Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

Almost done with exhaust work. Planning radiator/cooling next. Looking for ideas and suggestions from those who have been down this road. 2.5 in a 69 single cab so belly mounted radiator is my only option i think. Radiator choices - crossflow/downflow? Inlet/outlet tanks on sides or front/rear? My plan is to weld up 1.5" exhaust tube routed along the frame rails with raditor hose making the eng. & radiator connections. I'll be using an expansion tank since the radiator will be lower than the engine.
All ideas/suggestions welcome. PM me if you would like to avoid the haters.
Thanks Jon
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

I have toyed with the idea of putting the radiator up front just inside the skin and ducting the hot air downward as done on a Vanagon. For the inlet opening in the skin I was thinking about a cutout the shape of a VW symbol.
68 Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

my bay is slammed and wouldn't work for me to run the
radiator underneath being so low so mounted the radiator on top
of my roof rack, running the cooling lines through the side vents of the bay
also had a guy make me a cover, which ended up looking like a cooler so hope that helps and this is what i mean.

https://youtu.be/1EZTz_ZwHaI
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

Belly mount is your best bet, id use a dodge ram radiator, as it fits nicely between the rails and gives the best cooling you need.

I saw something about a barbed fitting for the thermostat housing...

http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Cooling%20System.htm

This should explain it better than me haha .
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

68 Bay wrote:
my bay is slammed and wouldn't work for me to run the
radiator underneath being so low so mounted the radiator on top
of my roof rack, running the cooling lines through the side vents of the bay
also had a guy make me a cover, which ended up looking like a cooler so hope that helps and this is what i mean.

https://youtu.be/1EZTz_ZwHaI

Did Steve in Dallas make this for you?
Have you finished this set up yet to know if it works for sure?
Not a Priest.
mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

[quote="mlesniak"]Belly mount is your best bet, id use a dodge ram radiator, as it fits nicely between the rails and gives the best cooling you need.

What year/model Ram are you referring to? Have you used this radiator?
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

Any dodge ram pickup, id stick with late 90s to early 00s since theyre available and affordable. And i have not used this but ive been researching conversions for a while... Its the 5.9l to be exact.

And also ive talked to lots if people with subaru conversions using the dodge ram radiator and the belly mount and there seems to be no better way... The guy driving his bus around south america (Argentina now... Has a forum posted on here) in his subaru baywindow uses the same setup. Very efficient and clean, im also going this route...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

mlesniak wrote:
there seems to be no better way.....

custom aluminum. can withstand strikes. plastic tanked radiators and they way they need to be mounted appear to be issues waiting to happen.

plus, the weight of a radiator full of coolant, fan & fan mount don't do the side tanks and their shoelace seals any favors either.a radiator gets pretty heavy with coolant in it. ymmv...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jokgel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

like this maybe

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
mlesniak wrote:
there seems to be no better way.....

custom aluminum. can withstand strikes.

I never considered a plastic tank unit. Does not seem like a great option. I guess it would need some sort of cage/bracket installation.

Skills are saying have a custom aluminum radiator built?

jokgel that front end install looks great. What are you using for coolant lines?

68 bay. Nice setup on top. Another great option for a bus - not a pickup. Guess you might have clearance issues in some garages. Are you using 1.5 " hose for the whole setup?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

Nice job, very similar to what I had in mind. Wink

jokgel wrote:
like this maybe

mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

The "Theres seems to be no better way" comment was regarding the belly mount cooling set up... Not the dodge ram radiator, however many seem to have used it for their conversion. I was going to also ...but i just found this

All aluminum from a 98 grand cherokee

http://m.genesisautoparts.com/product/all41636x2335aa.htm?gclid=CJbuhIvIjMoCFVQYHwodaeQIUw
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

How about this one? From Marshalls thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=220
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

mack00 wrote:

Skills are saying have a custom aluminum radiator built?

Shhh

loose lips sink ships. I went thru a lot b.s. on my swap. someone asked what radiator I was using so I told them and they ran the other way due to cost. that was the moment I decided that most guys won't spend the money or take my (very hard earned, expensive for me to figure out) advice. so why bother giving it out?

the only thing I would say is I have seen plastic tanks leak on a conventional aluminum/plastic radiators that were installed in the cars they were designed for. I feel laying them flat is a bad idea due to mounting configurations.

I spoke at length with webwalker about his layout and at the end of the day, his may not cool as good as he hopes.

I would use an aluminum radiator.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jokgel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

I use 32mm rubber hose with Amering . The first time I did a Citroen Berlingo radiator used . After mounting the winch I had to use a self-made .

Radiator from citroen berlingo you can rotate 90 degrees . And the two terminals are on one side . Passing between the frame
jokgel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

looks like this .

jokgel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

I still have a few old pictures found Rolling Eyes

mack00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

http://webwrench.smugmug.com/Cars/VW-Bus-Conversion/i-2S2jS4q/0/X2/20141128_174154-X2.jpg

Something like Marshalls design is what I may try. I would tilt the leading edge down forming more of a ram air effect on top. Puller fans on the bottom. Seal of the sides & rear so a higher pressure is built on top. Don't like the idea of Marshalls design pulling the hot air up. But obviously I haven't finished and his design may work fine.

Skills I can appreciate you not preaching what works & doesn't work. I know you spent a lot of money and time figuring out a good system. Please don't go the way of Jake and let the haters drive you away. We/I appreciate your work. Can you suggest radiator style you found to work best. As in tank orientation/inlet/outlet crossflow/downflow?
This may be an option for coolant lines.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.ph...tnum=24924

jokgel that is great setup. I imagine it works very well. Not sure I'm ready to tackle that much fab work. Thanks for sharing.
jokgel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

I know, a lot of work . I also believe that it is a good thing to put the radiator on the back of a roof Grind .
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion cooling/radiator suggestions/ideas. Reply with quote

The reason I went with the Dodge Ram is because the local Napa had it in stock, it was dual core, and the inlet/outlet were reasonable. If I had more time during my build Skillz radiator would be the way to go, all aluminum and better inlet/outlet. Mines been through hell on this trip but there's still more risk. Also I would I stall the fans on top like skills did as well, my radiator as a scoop doesn't work as well and makes the radiator hang down more.

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: