Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It can be done! Flaking a buggy in your garage! Lots of pics
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: It can be done! Flaking a buggy in your garage! Lots of pics Reply with quote

I have been researching and working on flaking a buggy. This being the first car that I have ever paint and not knowing what I was doing I did a lot of research!! The first attemped was a month ago that ended in a complete mess. Let me tell you what I did so you dont do what I did. I read a lot online about the Roth Flake Bomber spray gun, it is a dry gun. The problem I had was on the vertical surfaces. I did not stick well and just fell to the floor. I tried to put on more clear but then it ran. It also did not go on evenly, when I was done there was places you could see a lot of the basecoat red, it just did not come out of the gun smoothly. Had to shake the gun and would go on thick and thin in spots. Not that the flake bomber is a bad gun, I just dont recommend it to flake a whole car. Would be ok to do small items like motorcycle gas tanks or fenders ect. So on to the second attempt. After wet sanding it all smooth, even sanded some of the red off the flake knowing I would cover it with new flake latter. This time I added 2 tablespoons of flake to one quart of clear. What I did it was add 2 marbles to the gravity feed sprayer. I keep the marbles moving to keep the flake from sinking. As I sprayed in one hand I had flake in the other and would blow the flake on where it needed. Be careful not to inhale the flake!! Laughing It worked great, did 3 coats like this. Then I did 4 coats of clear. Today I wet sanded the clear and this weekend I will do two more coats of clear. The flake was Roth Ruined Retna Red. I used PPG Shop Line products witch I was very happy with. If you do plan on flaking a buggy here is what you need. Gravity feed spray gun with size 8 nozle, 1 pound flake 2 gl clear with fast hardner and lots of 220 sand paper. Here are the pics of each step, after I did after preping, sanding and filling on the body.
Prime with epoxy primer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Prime with tinted epoxy primer

wet sand with 220 to find all scratches and fill

sealer coat of epoxy primer

basecoat of red

the stuff 1 pound comes in a big bag

3 coats flake

close up cant wait to get it in the sun!!!

Last edited by ccbuggy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
FuzzyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I have been contemplating flaking my buggy as well. I have been researching this for some time and have had limited results. I have been asking around bass boat repair shops (figuring they have to have some damage sooner or later). Some seem interested and some did not want to divulge any secrets on how they flake it. Others just about showed me the door. Thanks for sharing your experience, it has given me new hope.
Do you know if its possible to use larger flake? I want to duplicate original gel coated flake if possible. I figure if I am going to do it, why not dream big. I am sure there is a way, I just need to find out who and how much.
Elwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great.
I like the look of that flake on your buggy. I have been thinking of doing green or blue myself.

Theres another type of flake gun that works by cranking a handle and it actually flicks the glitter at the surface. It would be a 2 man job to use it though.
I believe the Flake gun is for the really large diameter flake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger flakes can be shot the same way, you just have to get the correct orifice on the nozzle. The marbles are old-school and very proper to use. I'm glad you stumbled onto that. There still are "real" flake guns out there that keep the mix suspended, but for the backyard (garage) hound, marbles or ball bearings work just dandy. Nice job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyBug wrote:

Do you know if its possible to use larger flake? I want to duplicate original gel coated flake if possible. I figure if I am going to do it, why not dream big. I am sure there is a way, I just need to find out who and how much.

I used Roths Standard size witch is 015. They make monster flake witch is 025. The 015. was twice as big as the original gel flake on my Manx. I didn't want to go to big to keep with the original look of the Manx. Also they dont sell sell the flake by the pound on the site. You can call them and they give a pretty good discount when you buy a pound. I paid around $70 for a pound, better then $120 for 8 2 oz jars.
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/main.html
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Larger flakes can be shot the same way, you just have to get the correct orifice on the nozzle. The marbles are old-school and very proper to use. I'm glad you stumbled onto that. There still are "real" flake guns out there that keep the mix suspended, but for the backyard (garage) hound, marbles or ball bearings work just dandy. Nice job!

Man you did it the hard way! Good going on your completion though.

There are agitator cups that continuously mix the substrate via a small air turbine, perfect for metal flake.
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good!

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your respirator was where as you were blowing on this flake. Do you know ISOCAYNATE fumes will and can kill you??? Seriously......

But it does look awesome!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Just be careful man.....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Glamis Addict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
And your respirator was where as you were blowing on this flake. Do you know ISOCAYNATE fumes will and can kill you??? Seriously......

But it does look awesome!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Just be careful man.....
I was thinking the same Surprised

Looks good.
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:

Ya but its a really cheep high!! JUST KIDDING!! I had it well ventilated with fans blowing out side and a fan inside with a filter on it, you can see it in one of the pictures. If I was doing it every day I would worry about it.
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why 'the man' is always wanting to ban stuff. If only people would use products how they were meant to be used in a safe manner. Nice paint by the way.
ccbuggy wrote:
MURZI wrote:

Ya but its a really cheep high!! JUST KIDDING!! I had it well ventilated with fans blowing out side and a fan inside with a filter on it, you can see it in one of the pictures. If I was doing it every day I would worry about it.

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccbuggy wrote:
MURZI wrote:

I am not kidding........ Isocyanates will kill you. Like now, like today, all it takes is once. Seriously, nothing to mess with.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
pittcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: More information wanted Reply with quote

I think this is really neat. I did have a question though, in all my gravity feed hvlp guns the fluid tip size is 1.3,1.5, 1.8 etc. What is a number 8 nozzle?
If I read your explanation correctly you had the flake gun in one hand and the gravity feed in another and kind of sprayed them at the same time?
Looks great, a pic outside would be cool. Cool
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As he hasn't posted since last Friday, would someone drive by ccbuggy's house & see if he didn't succumb to the isocyanate fumes?

Rolling Eyes

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: More information wanted Reply with quote

pittcrew wrote:
I think this is really neat. I did have a question though, in all my gravity feed hvlp guns the fluid tip size is 1.3,1.5, 1.8 etc. What is a number 8 nozzle?
If I read your explanation correctly you had the flake gun in one hand and the gravity feed in another and kind of sprayed them at the same time?

I'd imagine the tip is a 1.8, one of the largest for that gun. It sounds like he had a handful of flake that he would blow onto the areas that were "weak", and shot the rest with the gravity feed.
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: More information wanted Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
pittcrew wrote:

I'd imagine the tip is a 1.8, one of the largest for that gun. It sounds like he had a handful of flake that he would blow onto the areas that were "weak", and shot the rest with the gravity feed.

Yes it was 1.8 not 8. Yes that how I did it because I was wasn't getting a even spread with the flake bomber and would just fall to the floor on the vertical surfaces.
ccbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
As he hasn't posted since last Friday, would someone drive by ccbuggy's house & see if he didn't succumb to the isocyanate fumes?

Rolling Eyes

bnc

I'm fine. I did the final wet sand and 3 more coats of clear with a respirator on yesterday , came out awesome!! Can't wait till the snow melts and I can roll it out in the sun!!!!
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really nice. Like the color. Wink
mwcopi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but, ive got one more show and my "original" is going under the knife! Does anyone have any pics of this buggy out in the sun by chance? I have had it too long to change color so i want to keep it close to the gel coat in color.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: