Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon has lack of power going up a hill
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a single progressive two barrel carb there is no way it's going to get good mileage as there is no means to preheat the carb and icing is an issue then.

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I typically got 23-24 mpg in daily use, and on long highway trips have done 24-26 mpg at 65 mph against a head wind for tank after tank. Yes I run the heated intake air as was stock on 72-74 models and have some carb base heat so icing isn't an issue. People can knock these carbs all they want, but properly set up they are as good or better than the alternatives.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just LOVE this subject line of this topic....

"Vanagon has lack of power going up a hill"

wouaaah... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Very Happy
metroatlantacomputers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the two barrel carb set up. I do not have any heating mechanism to prevent icing. From all the post I do thin FI is the way to go. And I have found out that the vanagans have more weight therefore less power because of weight, but they have more torque. Thank everybody for helping me. And I am new to the samba post thing...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be shy about coming back. Altho your reason for posting was sincere/serious. It's just the title that was making us laugh. A few go faster than most! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon has lack of power going up a hill Reply with quote

I installed a Eurovan 2.5L 5cyl (109hp, 140ft#)engine into Mom's 86 automatic Westy.
she still says it it lacks power and is slow to go up hills. Rolling Eyes
I don't have the heart to install the 240hp SVX i have under the bench in her van, she's nearly 70 afterall. Mad

it's in the perspective, enjoy the journey, it's a trip!

metroatlantacomputers wrote:
My Vanagon is a camper so it has a little more weight that the regular vanagon. The van had fuel injection originally. When I purchased the van it was switched over to a carburetor. I am thinking about switching back to fuel injection. The vanagon is getting terrible gas mileage as well. Please help...!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jalopyjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.....im wondering if youre changin one can of worms for another...the carbs already on there and wildthings has good points...i am by no means a carb advocate but they definitely have their advantages, especially when installed on an older vehicle...and a heavy one to boot....electricals get quirky and gremlins are damn hard to find at times.....

are you still using the phenolic block from the injection setup as the gasket?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: