Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind...I can't say the bustedbvr's hazard switch looks too reliable.. I'd rather have a photo of one that is known to work. Lol. Cool
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bansheelos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
If you don't mind...I can't say the bustedbvr's hazard switch looks too reliable.. I'd rather have a photo of one that is known to work. Lol. Cool

Gotta say that hazard switch was more reliable than the new one I purchased! Your bus looks good! Keep up the good work!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, sometimes you just can't beat OG, Bansheelos. Thanks man! Same to you. I'm sure you've heard it all before, but the fabrication work and time you're putting into that swap is impressive. Can't wait to see it peeling ass down the street!!

Champagnes unite!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may if this does not work. I am 10 minutes away from taking my upper dash off and my cluster out. Wink

I appreciate your support as always, Stuart!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my hazard switch wires are in the correct place, verified with the photos I showed above, and the diagram- I think.

I snapped a couple of pics, although the one worth looking at is shit quality. sorry.

So now I'm down to tracing each wire from the switch to its next destination.

This will be fun Twisted Evil
after peeling apart my instrument cluster, top view of hazard switch:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And these are my temporary front seats, the champagne ones were just too painful to sit in for long periods. They aren't bus, but idk what they were originally in:

One day that will be clean and comfortable for my passengers. Embarassed

Too dark to get to the horn today. Hazards, horn, and a pass. side mirror are all I want to feel a hair safer when driving daily. If it does break down in traffic again, I want hazards to work, damnit!!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Bansheelos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Lol, sometimes you just can't beat OG, Bansheelos. Thanks man! Same to you. I'm sure you've heard it all before, but the fabrication work and time you're putting into that swap is impressive. Can't wait to see it peeling ass down the street!!

Champagnes unite!

Tell me about it. I bought a new hazard and light switch in hopes they would work. Nope both of the original switches are in there and work fine. Thanks man. I am starting to see the light at the tunnel! Champagnes united we stand lol
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. this switch was brand new about a year ago, installed after I corrected windshield leaks.

Right now, the knob doesn't light up, I pull it and the door buzzer goes off, and the turn signal indicator on the dash stays lit. It's kinda funny.

it's all in the wiring...
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this today, I thought it was funny. My first time trying out image editing software. It's sloppy Very Happy

1970 Auto Fastback FI
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
........ I pull it and the door buzzer goes off...

The flasher relay makes a very similar sound when one of the lights it controls are dead shorted, be careful.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the warning, bd. If I hold my ear up to the flasher relay, will I hear the nasty sound coming straight from it? Where the heck is the device that makes the door buzzer sound? I guess I have an afternoon of research ahead of me.

When I got my bus, someone had very sloppily wired in a radio to the big, red, fat power wire. It was a rat's nest, as they usually happen to be.

I assume that tracing each wire and making sure its going to the right place is the necessary first step. I assume I'll need to check all the grounds and make sure they're tight and clean. I also assume I'll have to get a visual on all wires, and make sure none are worn out and exposed.

From there its just squinting at wiring diagrams! I have poor eyesight.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door buzzer is plugged into the bottom of the fuse box if i remember right. It should be the one with holes in the bottom of it.

Those seats look like early (aircooled) vanagon.

check your grounds, there is a few ground connections on the fresh air housing that tend to fall off.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. I have a few pretty good ideas of what to look for now Smile
1970 Auto Fastback FI
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went thru this on a 75 i had. Neither the hazards or turns would work but the hazard would turn on solid with no blink and a turns would turn on but not blink. I just wiggled the flasher relay under the fuse box and they came back. Seat and unseat a couple times and see if it does anything.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good idea, but my turn signals work fine, the flasher relay is brand spankin' new. The turn signals both blink and click at the same rate, all the bulbs light up, all the grounds for the lights have been looked at and cleaned up, it's all good.

I will unplug it and plug it back in a few times, but I suspect this may be isolated to the switch itself.

Thanks man!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Current mood: :( Reply with quote

Flasher relay was making the noise- unplugged and re-plugged and no change, hazards still don't work at all- all turns and other lights work fine.

In other news: I had a hell of a weekend. Thursday was the clubs third thursday cruise, and everyone backed out at last minute. So I went a decent 7-10 mile drive with a buddy to give his newest rebuild a maiden voyage. We went all over and my bus performed well. I was ecstatic to drive the streets I know so well at night.

Friday I took my bus to work in the morning. It drove perfectly fine the night before, so why not, right? Well, I lost power on the way home and had to pull over in a neighborhood on the way. After much running around, we deduced my battery ist kaputt. After borrowing a battery from a buddy's car I was able to start it just fine, but I can tell by the way it's idling, I have a massive intake leak again. Must have buggered something up. No power, and 3 miles to go til home, most of it uphill. Took me 2 hours to go that last 3 miles, with my buddy in his 67 camper behind me all the way. At one point, he got out of his bus and physically pushed my bus across a main busy street while I limped it across. So basically I gotta f*ckin start all over on it.

Saturday- the VW club of Tulsa show happened, and I was heartbroken that my bus couldn't make the trip Sad I rode along, and had a great time anyway. Met the best and the worst kind of vw folks. I also went to a pick and pull junkyard and found a 72 bay! I got some things out of it, which I described in detail in the good deals sticky.

I am now in the midst of prioritizing all the extra parts I have, hopefully picking up a spare 2.0 from an early vanagon with intact F.I. for cheap, and cleaning up and restoring my original 2.0 FI. It was nice to drive the bus this year, but I'm so fed up. I'm ready for the huge I told you so, but I don't want to rock these carbs anymore. I want to shit in them and throw them in the Arkansas river. Hopefully I get some pictures up from the show. Here's the junker 72 I found.

More pictures to come!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. My CE Westy is kicking my ass too. Im decent with the FI and the FI is awesome when it works right.

Mine sounds like a tractor when idling and wont accelerate for shit.

I swapped plugs, AFM, distributor, double relay, fixed vacuum leaks etc.

Mine revs good but has no power driving its like going 1st right fourth gear when going into second.

Those old Solex carbs are a pain to get right and they were designed for the 1700 and 1800 and will never be right on yours unless you rejet and rebuild them. Alot of people dont like the weber 2bbl but its the easiest to get a bus running on.

I understand the frustration i was hoping to drive mine alittle before winter.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonychavalia wrote:
That sucks. My CE Westy is kicking my ass too. Im decent with the FI and the FI is awesome when it works right.

Mine sounds like a tractor when idling and wont accelerate for shit.

I swapped plugs, AFM, distributor, double relay, fixed vacuum leaks etc.

Mine revs good but has no power driving its like going 1st right fourth gear when going into second.

Those old Solex carbs are a pain to get right and they were designed for the 1700 and 1800 and will never be right on yours unless you rejet and rebuild them. Alot of people dont like the weber 2bbl but its the easiest to get a bus running on.

I understand the frustration i was hoping to drive mine alittle before winter.

check your plug wires order...somethings not right there. done that myself more then once...just check it to humor me. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill try anything. I was getting ready to start a thread. Ive had about 10 of these buses over 20 years but this one has got me baffled. Most of mine had the 2bbl weber thou, only my second FI bus.

Mine idles ok but doesnt feel like it is advancing right. Ive tried all the Ratwell and Internerat tricks.

I need to check the valves but everything else seems good. I didnt check the plug order as the PO claimed it was running fine before a double relay failure.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonychavalia wrote:
Ill try anything. I was getting ready to start a thread. Ive had about 10 of these buses over 20 years but this one has got me baffled. Most of mine had the 2bbl weber thou, only my second FI bus.

Mine idles ok but doesnt feel like it is advancing right. Ive tried all the Ratwell and Internerat tricks.

I need to check the valves but everything else seems good. I didnt check the plug order as the PO claimed it was running fine before a double relay failure.

PM me.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck man. I'm just going to start at square one again. I really wanted to drive mine some more this fall Crying or Very sad
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 55

Jump to: