Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: I need some advice Reply with quote

Ok dudes + dudettes, I need some advice

The front door lock + latch mechanisms are cleaned, greased, reinstalled, and function very smoothly, like new!

The deck lid catch was removed, cleaned out, and packed with grease, functions very easily now, (no sticking, major bonus)

The rear luggage area hatch never had any problems, unlocks and locks very easily, so I just put a dab of white lithium grease on the key and slid it in and out of the lock a few times. Works great.

It's time to address an issue with my slider door.
The front catch (with the interior and exterior handle, lock, cylinder, etc.) has seen quite a bit of damage. A buddy of mine was driving my bay around the yard with the slider open several months ago. He hit the brakes and the door rushed forward and slammed shut. Afterward, the interior lock will not engage and LOCK the door. It only slides down about 1/3 of the way.

I'm not really into splitting the lock mechanism, drilling rivets, etc. to fix this. It's been slammed the wrong way many times (before and during my ownership Embarassed ) and I'm not opposed to replacing it outright. But I want your opinion. Can I split the mechanism easily and correct what's making this not lock? Or would it be simpler to purchase a good used one and swap my lock cylinder over to it?

I can't find any photos of the front lock mechanism split apart, nor a thread that details this type of repair, if its even possible. I just wanna keep the looneys in the hood out of my bus!

Thanks to you for your time, I hope to have a more exciting update soon.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lists + pricing! Reply with quote

I decided to just go with a good used one from the bus company.^

ENGINE WORK:

-have the crank, flywheel and rods balanced ~$170
-have case mic'd $freebie
-Have case halves, tins, certain metal FI bits, oil cooler, other engine parts run through the parts washer
-Wash fan shroud, heater boxes at car wash
$40

ENGINE PARTS TO BUY/INSTALL:

-obtain good cable for NOS thermostat. $5

my thermostat cable, i don't think it's right, show me yours

Thermostat Cable

-obtain lower sled tins
-obtain exhaust hardware, inspect exhaust and determine if anything needs replacing.
-obtain FI intake runner boots $24
-obtain 2 oil change kits
-obtain rod bearings $40
-obtain cam bearings $30
-Paint tins and FI parts $freebie

BUS MECHANICALS (ESSENTIAL FOR DAILY DRIVIN'):

-Rebuild CV axles w/new boots (need 1 boot $8 )
obtain locking plates
-replace front shocks $90
-fill ball joints with grease through their torn up boots
-check tie rods for play, replace as needed
-get windshield wiper fluid working
-Remove and refurbish windshield wiper motor, new blades
-get hazards working
-obtain and install fire extinguisher retaining clamp

BUS MECHANICALS (CLEANING):

-Replace window rubber in front doors
-degrease front beam/suspension
-Remove and refurbish front door handles, locks.
-Passenger & Slider door lock matched to key. $45
-Fix the opened-door catch mechanism, doesn't hold door open atm
-sand, Ospho and Rustoleum insides of front doors, clear drain holes
-reinstall appropriate sound deaden-er in front doors
-Repair driver's side window regulator
-Install correct vapor barriers on doors
-Remove seats and carpeting, sweep out, simple green floors
-Insulate interior, clean
-Ospho and rustoleum any interior surface rust
-Wet-Vac rear seats
-obtain and install correct sliding door connecting rod, insulate
-obtain and install late bay locking decklid latch
-power wash carpets at car wash

EXTRAS:

-Add 1 knob in dash and install under-dash lighting
-replace all plastic dash vents

-----------------------------
I finally have all the engine parts in one place. Moving has been a real bitch.
They're in the back of my new daily driver, ready to take to the shop! After a good balancing, rounding/polishing, etc, I'll pay for that, my lifters & cam, and my bearings. then It will be rebuild time. I also ordered the AFC FI book from VW on ebay, it's a 1976 version but it will do when it comes to diagnosing and testing the components.

While I'm waiting on the shop, I'm going to start rounding up spare fuel injection parts for swapping, testing, and spares.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's impolite to post the costs of things, but I'm a bare-it-all kind of guy Wink

So I've been totaling up the cost of everything as I go, I made a list a few pages ago of my total $$$ into the bus. Now's time to budget out the cost of all the last engine work I need. Then I'll move on to FI shit.

Estimated Costs of Engine Work: Phase XXIV

Camshaft: $135.00 - cb performance
Lifters (matched): $112.00 - cb performance
Balance rotating mass: $180 - some machine shop.
Rod Bearings: $40 - Bughaus
Cam Bearings: $30 - AirCooled.net
Oil Gallery drilling, tapping, plugs: $80 - Bughaus
Estimated Total: $577 + tax, shipping

Savings goal: $700

secretsubmariner wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

secretsubmariner wrote:

Prices are approximate
Rings- $25
Hone Cylinders- $20
Type IV Seal Kit - $74
Trans Refresh (CV seals, nosecone seal, plastic hockey stick ball) - $125
Misc FI parts via Stuart (harness, odds n ends)- $120
Heads, P&C's - parts washer - $40

Approximate Total - $404.00

New figures to my total cost so far:
Bus parts purchased locally from Bughaus: $384.95
Parts and miscellaneous stuff (including fresh battery) from the FLAPS: $221.77

count with me class!
$404.00
+$384.95
+$221.77
$1010.72

cost of the head work,

$1010.72
+$232
$1242.72

I thought at some point in this thread this year I totaled up the entire cost of my bus so far... if I did I can't find it.

Bus: $2200 Embarassed I'm embarrassed LOL
Parts round 1: $404
Parts round 2: $385.95
Parts round 3: $221.77
Head work: $232
Bottom End: $700 (estimated)
Tires: $350 (waste of time, need new ones already)
Total: $4493.72

Seems like I'm missing some receipts, I think that's closer to about $5200...

Just comparing to the '8K' rule. You can buy a nicer driving bay for 8, or buy a shit one and spend 8K total to get it nicer and driving. I'm not cutting corners, fingers crossed I can put it back together for just under 7K total.

Hoping to have my bus to my new digs this weekend, and more frequent and meaningful updates will follow shortly. Twisted Evil

5 years ago I bought a bus. I took my time. I did lots of research, learned so much. I made lots of friends. I saved and spent as I went. It's been frustrating, painful (physically and mentally), but most of all, it's been rewarding. You sort of learn a new way of living after working on a bus for so long. The importance of patience, the importance of the journey, the importance of not taking the little things for granted. I'm definitely a different and better man than I would have been if I'd bought some other stupid common car...like a super beetle. Razz jk
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My case is fubar'd

well maybe not f'd beyond ALL reason..but f'd.

The shop has told me I need to get the case 'line bored'

I've heard this is rare for type 4 cases. anyway.

I'm stressin', homies!

So far, the rods will be rebuilt, and then the rotating mass will be balanced. I'm hoping to simultaneously get the case line bored and tapped/plugged on the oil galleries. I'm not purchasing a damn thing for rebuild until the machine work is done across the board.

Crying or Very sad

If anyone has any words of encouragement, or more particularly, a first-hand account of their experience and the cost of line boring a type IV case, I'd love to hear about it.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line boring is quite normal for engine rebuilds, and isn't a huge deal. Cracked cases, or broken cases, are a bigger deal Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line boring is only a problem if you cannot get the bearings of the appropriate size. In the past Type IV bearings where hard to get.
Have your crank mic'd and micro polished before buying bearings. This way if the crank needs to be turned you don't get stuck with the wrong size bearings.
Good luck
Tcash
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

It's been a big, fat minute since I updated.

Just got the case back from RIMCO VW in CA. Had the bore done along with tapping the oil galleries. Haven't opened the box yet.

Ordering up a hydraulic cam and lifters today.

Rounding the crank and having the rotating mass balanced asap.

I've saved about twice the amount of money I decided I'll need, because it always goes over budget with money and with time.

After that, I'll get all the bearings I need and we'll start rebuilding. I'm hoping to start the rebuild by my birthday in May, but we'll see.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Funny you post today. Was going to text Stuart today to see what Happen to you. Sounds like you got a good game plan.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Hey Xevin. I was growing restless and started to be more of a do-er rather than a talker. Staying off the computer. Saving money and trying not to get burned out, really. My life has had way too many ups and downs (more downs than ups lately) so I've stayed away from the occasional toxic environment this place can be sometimes.

Still got major love for my bus tho
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I feel you there bud!

Excited to hear more details Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Stuart your dash is lookin' real fine these days.

My crank and lifters came in from RIMCO. Super stoked, they are very nice looking.

Over the past 6 or 8 months, I uprooted my home and everything in my life to be with my girlfriend, only to have it all blow up in my face. What an awful thing it has all become. So now, I'm back at my old place, sans girlfriend, with boxes of my engine shit all over the house and shed. So yesterday I consolidated and found all my internals that I stashed after we split the case.

So far I have pistons, crank, fan, fan hub, clutch disc, flywheel, pressure place, rods and all the bolts set aside. The only thing I'm waiting on...hearing back from RIMCO about whether or not they can polish/turn the crank before balancing the rotating mass. Once it's back I'll just need bearings for the crank and cam, and rebuilding will commence... Hopefully just a couple more weeks, and maybe I'll have everything done and ready by my birthday in May. We'll see tho.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Dude...sorry to hear about Stephanie Sad

Can't wait to see this thing built again!!!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Stick with it man! I want to see you driving that bus again! Very Happy

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Dude...sorry to hear about Stephanie Sad

Can't wait to see this thing built again!!!

It's all good. Rolling Eyes I can't fucking roll my eyes hard enough about her. Such a heartbreaker. Sometimes you give love your all, and it crumples you up like garbage and throws you away.

I'm going full force on it. I just need something positive in my life right now. Investing in a future full of adventures is helping, sort of.

Bala wrote:
Stick with it man! I want to see you driving that bus again!

Thanks bud! I'd like to make my way to a VW show in Texas this year or early 2017, depending on how she does. We'll see!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I hope when you said 'split the case' that it wasnt part of the settlement....
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

LOL. No, just the literal splitting of the case halves for rebuilding. I made sure to keep all my assets independent.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

sorry about your troubles. Keep yourself busy it makes it a bit easier. Ive been following since the beginning i want to see youtube vids of that bus running.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I've been doing little things and hanging in the bus with some friends to keep the ju-ju strong. finally have enough cardboard together to ship the shit to rimco safely for my standards. pictured here are my drummer (front seat), my brothers gf (girl), and my buddy Josh with me on the center seat.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Wow you grew your hair out! Haha

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Yeah...I grow it, I cut it, I grow it, etc. Y'know, the usual hair type shit. lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 55

Jump to: