Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 psi Electric Fuel pump & 32/36 DFAV
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gadgetman728
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: 3 psi Electric Fuel pump & 32/36 DFAV Reply with quote

My mechanical fuel pump died today. I'm thinking about ordering the purolator pro# 42S Part # 1008 from Appletree for 44 bucks.

Do I need to get a pressure regulator too or will the 3 PSI advertised be ok for a Weber 32/36 DFAV?

1600DP DR, Mild cam, empi 4 into 1 with a turbo muffler.
Gadgetman728
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
shred625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mechanical with an electric backup as required for racing class 9. I dont know about the pump you are talking about but I was talking to someone at FAT and he said that 3lbs is the max. They insisted that it is a must to run a regulator.

I know its not much but that is all I got.
tanner_122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya my oldd motor had duel dell 40's on it i ran a holly Red pump but i had a regulator set at 3 PSI
Gadgetman728
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
The filter was plugged, replaced, buggy started. I still want to go electric and will include a regulator in the process.

This is the greatest forum ever. I dig my sand rail better than any of the bikes I've had.
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buggy came with a low pressure electric pump on it and It runs great....no issues. It's nice if the car sits for weeks/ months, turn the key on for a few seconds and the carbs top up with gas. Then it starts right up.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20 and you get a new mechanical fuel pump.
Don't have to worry about the pump running on after an accident. It shuts off with the engine.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spize909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So being new to this VW thing I was prompted to go out and see if I had a regulator in in-line that I somehow could have missed.
As I figured no regulator and I am running the Purolator pump that the op listed. If I remember correctly my pressure is about 4 lbs.....
What is the purpose of the regulator? Consistant fuel flow?
Why do I need one?

Forgot tot mention, I'm running dual IDA 48's.
Gadgetman728
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: regulator Reply with quote

It's my understanding that too High fuel pressure is as bad as too Low fuel pressure. Run what the carb Manu. recommends.
spize909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then. I will need to get a regulator. The buggy was running crappy at the end of our last trip and I just replaced the element in the fuel filter and I have a tad over 5psi from the fuel pump. I thought that's what it was usually at.
I did a little research and it seems the dual 48's should be at 3-3.5 to run properly.
I have read the chrome ones with the dial are junk. Any recommendations on a capable regulator that won't break the bank? I'll be having to purchase some AN fittings as well so it's going to get fairly expensive.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.........it all seems to go together.
Gadgetman728
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: pressure regulator Reply with quote

After a bit of surfing, I found some Holly Fuel regulators for about $36. The come in a couple of PSI ratings, choose the one for your carb. Most of the popular parts houses have them. I found them with minimal trouble.
spize909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: pressure regulator Reply with quote

Gadgetman728 wrote:
After a bit of surfing, I found some Holly Fuel regulators for about $36. The come in a couple of PSI ratings, choose the one for your carb. Most of the popular parts houses have them. I found them with minimal trouble.

Saw them. My local supplier has them as well and that's probably what I will go with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: