Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

I am in the prosess of getting my Allstate swivel wheel trailer up to par for road readiness. And thought I would start a thread on part numbers, and locations to get service parts I.E. bearings, tires and such all in one location. Because it has taken me a little while to figure out what and where to get them myself. Hope this helps, maybe it could be made a sticky?

Please dont post negative comments here, theres plenty of other threads to do that in, or start your own. This is for helping others locate parts to service their allstate swivel wheel trailers along with set it up properly, your input is welcome and desired. I will edit this first post with any new info I get.

For other info and cool swivel wheel trailers check out http://singlewheel.com/

Wheel bearing assembly=

Bearing sub assembly part #s as follows=

#29 on owners manual, Cone (actual roller bearings) part #09074 Found it at Auto zone, $33 for two.

#30 on owners manual, Cup (inner race) part # 09195 Bought 2 (each from seperate sellers) for a total of $12.XX off ebay shipped.

#31 on owners maual, Grease retainer (outer seal) Rotary Shaft Seal, SKF Part #11615, $12 for both

I have not yet installed this bearing, but intend on doing so. I have both a steel one piece wheel and a aluminum two piece wheel in the garage at this point, and have disassembled the steel wheel completely, and can say that both aluminum and steel wheels have the same inner and outter diameters for the bearing

*Edit, changed source for cup, and and cone*

Tire and tube=

4.80x8 or 4.80 8 (the second # is the rim size, 8")

A common trailer tire, found many places localy, Walmart/Farm and Fleet, and such.

Some use a 4.00x8 scooter tire (I would figure so they can run a white wall). I have seen warnings on not doing so in my search, and can only assume that they are both smaller in diameter and width, which would not be good as these tires are already rather small and spin rather fast compared to a car tire so the bigger the tire the better, and the slower the bearing spins.

Swivel washer= To be or not to be?

Ive read online that there should be a grease impregnated large felt or plastic washer inbetween the pivot casting and pivot block (parts # 17 and 18 of the parts break down listed below). However after reviewing the schematic of the parts break down I do not see anything originaly placed in the swivel. Original owners manual says you will need to use a very thick grease, I would think like a 5th wheel grease. This also goes along with me finding nothing in the swivel of my first Allstate, which I would believe was never taken appart till I did, the trailer was very original.

Other helpfull hints Ive come across that may help are.

*Mount your trailer so that the front is slightly lower. This will help with caster wheel tracking. Wheel will have a tendancy to follow and not wobble back and forth as it would if you mount the trailer with the front higher than the rear.

*fork pivot should be adjusted tight enough to get rid of play and still swivel freely

*Make sure mounts are solid! This will prevent bending of brackets and improve tracking by eliminating flex.

*Wheel bearings should be adjusted so there is a little play in it. (noted in owners manual)

Owners manual/parts break down for a Wood box model trailer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps anyone looking to get their Sears single wheel ( swivel wheel ) trailer up and road ready, or any other swivel wheel trailer for that matter.

Moderator note:
A history link from later in this thread:
JLT wrote:
Well, folks, I've gone and done it. I've cobbled together a history of the Sears single wheel trailers from 1939 to around 1975, which is (I believe) when Sears stopped carrying them. It can be found at:
http://midtown.net/dragonwing/sears%20SWT.htm
If any of you have additions, corrections, etc., just let me know.

Last edited by vintagevwnut on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 am; edited 14 times in total
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU! Have a bare frame that i will be building into a wood box trailer. I had seen an ad for repro's of the ID plate but when i contacted the seller he had none left. may end up using an ID tag off an old sears silvertone radio to get the plates on..
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it helps. I had to look all over to find bearing #s, found em here. But any other info is hard to find, especialy about the fork swivel. And what is or isnt used on it. The plastic seems like I should be able to find a washer of sorts to just drop in and go, at least thats the hope. I need to get back out the garage and measure the inner and outer dia of what would work, my backs acting up so I havent done much in the last two weeks. If I cant find one I plan on buying some derlin and making a washer, you can find it on ebay. But figured I had a hell of a time locating info, and that it may help others to put as much info together in one place to save some searching. I will probably email singlewheel.com with my results if I can come up with enough.

As far as vins, I sold a extra vin a week ago, you just missed out. I bought it about a year and a half ago and they were getting hard to find then. This guy makes a lot of repro plates, vins and such and sells on ebay, maybe contact him and see if he'd make some. May have to buy a bunch but ya never know. http://shop.ebay.com/lt.horne/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I got lucky, the trailer I have now has one, and all I need to get a title for it is my bill of sale since it was bought from a state that does not require titles. Check at your DMV and see if a title is required, not all states do. And if not, you dont need a vin, long shot, but crazier things have happened. Good luck on the trailer.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnrbry, pm sent.

Last edited by vintagevwnut on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i have found the parts list that lists the timken Bearing sub assembly part #s as
timken cone # 09074 or 09078
Timken cup # 09195
grease retainer #T-49550
it lists the pivot washer as just that. a 3/4 washer..i will be taking mine apart and looking at mine but just having a washer in there with grease sounds like it works.I have found several oil impregnated thrust bearings at MSCdirect.com. I guess if you wanted you could use a thrust bearing in there but don't know if you need that much.
this all comes off the Allstate Wood trailer Parts list, model # 231-508 on singlewheel.com from a guy there named Burke
I cant load them here as they are HUGE. but they have a good illustration of all the parts (including the hitch assembly)
it is on the literature page. about half way down and 2nd under the red VW Smile

all i ended up with on mine was everything except the box. Which had the vin plate. and i am here in CALIFORNIA. where the police are very thorough Sad sooo.. i will be building a box using the above referenced dimensions and rolling it behind the ghia. (after i modify my bumper attachments. i will post pics once i start..thanks for the PM and i hope that i can do this without resorting to some underhanded vin issues..
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a og vin tag for a wood box allstate. Its to bad this happened after I got rid of it as it would be headed to you for sure, and would be able to give any other specifics on dimensions if need be. B ut I'm pretty sure he'll sell it as he won't need it. I've left a msfg for him already and will pm you details.

One thing about the floors on the wood box's iis that they are tongue and groove 3/4" thick. So if you could locate enough long hardwood flooring pieces it may look realy sweet with a coat or ten of finish. Just a thought. I'm considering pulling the steel floor on my box and doing a similar thing as it is rotted though in spots. I have the steel art deco style trailer now. The one I just sold was a wood box, og patina paint, actualy in better shape than my current one. The things we do for style. Lol

Last edited by vintagevwnut on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to be honest all i have done is collect it from a yard full of stuff and store it for now.

I will clean it all up and get it going but have other priorities right now. ( i have not even finished my DD ghia Sad ) but will do a "restore" thread once i can get it reg'ed with some sort of vin and year correct plate..
(whoa holy big picture batman)

Last edited by lnrbry on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, thats a big pic, I cant load the thread on my phone now.
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried making it smaller..no luck..but will post parts list and instructions for allstate box trailer in my profile later tonight which you do want as large as possible.Also have more shots of my rusty frame as well (now available in large sizes!)
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your pics. Nice that you got all the brakets, wish I had all of them like you got. Will make mounting that easier. I have the u bracket, and the next piece and thats it. I will fab the rest.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lnrbry"]hey i have found the parts list that lists the timken Bearing sub assembly part #s as
timken cone # 09074 or 09078
Timken cup # 09195
grease retainer #T-49550
it lists the pivot washer as just that. a 3/4 washer..i will be taking mine apart and looking at mine but just having a washer in there with grease sounds like it works.I have found several oil impregnated thrust bearings at MSCdirect.com. I guess if you wanted you could use a thrust bearing in there but don't know if you need that much.
this all comes off the Allstate Wood trailer Parts list, model # 231-508 on singlewheel.com from a guy there named Burke
I cant load them here as they are HUGE. but they have a good illustration of all the parts (including the hitch assembly)
it is on the literature page. about half way down and 2nd under the red VW Smile

quote]

I see two parts have #s that dont match so I did not put them in the sub assembly parts list, I fear maybe they have changed #s or something you never know, or they could be for another company. I have also seen the 49550 number on my grease seal so I do know it is correct and will work.

I wish I would have measured the fork assembly I sold before I dropped it off for what size pivot washer would work, but forgot. Duh.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also thanks for the heads up on the literature page, I didnt see that one.
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be dissasembling mine in the next few weeks. I will post a link to the teardown/ rebuild thread here. I will document the pivot washer thrust bearing and also see what I can find to fit it. And I will make sure to re-adjust my camera for smaller pics! Also have now posted parts list from single wheel.com for wood trailer in my profile. they are also very large..
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the pics from your profile, those are VERY helpful! You have realy helped with locating that, cant believe I didnt see that there before. It has answered the question of if there should be a felt or plastic washer in the pivot assembly for me. There is nothing shown there at all, just grease is used. That has puzzled me for some time.

Also I wonder what the bearing part # differences are from what I had found online here from a users posting and what the catalog is. His worked, but are different from the original part#s listed in the owners manual. hmmm. Im learning.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive changed a few things around on the first post, and intend on doing so if new info comes in.
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnrbry wrote:
I had seen an ad for repro's of the ID plate but when i contacted the seller he had none left. may end up using an ID tag off an old sears silvertone radio to get the plates on..

I have one of those plates from that seller, it's still in it's original packing and hasn't been stamped with my vin# yet. I'll go ahead and take some detailed pics and dimensions of it so somebody can print their own or have one made.
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninamashr wrote:
lnrbry wrote:
I had seen an ad for repro's of the ID plate but when i contacted the seller he had none left. may end up using an ID tag off an old sears silvertone radio to get the plates on..

I have one of those plates from that seller, it's still in it's original packing and hasn't been stamped with my vin# yet. I'll go ahead and take some detailed pics and dimensions of it so somebody can print their own or have one made.

That would be VERY nice. BTW i see that you have a Vespa mudguard on your trailer along with a scooter tire. THAT IS A NICE TRAILER! The mudguard really sets it all off.
Have you had any issues with the tire? and when you pulled the bearings, and spacer was there any problems with the spacer? did it wear at all? as i have said above mine will get torn apart and i will measure and post so that the first post will have all this info.
I may also have some modifications to make to mine which i will withhold until i figure it all out Smile
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spacers are great, but the bearings have rust spots, so I dont want to risk them seizing.

I just ordered a Allstate Mud gaurd last night off ebay $15 shipped. Cool
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me wanna go look at his setup, that is sweet. What I ordered was the rubber actual mud gaurd to hang down. I think to add one to that fender would be sweet as well. Nice trailer, puts mine to shame right now, its a basket case. But I just got it two weekends ago, its my third one, two previous were wood box, but never had a chance to pull one just yet.

My new one

Forgot I got these also, and will use them on my Corvan

vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im considering cutting the floor out and doing hardwood flooring, but like I said a resto will be a while, Ill roll it like this for now, Im not to proud to do so, in fact Im just proud to even have this one, Ive wanted one for 10 years like this. Things just worked perfect, got a bonus for Christmas, and found this at a great price, the stars aligned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: