a 96 plate Mesa style oil cooler with a fan on top. As it exits the cooler on the right side by the transaxle, it hits a Tee fitting that has a Oil Temp sender so I know the temp of the oil after the external cooler. After the Tee with the temp sender, the oil 90's and runs through a thermo switch that will turn the fan on/off at 185 degrees F. Then routes back to the engine.

So, I know oil temp before it goes back into the block, (which I still have the dog house cooler in place and running a Type 181 fan shroud). With the engine installed, almost all of this is hidden.

This system has worked flawlessly for me for over 10,000 miles. Across the US and back home, then to the OBX and back home. Crossed Death Valley at 122* F and the Mohave Desert at 130* F, a off road run while in SoCal, and plenty of mud running at home in West Virginia.

Hope this helps a little.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: